MAC Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone

3.5

Water, Vinyl Dimethicone/Methicone Silsesquioxane Crosspolymer, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Butylene Glycol, Silica, Dimethicone, Isododecane, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sucrose, Trehalose, Caffeine, Glycerin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Mannose Phosphate, Polyglyceryl-3 Disiloxane Dimethicone, Laureth-9, Caprylyl Glycol, Sodium Salicylate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer-3, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/Vp Copolymer, Cyclopentasiloxane, Di-C12-18 Alkyl Dimonium Chloride, Hexylene Glycol, Sodium Citrate, Disodium Edta, Sodium Benzoate, Phenoxyethanol

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

It's taken me about seven months to figure out how to use this, flirting with other brands of primers along the way. I experienced the same problem as many here: my foundation would apply unevenly and get really blotchy. Now, I use a small amount of Refined Zone (a seriously small amount, mmaaayyybbbee a pin head or two) and spread it over my t-zone with my fingers and let it dry for a minute. Then, my trick is using a damp Beauty Blender to apply small amounts of my foundation (Estee Lauder Double Wear Light) section by section to my face. This works!--super simple and easy and no more blotchy areas. I don't know if this somehow "takes off" the primer underneath, but all I know is that after I'm finished, my pores are diminished, oil is controlled all day and my makeup lasts and lasts. This product is also great for no-foundation days. (My skin is usually smooth and breakout free, but shiny and rosacea prone.)

I do think it causes my skin to break out from time to time. Nothing real serious, but it's bothersome nonetheless. As a lover of the original P+P spf 50, *nothing will ever* top that unless the return to the original formula, but I'm reasonably happy with Refined Zone for the time being and have ended my search for a mattifying/oil-control, pore minimizing, long lasting primer. At the time of writing, this is $22 for a small 0.5 oz tube with a needle point applicator, and worth it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I am not certain why but my experience with this product is a bit odd. The first week that I used this product, I loved it. It looked good and kept my powder foundation intact. The following weeks, my skin started getting oilier and oilier. Could it be that the product was clogging my pores? I am not sure, but I ended up returning the product.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I have extremely oily skin and large pores. This product definitely has it's pros and it's cons.

Con-this isn't a product you want to wear under makeup. You would have to apply a very small amount in a thin layer to do so successfully. It will ball up under / over any foundation that has silica in it. Which pretty much every foundation does. Reason being Refined Skin Zone is made up mostly of silica. When two products with silica come in contact with eachother it repels and balls up.

It's pro is that it works great as a night treatment. It clears out pores and shrinks them while keeping your oil in check throughout the night.

If you don't wear makeup or don't plan on wearing makeup in the spots you put it this product it will work great for you. Otherwise just use it as a night treatment.

I was so disappointed with this product. I assumed this would be a decent primer because of macs prep & prime line but it totally was not. I applied it to my T zone area and applied foundation right after. I noticed that the foundation went on splotchy and uneven so I removed it and tried again. The second time, I allowed the primer to dry completely (5 mins) and I noticed that even though i applied the foundation with a brush, there were visible finger prints and smeared lines around where i applied the primer. This stuff is so difficult to work with. The foundation still didnt apply evenly which defeats the purpose of using a primer. Although it may be because my skin is a tad dryer than usual but regardless, I've never had a problem like this with any other primers. I was disappointed with this product and would not buy it again.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This is the only primer what keeps me non-oily for few hours (it is good- my T-zone gets veeeeeeery oily) which many high rated mattifiers didn't. I'll repeat it. it is THE ONLY ONE after trying plenty. I'm on 4th or 5th tube of this. It's small but you need just a bit for large area. I like that there is a little tip at the end- it makes it easy to apply (and its hygienic) BUT whenever I open it its runny. MAC please fix this! It is so annoying when you waste expensive product!
Another thing- I can't blend my foundation over it so I just don't apply foundation on my T-zone. If you dont wear make up and youre oily- this will be great for you.
You can use it on the foundation and it works BUT you have to be really careful because you can easily smudge the make up.

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Okay so I went to the mac store today and I wanted a primer and was offered this one. I was bit worried because after seeing the reviews here I wasn't so sure I wanted it. But they let me test it and I told them I'd get back to them if I like it. Anyways it's 7:30pm and I used this 11am in the morning. My nose still isn't greasing, my forehead is "shineless". Everywhere I put it is perfect, it keeps you but not overly dry which is good plus my skin feels so smooooooth. Only issue: it's friggin small like sooo small you can't afford to be wasteful with it. Just use it where you're really oily. Oh and of course it's expensive like every other mac product.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

It's okay, it works when you mix it with other primers but I returned it and bought the Lorac mattifying primer instead. Waaaaay better and 1.7 ounces, it's impressive.

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure

This has become my holy grail of face primers. Works like a charm on my very oily skin. Don't get me wrong, with skin like mine the oil will come, but a light blot with even tissue restores makeup as though it was freshly applied. Normally I would need to use two blotting sheets and then re-apply powder. All of that effort is not required with this product. Excellent product! I buy two at a time!

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I have super oily skin and i have tried a heap of primers and this is the only one that has kept my skin completely matte for hours. It felt smooth on my skin and you really dont have to use very much, just a couple of drops, I will definitely keep buying this product!

I don't have a huge problem with pores but on reading reviews I thought I'd give it a try. The products in a nice little black tube it is small but I've paid a lot more for primers in the past and they do normally last a long time so I thought £15/16 was reasonable. I tried the primer at first on its own over moisturiser and then again over the primer I usually favour the mac prep and prime skin base visage using it only in the areas I felt I needed it, I was expecting it to allow me to apply my foundation smoothly but I found it left the areas I used it very matt and dried out, I already struggle with dry skin and eczema so this was the last thing I needed in a primer I had to remove the product and re moisturise my face. I won't be using this primer again so I can't comment I whether long term use off it would help with pores and lines.

Popular Primer/ Correctors