July 31, 2014 | 1997 users online

Lipstick - MAC - Del Rio Lipstick

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by youwillneverfindme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

On me, Del Rio is the sort of dulled out, slightly warmer toned, brownish-plum-berry that would have fit in perfectly in the 90's. It somehow works with my nw20-25 skin for a sophisticated, sexy look. I love it most with smokey eyes, I feel like the paring looks mysterious and bohemian :P. It also works full-on for a brown-toned vampy look (20's style, as a reviewer below stated), but I never wear it this thickly, I prefer it lightly applied. This is definitely a muted, brownish-warm-berry on me, I don't get any of that nice pinkish-red color that some do, probably because my skin is paler and slightly cool toned. MAC's satin formula is a confusing one for me, some colors work out so well, some of them have too much slip. Del Rio is one that does alright when lightly applied, but if I wear it heavily, it slips from the center of my lips. I like it enough that I'm really happy with my buy right now and would buy again in the future, I really think we have long-term relationship potential.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/4/2014 11:57:00 AM More reviews by alixnaiq

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I wear a lot of clothes in solid black and cool neutrals, so this lipstick provides a nice pop of colour. If I just dab it on, I get a nice dark pink stain that isn't too bright - more like a pinker version of how my lips look after brushing my teeth. I like wearing it with my glasses and no eye makeup or just black/dark brown eyeliner. The stain lasts for a few hours even if I drink water frequently. When applied full-on, I get a more vampy, almost 1920s dark raspberry-pink look that still works with my skin tone (Stila tinted moisturiser in tone / Urban Decay tinted moisturiser in Halo), and the colour lasts much longer. MAC lipsticks are generally very pigmented, and this is no exception.

The packaging is the usual MAC type Ė black, sleek, bullet-shaped Ė and the slightly waxy scent is also standard for Satin lipsticks. In terms of how long it stays good, I hardly used it for about a year after buying, and it still smells totally okay now that itís back in rotation.

Iím not sure if I would repurchase this (got it with a Back to MAC), since a) I havenít gotten into the habit of wearing this that often, and b) Iíd like to try lipstick from other brands (e.g. Nars). But I do recommend this since I think it would work with a lot of skin tones, and the quality is good. I also like how it doesnít require a lip brush to look decent! Iíd say that overall, for those looking for a work-friendly dark pink lipstick, this would be really good value. I'm taking one lippy off my overall rating because although it works for me, it's not HG or a core lip colour (yet).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2013 6:45:00 AM More reviews by galsunday

This is too dark for me so I had to add white gloss or else it looks drab. I had to keep mixing glosses/lip colors becos on its own it does nothing to enhance my skin color

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2013 3:03:00 PM More reviews by pixairy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

If I tread lightly this lipstick, it's a very natural pinky-brown look on me. When I layer it, it's a deep reddish-plum. I tend to go for latter because it always ups the va-va voom factor of a little black dress or similar outfits. Who doesn't love sexy, come-hither lips? I get compliments with either look, so the versatility is what makes this one of my favs.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2012 8:12:00 PM More reviews by desertwaya

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is such a pretty color. Its kinda dark & great for a night out, as for day id only wear it if i were a bold lip kinda person (which iam). On my very lightly pigmented lips this comes off as a reddish brown similar to Revlon's matte Fabulous Fig which i also really like.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2012 4:55:00 PM More reviews by CJCJ

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was told a few years back that Del Rio had been D/C by MAC. So I looked and looked and found shades that I could combine to get this color; a shade I wore for YEARS. Shocked to find it wasn't THIS Del Rio but another shade called this that was LE by MAC.

I wear many reds. Compared to my reds, this looks like a plummy brown in the tube. On my pigmented lips, its more of a raisin shade that can make me look dead if I layer it on too heavily. I don't get red, I don't get brown, I get a blueish plum brown.

LOVE IT. Every day shade all year. It's my lips but a bit better.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2011 4:47:00 PM More reviews by MOIx2

Dark brown, plum, mauvy color. You can dab it on for a lighter more natural look or you can pack it on wear it to it's full vampy potential. I've worn it both ways and I love it. Nice fall/winter color. I'm a NC40-NC42 and it goes very well with my skin tone. It's a satin and wears like a satin but looks matte on the lips and not too drieing.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/18/2011 1:52:00 AM More reviews by ashergill

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Falls here and besides changing the wardrobe I realized I really didn't have any burgundy rose, plummy dark shades of lipsticks besides dare you, dubbonet, and rebel. I went in with a list of lipsticks that are meant for the fall season but funny thing is this wasn't on the list and the first one I loved. It's a dark brown mauevey red if that makes sense. It's a serious sophisticated color a fresh color compared to this barbie neon pink craze. Del rio, a little black dress and some ysl perfume= glammed up goddess.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/22/2010 11:56:00 AM More reviews by glitteradi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a sophisticated color and can be used to evening and day. I like that it is not shiny and that it is quite dry so it stays on. Apply with lipbrush for sheer daytime YLBB or heavily for vampy evening look. I wanted this because this has been told to be used on Elaine in Seinfeld. She looked always so nice in older episodes, I did not like the new light lip look so much though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2010 7:19:00 PM More reviews by spacecow17

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Del Rio lipstick has a very strong dark brownish corally color. It does not exactly have a bloody color like the Russian Red lipstick, but it does give you that same "vampy" effect (voluptuous red lips). With that said, I would understand how others would find this lipstick a little too strong for their taste. But it still is a very pretty color, however, I don't like that it can be drying. I don't reach for this lipstick as often, but this is still a good color to keep for a special night out. Im used to wearing toned down sheer lipsticks and lipglosses for my everyday wear (I do still use Del Rio from time to time). I personally think that this lipstick looks best on tan and dark colored women, just because the brown tint can be overwhelming to the lighter and fair skinned. Del Rio lipstick is more appropriate to be worn in the Fall season.

**I am an NC 35 and NC 40 in the summer. For MUFE, I am a #140 and a # 153 in the summer.