July 22, 2014 | 1369 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - ColorSilk in Black 10

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 on 1/4/2014 1:37:00 PM More reviews by BonjourMaria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

EDIT: I have previously given it THREE stars (since it did give me a beautiful end product) but I'm now giving it ONE star. It's been a couple of days since I dyed my hair and I STILL get hair dye out of my hair in the shower. Seriously, it seems like the hair dye will continue to come out of my hair forever. This is horrible and will NEVER buy again. My hair is also turning back to light brown and it seems like the dye that is coming off in the shower is the dye that is being stripped out of my hair. I guess the dye never really set in and will eventually all come off a few weeks from now :-(

My hair is naturally dark brown-black but I previously decided to dye it a lighter brown colour. However, since it's winter time, I decided that it'll be a good change to go back to my original colour (or even darker, if possible). I was standing in front of the hair dye aisle at Target for literally twenty minutes, trying to see which black dye would be best for my hair. I was debating whether to get the L'oreal Feria or this Revlon Colorsilk hair dye. I used the Feria one to dye my hair the lighter brown shade that I previously had and I had a really great experience with it. But I saw that this Revlon dye was only 5.99, which is 3 dollars cheaper than the Feria one! Being a broke uni student, I opted for this hair dye (because three dollars can buy me coffee, hehe). That being said, my experience with this box hair dye is bittersweet! The end product is perfect. I love the colour. The hair colour of the model on the box is just like mine after the application! It was VERY dark and my hair was soft and very smooth! But, on to the bad part. This dye was a nightmare to put on. I hated the bottle it came with because you needed scissors to cut off the nozzle. Some hair dyes I've tried have a twist-off nozzle and I much prefer it that way since it needs less work! Having said that, I think the worst part about this hair dye is that it stains really well. And I don't think that's a good thing when I'm trying to wash off my neck and my face that's splattered with this dye. Avoid getting this on your body because you will definitely have a hard time getting it off. This also takes forever to wash off in the shower. And when I say forever, I really mean it never came off. I was standing in the shower for 30 minutes, waiting for the water to run clear before I put on my conditioner but noooo. This never came out clear for me. After a total of 50 minutes in the shower, my hair was still not dye-free. The water was still brown with dye. As a result, my towel is stained, my shirt is stained and my fingers are gray. Fun times!

Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone. Standing in the shower for almost an hour was a nightmare. I never had that problem with any hair dye before so I was scared and worried. I would look for another dye out there that's easier to apply, easier to wipe off and would give me fewer stains! And I think the 3 dollars I saved is irrelevant compared to what I went through. I would've gladly paid for the Feria had I known what this dye would have me go through.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2013 6:06:00 AM More reviews by barcodegirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is the only black dye I'll use. It's ridiculously cheap and works amazingly. My hair is super damaged (years of going from light blonde to red to black to brown to purple... you get the point) but it doesn't seem to damage it any further. It develops in about 5 minutes, so you don't have to sit around forever with it on. I don't have a problem with the size of the conditioner packet, in fact, the lack of a tube probably is what makes this dye so inexpensive compared to others. I did take a lippie off for the how long it takes to rinse this stuff out. After 30 minutes the water STILL doesn't run clean! It takes longer to rinse out than it does to process. But since it's so cheap, I don't mind.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/26/2012 10:34:00 AM More reviews by pearlglow

Worst hair color Ive ever used. Its been a month since i dyed my hair and i still have dye coming out of my hair every time i wash. The color started fading within the next day. So now the front of my hair is black and the back is brown. Ugh! so embarrassing!
It was difficult to apply the dye also because it is so watery and yet sticky. The gloves that come with the dye are very low quality and my hands were stained for about 3 days. The bottles make it more difficult to mix since they are not see-through so its hard to see if product mixed thoroughly.
I contacted Revlon and they sent me a $5 coupon on the mail. Will use it for something else rather than dye.

The only plus of this brand is that it is the cheapest. i got 2 boxes for $5.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/14/2012 10:38:00 PM More reviews by DecoDolly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have naturally blonde hair that I dye black. I was using this exclusively for awhile because it's so cheap, but I had to switch to something else. It just fades too damn quickly. It's a purple-based black that looks great at first, but it's honestly only jet black until the first shampo (and I do use a color-safe shampoo!). Then it fades to a brown-black. Hate that! Yeah, it's gentle, but not when you have to re-dye all of your hair every month because it won't stay black! Funny thing is, I've used the colorsilk in "soft black" and that stayed much blacker, so that I only had to touch up my roots. I wish I could keep using this because it's cheaper than everything else, but I just can't deal with it fading so fast.
Oh yeah, and as everyone else has mentioned, it takes forever to rinse out, but I have yet to find a black dye that doesn't. Just prepare to have purpley water pretty much every single time you wash your hair if you use this.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2012 2:56:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaSaunders

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is what I use to dye my roots. I think it has been over 5 years. It's super cheap, easy to use and comes with everything you need. I like the bottle, it helps with application.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/14/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by snapshotty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

My hair is naturally a dark-almost-black brown, but I've been dyeing it red brown for the past three years, often with L'Oreal Casting. My last foray with color was done professionally and was intended to be permanent, so there was a lot of bleaching involved.

It turned brassy on me in three months though, and so I decided to bring my hair back to black, and ideally darker than before. I wanted an inky, rich, almost-bluish black, and it was important for me to have that one color on my head.

I couldn't find any Nutrisse in Licorice, so I decided to go with what I thought was the next best thing: Revlon Colorsilk.

PROS:

1. The black is really really black. My mom who likes her her dark colors remarked that my hair is ridiculously black.

2. Instructions are fairly straightforward.

CONS:

1. This stuff is a nightmare to put on. Like most dyes, it turns your hair into glue upon application, which makes it hard to distribute. I smooshed the dye in six hair sections and then combed through it, and then used the comb to distribute more dye. My bathroom was a nightmare afterwards.

2. It takes FOREVER to rinse out. I'm not even kidding. I rinsed my hair for half an hour, conditioned twice (hoping that the conditioner would speed up the rinsing process), and I eventually gave up. Twenty minutes and two conditioning rounds in water was nearing clear, but didn't change after ten minutes of rinsing. I gave up.

3. It has trouble dyeing hair. I left the dye in my hair for 30 minutes (recommedned for super blonde people), thinking that it could bite through the bleach job my hairdresser did on me. After I dried my hair, it became obvious that yes, it darkened the brassy undertones, which is good, but it did not, in fact, turn my brownish hair into ink black. I've still got brown highlights running through my head, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but it isn't what I wanted.

I hate this product. I'll be going back to Bigen next time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 9:22:00 AM More reviews by watsonsmummy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Edit 2/19/12: My most recent application has held up really well. Maybe it's the shampoo I've started using? (Infusium 23). I'm going to stick with this combination. Adding a lippie.

My hair is naturally dark brown with about 25% gray (that might be an optimistic estimate :) I've used Colorsilk in the natural/soft black many times. I prefer the results I get from Clairol Nice-N-Easy Natural Blue Black; however, I've been losing some hair recently following surgery so I chose Colorsilk again since the formula is ammonia-free.

Pros:
Initial color is nice and glossy, covers grays
Pretty gentle on the hair
I like the fragrance
Inexpensive

Cons:
Fades quickly to a brassy dark brown on me

Colorsilk is definitely worth a try. Fortunately it is gentle and cheap enough that you can re-color frequently. However, I really prefer a blue black (Colorsilk blue black is a bad formula unfortunately; see my old review). Since I just got my hairt chopped short I'll probably go back to Clairol and cross my fingers that the ammonia doesn't exacerbate my hair loss.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2011 11:54:00 AM More reviews by DawnMarie02

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a horrible product! It's very watery and you have to be extremely careful while applying. The worst part was the rinse off. I stood in the shower for 45 minutes and there was still black dye coming out.I finally gave up, put in the conditioner thinking that would get the rest out, and as much came out during that rinse as during the first one. The color is correct - black - hard to screw that up and it was dirt cheap on sale in CVS (2 for $5.00), but not worth everything else. There are better black dyes out there and I'd pay extra to avoid that shower experience again!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/17/2011 11:16:00 PM More reviews by phragmipedium

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am a natural blonde and I recently went black with this product after reading the stellar reviews (and also after reading that Dita von Teese, also a natural blonde, likes Revlon dyes). While it did the trick, more or less, I have to say I wasn't thrilled with this product on the whole.

First, it stained my skin pretty badly. I say that having used other black dyes before and since, and not having the same issues with staining.

Second, my hair was bleeding dye for 3 to 4 weeks. I expected it for a few days, maybe even a week, but not quite as long as it did.

And finally, I feel like this black faded extremely fast. I had brassy reddish-brown spots showing after just about 4 to 5 weeks. I have since touched up my roots with the dreaded L'Oreal Feria (It seems to get terrible reviews here) in 20 Black Leather, and had a much better experience all around.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2011 6:19:00 PM More reviews by anail42

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Love, Love, LOVE...this hairdye! I have used so many other products and this one is the best! I do enjoy Perfect10 but, it's so much more expensive then Revlon Colorsilk. Colorsilk is a steal! I use the #10 Black. It looks and feels great, after it has been applied and rinsed! Keep in mind it is a bit dark at first but, after a few days it that beautiful black. I use this dye once a month, thanks to my greys. It helps to renourish my hair and it makes it really soft. The smell isn't bad either! Mainly because it is ammonia-free. The conditioner is fantastic! As I said before, I love this product!