July 23, 2014 | 1840 users online

Scrubs - Boots - Botanics In-Shower Facial Polish

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2009 8:08:00 PM More reviews by ashleyanders

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Check out my notepad to read a more detailed explanation of my facial skin type!

What it Claims:
"ACTIVE PLANT EXTRACTS. Plant extracts at levels that really work. Naturally. Skin can become congested or dull and needs deep cleansing. This invigorating polish contains both protective Vitamin E pearls and exfoliating microbeads. Skin is left energized and radiant."

Claims - True or False?
1) Skin is left energized and radiant: False. After using, my skin did feel slightly smooth, but it did not look much different than before using the scrub. Possibly because it is too drying for my oily prone skin?

Packaging:
I believe that this is one of the most simple yet elegant packaging's that I've come across as of late. The scrub comes in a clear plastic tube, with a flip-top lid and a straight-forward label sticker. That's it; no cardboard box, or plastic wrapping. The clear tube is very convenient as it allows you to know exactly how much product is left, while the label sticker provides you with directions, ingredients and other general details. It definitely has a high-end look to it for a fraction of the price. The plastic is very soft, smooth and has a slight opaqueness to it, and does not slip away from hands.

Smell:
My favourite part of this scrub is the scent. I can't really distinguish what the scent itself is, but it gives off a very mild, clean scent that reminds me of rainy spring afternoons. The fragrance is noticeable when in use, but does not linger after washed off. For sensitive skin, it must be noticed that there IS added fragrance, which can be an irritant for many. Definitely skip this is your skin is sensitive to fragrances.

Consistency:
What I love about this scrub is that it is non-lathering. I refuse to use lathering scrubs; I mean, scrubs are for exfoliating, and not cleansing! That being said, I would classify this scrub as having an almost gel-like consistency, perhaps a watery gel. It actually reminds me of hair gel minus the tackiness. It is slightly thin, and spreads with ease on skin. The scrubbing particles are very fine and are not visible in colour, while the small Vit E pearls can be easily seen. Because it is watery, I find that it can dispense much too quickly. The scrubbing particles do not dissolve on the skin, so you can easily spend your time scrubbing away.

Ease of Use:
The use of the scrub itself is very simple. Dispense a small dollop, rub into hands and gently rub onto the face in circular motions. It did not stick to my face or to other surfaces, so it's fairly simple in terms of washing off. One gripe about the use is while dispensing the product, it can be quite difficult to ensure that only a small amount of product is released. I constantly found that a very large dollop, perhaps around the size of a quarter, would come out when I only needed about half. Cap flips off very gently and easily, and is very convenient for shower use.

Bang for your Buck:
Although not nearly as expensive as many scrubs out there, it is on the slightly pricier side if you are a regular drug-store buyer. Here at Shoppers Drug Mart, I believe the price was $12.99CAD for 100mL. I generally used it 2-4 times a week depending on how my skin was feeling, and for those few weeks where I did use it regularly, I did notice that it used up quite a bit of product. I can see how it may only last a few months for those that enjoy using a scrub on a more frequent basis. If you feel comfortable shelling out 10+ dollars every few months for the scrub, then it may be a good deal for you, but I do feel slightly ripped off.

Final Consensus:
While I had high hopes for this scrub, in the end it was simply average. I did not notice any improvements in my skin, and in fact it may have worsened my acne while I used it. My blackheads remained just as stubborn as always, my skin would become much shinier/greasier the day and sometimes the day after using, and it was slightly irritating. I did go through a honeymoon phase for a few weeks, where I enjoyed the overall feel of the scrub on my skin, but much like reviewer kayspray, after a while my honeymoon phase turned into stale marriage phase. Beautiful packaging, smells fantastic, but for the price and the overall lack of any decent results, it's definitely not something that is worth it in my books. Give it a go, but if you are sensitive to extracts or to certain types of granules, skip it. Will be trying out the aloe scrub from The Body Shop next, hopefully it will be gentle enough and still provide results!

Overall Rating: 3/5
Price: 3/5
Packaging Quality: 4/5
Would you buy this product again: No.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/25/2009 12:59:00 AM More reviews by kayspray

I loved this product for the first 2 weeks because it helped remove this tiny surface bumps on the ridge of my nose. It felt nice because the gel was cooling and the scrub didn't feel too harsh.

But because my body is allergic/sensitive to certain plants, this product eventually began feeling more harsh on my face. The tingling sensation became a burning sting and the microbeads were beginning to scratch my face. The scent was too perfumey for my taste. I won't be purchasing this again. Those with plant allergies or high sensitivity should avoid.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2009 3:29:00 AM More reviews by MovieVixen

Wow, this stuff is amazing and smells AWESOME! Im very shocked by the Boots Botanics line because I was NOT impressed at all with there No7 line. The first time I tried this was funny because it smelled up the entire bathroom plus some of the hall way and my roommate was in AW by it. Im glad it's such a pleasant scent or I would take it back to the store for being strong! As far as my face is concerned, I love how there are enough beads in such a small amount (so its less wasteful) to clean my entire face. It actually feels like my face is really getting cleaned! I can almost feel like it's opening up my pores, which is great because I jump out of the shower...put on some toner, then moisturize and im good to go! For $8, I would definitely buy again. Great for all skin types!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2009 More reviews by PopStar48

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am already on my 7th(?) tube of this. That is how much I love it. It is a light gel scrub meant to be used while in the shower. It smells lovely and has a light green color. I use it daily to gently polish my acne-prone skin. Awesome stuff. Cannot live without. It's also relatively inexpensive as $7.99 at Target.