December 22, 2014 | 1612 users online

Concealers - By Terry - Touche Veloutee Highlighting Concealer

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2014 4:33:00 PM More reviews by LUVrascal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This isn't a full coverage concealer, so I don't use it on days when my undereye circles are especially prominent. I have bluish circles from allergies and insomnia and while they're not extremely dark they do stand out because I'm so pale (NW10). Usually I switch around between Cle de Peau in Ivory, and Armani High Precision Retouch but have also been using this for the last year. I love this for the silky, extremely smooth texture, lightweight consistency, and because it melts into skin so beautifully. My skin is normal but dryish sometimes, especially in winter, and this doesn't cling to the dry areas or look like it's sitting on top of my skin. I occasionally use it around my nose area when allergies turn my nostril area pink. It's as thin and liquid as a sheer foundation, so it spreads so well and is incredibly easy to blend out.

I have this in Porcelain and it's a perfect match. It's slightly brightening but in the most sophisticated, subtle way possible. I like that it doesn't shimmer or look typically light reflective like the Armani or Clinique's Airbrush Concealer. Honestly I think this has the best finish I've ever seen in a liquid concealer. Sets well and sinks in quickly and doesn't retain the original creamy texture once it's on skin, so if I set it with a little loose powder it doesn't cake up at all. Best of all I can build it up where needed without it pilling or looking unnatural. I dislike fragrance in any skincare/beauty products but I don't mind the light rose scent in this. It dissipates fast and doesn't irritate my sensitive skin.

I never use the attached brushes on these types of products for hygienic reasons. I dispense it on the back of my (clean) hand then use my fingers or a concealer brush to apply it to my skin. I wish this came in a pump bottle or with a doe foot applicator so I could control how much is dispensed. A full click is too much and I always end up wasting some.

This is amazing if you're a fan of lightweight concealers or if you aren't a fan of heavy products on your skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/31/2014 11:16:00 PM More reviews by eunicelanna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

For reference, I am mixed race (caucasian & south-east asian) and about NC30-35 with warm yellow undertones. My skin tends to be combination/oily but can experience surface dryness and my eye area is pretty dehydrated (with oily lids of course - awesome). I love undetectable makeup, like the kind you see in photoshopped magazine editorials, and I balk at the sight of obvious pigment creasing or mascara clumps!

My under-eye area is my primary beauty concern because I've had bags ever since I was a little girl (made more prominent by an epicanthic fold), and a couple of years ago I was in a car accident that left me with two black eyes for weeks, which have never completely gone away - the blood kind of pooled at the bottom of my eye bags. Sounds pretty, right!

I have trouble finding the right under-eye concealer because nothing can eradicate shadows caused by bags unless I have surgery or filler, and the worst of the darkness is not immediately under my eyes but low (level with half-way down my nose), which would make anyone look 20 years older or like a drug addict. Other concealers I've tried are Laura Mercier's Secret Concealer (looked obvious in photos, too cakey and gave me milia-like bumps on my skin, common with overly emollient eye products), NARS Radiant Concealer (good but a bit dry and cakey, and Ginger was too dark for me), Dermablend (pretty good but cakey), Revlon Age Rewind (dry, bad shade selection), Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage (not suitable for under-eyes at all), MAC Studio Finish (similar to Dermablend but too waxy and cakey, and wrong colour), Sephora Smoothing & Brightening Concealer (most similar to Touche Veloutee, but bad shade selection).

For the record, I dislike YSL's Touche Eclat, just because it doesn't do anything for me and it's best to not add makeup when it has no benefit, and also because the shades are ashy. Touche Veloutee is very similar, however the formulation just seems more elegant and the coverage is much better. The texture is whisper thin and this is great for the inverted triangle method to brighten the centre of your face if your skin is good. The packaging is pretty and I think it works well - you just press the button once and immediately enough product comes out for both eyes, but I find it hard to open sometimes if my hands are sweaty. The problems I have are that the finish is semi-matte and slightly dry, so it can catch on the dry parts on the surface of my skin. It really isn't the worst offender out of all available base products though - my eyes have been very dry lately and when I smile they crinkle horribly, but this doesn't make them look as bad as the NARS Radiant concealer, for instance. It also doesn't exacerbate the little bumps under my eyes, but it does settle into fine lines a little (not as badly as Laura Mercier Secret Concealer). I use #03 Beige, and it's a little too light for me so I look "made-up" as opposed to natural, and as it dries to a semi-matte finish, it can just generally look dry and flat. The worst problem for me is that it doesn't provide sufficient coverage. It blurs the darkness a little, especially near my tear ducts, but I have to use Armani's corrector underneath and even then the darkness shows through. Because both are thin and watery, it doesn't look cakey but they both dry matte and cling to the skin so I just wish I didn't have to wear so much product!

I swatched Ellis Faas' concealer at Mecca Cosmetica and they're very similar, though Ellis Faas seems more of a satin finish and looks slightly sheerer in coverage.

I'm glad I own this but it's not totally right for me. I'm still searching and will try Armani Retouch, Cle de Peau or La Mer The Radiant Concealer next. I will report back!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2014 10:34:00 AM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This highlighter/concealer is an excellent product in terms of coverage and value. For example, while the price is higher than YSL's Touche Eclat (which the Terry in By Terry originally designed), one gets a lot more product, costing much less per ounce. It covers my under eye circles well and I also use it to cover up any redness around my nose and mouth. The color I use is Ivory, the lightest of the bunch, and it is a perfect match for my fair, cool skin. I apply it before foundation.

My sole complaint is the brush. I don't use it. Rather, I only use the brush to place the product in the corner of each eye and use my Trish McEvoy Cream Blender brush #66 or my finger to blend the product as the brush attached to the tube is too stiff and imprecise. Also, a little goes a very long way, making it even more economical. And it does not crease, leaving a powdery matte finish behind instead. It definitely was an excellent purchase, a real problem-solver for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/19/2014 10:17:00 PM More reviews by s3za

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a concealer addict so I didn't hesitate to try this one out when recommende by the ladies at Mecca maxima - but boy am I soooo disappointed in this over hyped over priced supposed "best non creasing under eye" concealer. The brush is so stiff and I feel like it absorbs a lot of the product rather than applying it onto the skin. The product feels watery and then slightly oily when blending out with my finger. The Mecca lady matched me to the wrong colour (number 4) which turns out very pink and makes me look like I hve a rash when wearing. It creases pretty much immediately, even when setting with a powder (also without setting). Have tried it with eye cream, eye primers , other concealers and I have to say I actually hate this product. For $80 I could have bought my favourite revlon anti age eye concealer 5 times over. My favourite concealers this far would be nars creamy concealer, Estée Lauder double wear concealer and revlon anti aging eye concealer. This by terry one would be on my "never buy again" list- but majority of my opinion comes down to the ridiculous price for such a mediocre formular that dupes it's buyers into believing it's amazing from the over pretentious packaging. Would highly NOT recommend this

rated 2 of 5 on 1/12/2014 2:33:00 PM More reviews by kkarimson

I had quite high expectations on this highlighting concealer but sadly I was disappointed.
The concealer is quite expensive however you get much product. I did not care for the packaging - the brush is useless both for distributing the product directly under the eye and just to pump out the product onto the hand. The pump on the pen get stuck after every pump. So everything just becomes a mess.

The color range was not that great for my skin color because I was between two shades. And the colors are unforgiving on your skin so you have to have the color-matching on point.

The concealer creased easily and you really have to work the product into the skin to get some what of a nice finish. I think the matte effect made it worse and I don't think that it had that much of a highlighting effect.

Overall I think it's not worth the price at all and I am not repurchasing.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 8:03:00 AM More reviews by MarleyXavier

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My favourite concealer product. in fact my favourite make up product. perfect texture perfect finish perfect coverage i love love love this. i could cover and blend everything without a sign of make up. beautiful product. i use beige.

i couldn't recommend this enough

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by chither

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just received this concealer as a present after trying EVERY SINGLE KIND OF concealer on the market for my very dark under eye circles (including benefit, smashbox, NARS, tarte, Bobbi Brown, and every drugstore brand out there). Had my eye on this for awhile but it's pretty expensive. After using this for one night I am OBSESSED WITH IT. I got it in the middle tone (cream) and it's perfect. I have tan/olive skin and very dark under eye circles and it covers them up PERFECTLY and also brightens the area. Definitely expensive but worth it -- BEST GIFT EVER!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/24/2013 7:45:00 AM More reviews by eileen08

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

I must have the worst dark circles in the world, reason why I've tried almost everything out there. Heard about By Terry for a while, decided to buy a month ago, despite it's expensive price. After all, it was Christmas:)
I am conflicted about this product. I expected to illuminate my under eyes area, if not cover it entirely. It does illuminate, after purchasing the lightest colour in Porcelain, but is has poor coverage. So you might use some heavy concealer underneath, as I'm using the Benefit one, and then pop this on top.
The thing I most love about this product is it's the first concealer that doesn't set in your wrinkles! I mean, all of the others make me look even more tired and old, am I'm only 28:)) But this one stay all day floating over your lines so it's perfect on this context.
It does a bit of highlighting which is great, but I would've preferred more coverage... I believe the ones with less problems can say it is perfect, but I still want to find something better that has them all: coverage, illuminating, stay-out-of-lines power.
Anyway, I would still purchase by Terry as a highlighter and hope my under eye area will improve with creams or surgery;))

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2012 1:32:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

After seeing the QVC presentation, I had to try this! It looked AMAZING on the models, and I was like that is just what I need!

Fast forward to now, and I bought this in Creme, the color is completley off really yellow and dark, even with tanned skin! My dark circles still show through and there is no illuminating what so ever. The consistency is really really runny but then dries a little after and does turn powdery.

I'm so sad/mad/dissapointed, I thought this was going to be my holy grail, in comparison to Cle De Peau, it doesn't hold a candle to it. I bought CDP a while back and used it up, bought it in Beige and it was perfect. The price however isn't and Touche isn't either. Still on the hunt for my HG.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2012 12:09:00 PM More reviews by 27dots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

For those who don't like that you can't see how much is left - a SA showed me that you can unscrew the bottom and slide out the inner tube, which is clear so you can see how much product is still in there.

25 out of 25 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No