Philosophy Hope in a Jar SPF 20

2.1

on 8/29/2014 9:35:00 AM

I wanted to love this product but I have to say this is just not right for my skin. It feels heavy and does not absorb into the skin very easily. It takes a long to blend into the skin and I HATE the scent. It is strong like a typical sunscreen scent. I like most Philosophy products, just not this one!

on 3/22/2014 12:02:00 PM

I use other Philosophy products and absolutely love them. Not the case with this product. First use was fine, great consistency, moisturizing, thought it was going to be a keeper. Next day when I put it on it stung a little. Stupidly I put it on the next morning and my face burned! I rinsed it off. Next morning I woke up to rough, red patches on my face and a lot of peeling. Not sure why my skin hates this product but needless to say, I won't be using it anymore.

on 3/2/2014 12:38:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This isn't nearly as good as the original HIAJ, but I like that it has SPF. I hate that it's in a tube as this is hard for me to work with (ie. when I'm trying to add it to my C Booster powder). Beware, it can burn sensitive skin a little.

on 12/17/2012 3:58:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse

I love this moisturizer. I'm surprised to see so many negative reviews though I suspect that some of the issues people have is the result of using the wrong moisturizer for their skin type. At any rate, I've found this to be a good, solid, non-greasy moisturizer. I'm confused by the person who said it was greasy because that was the first thing I noticed- it didn't go on as easily as other moisturizers I've used because it lacked that greasiness I have to be careful about due to my skin type. I apply it sparingly, due to its thickness as well as its price. I have a small jar I take on trips and a tube that I use at home. I absolutely love it!

on 7/15/2011 5:16:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

'IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT" I have used Hope in a Jar for years and LOVED it. Told all my friends about it. Then the "new & improved" one came out and HATED it. I have found that if you turn jar upside down it doesn't seem to separate. Does anyone know if Philosophy is aware of all the negative reviews and it so, are they planning on changing it. I remember Oprah saying this was one of her favorite things. On her last Favorite Things show, she announced it by saying "Hope in a Jar, the original version"

on 7/2/2011 6:45:00 AM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Like other reviewers, I was instantly put-off by the cottage-cheese texture of this moisturiser! Also the formula starts to separate pretty quickly after opening, which doesn't fill me with confidence. I find that it just seems to sit on top of my skin, without really sinking in, and it doesn't feel like it's doing anything, except possibly making me break out!! The smell is ok, that's probably the best thing I can say about it. It's sad because I really wanted to like Philosophy's skin care products, but for me they have been mostly ineffective.

Hate!

I am usually a ravenous Philosophy monster, gobbling up their products at an alarming rate. I realized today I have had this jar for over a year.

I love love love the regular Hope in a Jar, it's my favorite moisturizer. But add the sunblock and you have a greasy, gelatinous blob of gunk.

It makes my face look like a shiny oil slick visible for miles. I don't wear any kind of foundation or powder so I cannot afford to shine like the top of the Chrysler building.

I also hate the jar, I wish they would use a pump so I don't have to keep sticking my hands in there. But, I guess then it would be called Hope in a Pump and that really isn't the same at all.

boo.

on 5/12/2011 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

I received a 1oz tube of this with my Philosophy Great Skin is In for Normal/Combination skin. This set comes with the Purity cleanser, Help Me retinol pm treatment, 1oz HIAJ, and WHINE serum.

I've only used everything for one night and day but when I put this on this morning after using the cleanser and serum, I fought so hard not to immediately rinse my face.

I ended up washing my face after a few hours, it was just too thick. It didn't seem to ever absorb into my skin and I could just feel it sitting there.

I still gave it a three because I'm thinking it might be a better moisturizer during the winter.

Skin: Very Dry, Olive, Not Sure

i don't really understand why some of the reviews are terrible. This moisturizer is made for those who have dry, dry skin. My skin drank it up. I've been searching for a moisturizer that is non-greasy yet enough oomph for my dry skin. i was able to apply a light amount without have to double up. My skin did not break out like everyone else.

on 4/22/2011 6:38:00 PM

I decided to try this the last time I needed moisturizer. I have been using Philosophy Help Me once a week (I have rosacea and sensitive skin), and thought it was worth a try. The price also seemed reasonable, especially since it had an SPF of 20. I bought the version in a tube.

By now it's nearly gone, so yes, I did like it well enough to keep using it. It is creamy without being greasy - a little bit goes a long way, and absorbs into your skin quickly. There is very little scent (something that really turned me off in another Philosophy skin product). My skin is fine, which is saying something, especially since the past few months have been extremely stressful in my life ... my skin does not necessarily show that.

Right now, it's not my favorite moisturizer ever. But there's a pretty good chance I would buy it again sometime. I like it overall, it just didn't "change my life" so to speak. But maybe I don't need that anyway ...

Popular Moisturizers