January 28, 2015 | 1533 users online

Concealers - Smashbox - High Definition Concealer

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 1/6/2015 1:51:00 PM More reviews by Christac3698

What a shame. I was so excited to try this concealer given the fact that I love the 15 hour wear foundation. I had very high hopes, and they were all dashed with the swipe of a beauty blender, and then again with a stippling of a brush. :(

So I wanted to use this as my base concealer for highlighting, before I put an illuminator on the skin... A little background on my eyes... I do not have horrible dark circles. Yes, I have some darkness bluish/purple, but it's not ridiculous, just enough though that I would like it evened out and highlighted. I addition to that, I do have fine lines under and on the side of my eyes... Not wrinkles yet, but not as youthful as they once were. :( I purchased this in light, to off set the color of my foundation (Smashbox 2.3 or 2.4 depending on my self-tan and MAC NW25). There was not enough of a color difference for my highlighting purposes, but I was willing to use it underneath anyway, if everything else worked...

Nothing, unfortunately worked out when it came to this product. I am not a huge fan of heavy concealers, because of my fine lines, all that seems to happen is that I look older as the day progresses as the makeup settles into those lines, so when I first put some of this on the back of my hand, I wasn't too worried about the runny factor.

I then did what I normally do and began to apply in a triangle under my eyes and didn't see much of a difference in the color, nor did it cover much. As a result of being so runny, it was in fact that sheer when applied. I should have known at that point, that I shouldn't be using a beauty blender to blend the concealer, but alas, I did anyway, and I don't think that there was any concealer left after the blending occurred. (Again, I should have known better, but I was stubborn and applied it with the blender anyway). Fixed everything up with what I could and decided to try fresh the following day, but using a stippling brush instead. This was more to convince myself it was bad, because I was so looking forward to loving this product.

Next day came, and the application was the same, runny out of the bottle and very sheer when applied in the triangle under my eye, using my ring finger. Instead of using the beauty blender, I tried my E.L.F. small stippling brush, to try to get more coverage in that area. Again, I felt like with every light stipple, there was no product left on my face.

I threw in the towel at this point... I could have tried to apply with my ring finger to try to get the most coverage that way, but I really do not like applying my makeup with my fingers. There are many people who do, and do it really well, I am just not one of those people.

Therefore, I will be returning this product, and sticking with my Bye-Bye Undereyes... Hope this helped everyone out there. I know this isn't a review for the under-eye primer, but I will post a review there for those who may want to see it. I do like that. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2014 6:53:00 PM More reviews by judithvita

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Light, not greasy, good coverage, doesn't cake or get lost. A little goes a long way. Good value for the price. Great stuff!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/18/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by shadowphoenix

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I ran out of concealer and decided to try this one, as I'd been looking at Smashbox for awhile now. You only need a little bit. A really little bit. It's sort of hard to get back into the tube, so it's best to work in small amounts. The packaging leaves a bit to be desired, since you have to work harder than you should after you've used about 1/2 the tube to get it out.. sort of like a toothpaste tube, but with air inside it.

As for the concealer itself, it's ok. It's not bad, but it's not HG or anything. It did the job until I could buy my previous favourite again. I'm very fair and have trouble finding concealer to match me. I purchased the lightest shade (it looked like a good match in the store) but after wearing it in daylight and such, wasn't the best match afterall. I also didn't like how it blended. It blends, but doesn't really meld with your skin the way you want a concealer to. I'll keep it as a back up, but don't think I'd purchase it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by phylalexan

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The shade of fair in this HD concealer works just perfectly under my eye ... the only problem is the packaging is just terrible... I've ony had it a month or 2 and it is so hard to squeeze this out when I have used 3/4 of the product... try this anyway as it doesn't cake -- you can pat it on under your eye with a brush and it cancels out the puffiness and dark circles... great product!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2014 8:57:00 PM More reviews by cutelildeadbear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I don't use concealer on a regular basis. Actually, I use it like maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I like this one though. I just dab it on blemishes and under my eyes. I actually like the thinner consistency because it makes it easier to blend and doesn't look obvious. If I ever had to buy a concealer again, I would buy this one.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by elinen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This concealer does the job, but nothing more. I do like it (if I could give it a 3.5 I would), but I really believe that there are better ones out there, so I am still looking for my perfect concealer.

It is very liquidy, you only need a small (and I mean s m a l l) amount. That's great, but the packaging kind of makes that impossible. It comes in a tube and I find it hard not to squeeze out too much product as it is so liquidy - be careful. It do blends very well into skin and doesn't crease under my eyes when I set it with any powder, which is super important. The coverage is medium with two layers - it is buildable without being caky.

The color range is not great. I purchased both "fair/light" and "medium" and I mix those two together for my perfect shade. In the winter I only use "fair/light" though, which has pink undertones and is great for the under eye area.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/22/2014 1:31:00 AM More reviews by Annabellagrant

I should first say that I have never found an undereye concealer that I liked. That being said when I purchased this concealer by the recommendation of a friend I had high hopes that I had finally found a concealer that looked good and stayed out under my eyes. I was wrong. I hate this concealer, like truly genuinely HATE this concealer. I used it for three days before marching back into sephora and returning it. Why? Because it doesn't conceal. It doesn't stay put. It glides all around. It creases Creases like crazy and feels like liquid oil. I would not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 3:27:00 PM More reviews by LivingItUp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This quickly became one of my most reached for concealers (I have about 15 concealers, so that says something!). It's a gel like texture with medium to full coverage. I would say on the fuller side - I only need two thin layers to cover my circles! Fair/Light works perfectly with my skin tone and I can just wear this with a bit of face powder (and mascara of course!) and walk out the door. I found zero creases nor any mascara transferring. It's fantastic!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2014 12:10:00 AM More reviews by Denisedd

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Covers well drys quick and it's a drier consistency so oily skins like me will love it . Blend well it can cake up but not bad . Def not an under eye concealer due to the dryness it will settle in your fine lines and make them worse .

rated 4 of 5 on 1/20/2014 12:58:00 AM More reviews by Fark222

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

So my initial impression of this concealer was that it wasn't anything special. The primary reason I purchased it was because I needed a concealer for around my eye area that was less creamy (and wouldn't gather in my creases), and Smashbox is one of the only brands that has a fair shade available to those with pink undertones. After using it a handful of times, I abandoned it in my make-up bag.
Until recently, when I was playing around with different make-up looks and decided to give it a try! As it turns out there is a technique to using this concealer, and it has pretty awesome potential.

The way I like to apply it is to buff the concealer in with my bb cream when it is still soaking in (not wet, but in a dewy stage). The formula is liquid enough that it feels light, but creamy enough to still provide the coverage I need. There is kind of a brightening quality I get from the combination since the concealer is slightly lighter than my bb cream.

The amount of product provided in the tube is a bit of a let down, but I really do enjoy this concealer, and I would purchase it again.