MAC Del Rio Lipstick

on 5/29/2015 5:05:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I absolutely adore this product. it goes amazing with my skin tone and it's a great "on the run" shade. I was checking out the MAC website and I had really liked the shade so I ran to my MAC counter and bought it right away. it's a beautiful brownish-plum colour. once I'm finished this tube I will definitely re-purchase it.

The first time I tried del rio on I loved it but it wasnt in stock as are most of the lipsticks at my local mac counter but when I finally did buy it I wore it often until I found wnw spiked with rum which is similar but actually prettier spiked w/rum has that va va voom that I like del rio can stay at mac for I wouldnt repurchase id choose wnw over this or just stick with macs paramount for a brown and why ppl say this is plum is beyond me its not swatch your hand it is brown if anything macs retro is what is being described in these reviews not del rio...

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

On me, Del Rio is the sort of dulled out, slightly warmer toned, brownish-plum-berry that would have fit in perfectly in the 90's. It somehow works with my nw20-25 skin for a sophisticated, sexy look. I love it most with smokey eyes, I feel like the paring looks mysterious and bohemian :P. It also works full-on for a brown-toned vampy look (20's style, as a reviewer below stated), but I never wear it this thickly, I prefer it lightly applied. This is definitely a muted, brownish-warm-berry on me, I don't get any of that nice pinkish-red color that some do, probably because my skin is paler and slightly cool toned. MAC's satin formula is a confusing one for me, some colors work out so well, some of them have too much slip. Del Rio is one that does alright when lightly applied, but if I wear it heavily, it slips from the center of my lips. I like it enough that I'm really happy with my buy right now and would buy again in the future, I really think we have long-term relationship potential.

on 3/4/2014 11:57:00 AM

I wear a lot of clothes in solid black and cool neutrals, so this lipstick provides a nice pop of colour. If I just dab it on, I get a nice dark pink stain that isn't too bright - more like a pinker version of how my lips look after brushing my teeth. I like wearing it with my glasses and no eye makeup or just black/dark brown eyeliner. The stain lasts for a few hours even if I drink water frequently. When applied full-on, I get a more vampy, almost 1920s dark raspberry-pink look that still works with my skin tone (Stila tinted moisturiser in tone / Urban Decay tinted moisturiser in Halo), and the colour lasts much longer. MAC lipsticks are generally very pigmented, and this is no exception.

The packaging is the usual MAC type Ė black, sleek, bullet-shaped Ė and the slightly waxy scent is also standard for Satin lipsticks. In terms of how long it stays good, I hardly used it for about a year after buying, and it still smells totally okay now that itís back in rotation.

Iím not sure if I would repurchase this (got it with a Back to MAC), since a) I havenít gotten into the habit of wearing this that often, and b) Iíd like to try lipstick from other brands (e.g. Nars). But I do recommend this since I think it would work with a lot of skin tones, and the quality is good. I also like how it doesnít require a lip brush to look decent! Iíd say that overall, for those looking for a work-friendly dark pink lipstick, this would be really good value. I'm taking one lippy off my overall rating because although it works for me, it's not HG or a core lip colour (yet).

on 2/23/2013 6:45:00 AM

This is too dark for me so I had to add white gloss or else it looks drab. I had to keep mixing glosses/lip colors becos on its own it does nothing to enhance my skin color

on 1/1/2013 3:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

If I tread lightly this lipstick, it's a very natural pinky-brown look on me. When I layer it, it's a deep reddish-plum. I tend to go for latter because it always ups the va-va voom factor of a little black dress or similar outfits. Who doesn't love sexy, come-hither lips? I get compliments with either look, so the versatility is what makes this one of my favs.

on 9/13/2012 8:12:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is such a pretty color. Its kinda dark & great for a night out, as for day id only wear it if i were a bold lip kinda person (which iam). On my very lightly pigmented lips this comes off as a reddish brown similar to Revlon's matte Fabulous Fig which i also really like.

on 7/21/2012 4:55:00 PM

I was told a few years back that Del Rio had been D/C by MAC. So I looked and looked and found shades that I could combine to get this color; a shade I wore for YEARS. Shocked to find it wasn't THIS Del Rio but another shade called this that was LE by MAC.

I wear many reds. Compared to my reds, this looks like a plummy brown in the tube. On my pigmented lips, its more of a raisin shade that can make me look dead if I layer it on too heavily. I don't get red, I don't get brown, I get a blueish plum brown.

LOVE IT. Every day shade all year. It's my lips but a bit better.

on 12/27/2011 4:47:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Dark brown, plum, mauvy color. You can dab it on for a lighter more natural look or you can pack it on wear it to it's full vampy potential. I've worn it both ways and I love it. Nice fall/winter color. I'm a NC40-NC42 and it goes very well with my skin tone. It's a satin and wears like a satin but looks matte on the lips and not too drieing.

on 9/18/2011 1:52:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Falls here and besides changing the wardrobe I realized I really didn't have any burgundy rose, plummy dark shades of lipsticks besides dare you, dubbonet, and rebel. I went in with a list of lipsticks that are meant for the fall season but funny thing is this wasn't on the list and the first one I loved. It's a dark brown mauevey red if that makes sense. It's a serious sophisticated color a fresh color compared to this barbie neon pink craze. Del rio, a little black dress and some ysl perfume= glammed up goddess.

Popular Lipsticks