September 2, 2014 | 1242 users online

Hair - ManeMaxx DYI Hair Extension System with Tembond

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2014 7:37:00 PM More reviews by LuxeLore

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been installing my own hair extensions with ManeMaxx for the course of my entire early 20's and plan to continue! I can only wonder how my life would have been different without this wonderful product.

I will say, it took a couple of installs to really perfect the attachments, but now that I am basically a pro, I feel so fortunate to be able to save the money of having in-salon extensions done, by doing my own, at home. =)

I started out using two large mirrors, one in front of me and one behind, but am now able to do all of my installs with a simple, 3 way dresser mirror while sitting on the floor. I do my installs over the course of 2 days, 3 hours each day. I keep my computer close by and watch Netflix/YouTube to keep myself entertained during the process.

The hair has never given me any issues, and the beauty of the DIY product is that if a strand falls out, I can replace put it back in whenever I have time to.

I believe the value of the products (the bond and the hair) both exceed what they cost. Very good deal for a process that is quite expensive in the salon! I will continue to use ManeMaxx, and recommend it to the best of family and friends. =)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2014 2:05:00 PM More reviews by llhair

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been wearing ManeMaxx and DIY-ing my hair extensions for almost 9 years now. You have to get to know the "technicalities" of applying ManeMaxx, because sometimes it's correcting one small thing which puts you on your way to some awesome, cheap, safe hair extension wear.

I make approximately 150-175 attachments with a full pack of hair and apply to my own head in about 4 hours. (This means someone who makes 300 attachments with half that amount of hair are making attachments that are 200% smaller than recommended and instructed.) Attachments like that will not allow for enough product to hold the extensions in for 4-6 months and will not allow you to apply enough hair for fullness and natural-looking extension wear. It will also take twice the time to apply - you are doing twice the amount of work needed for a full head of hair extensions. It would be amazing that attachments like that could even be worn for many weeks!

A warm shower DOES NOT break down the bond. I take many hot-hot showers, wash my hair twice per week, condition thoroughly at the bonds and scalp to keep my extensions nice and tangle-free, dry with a hot hairdryer (at a fair distance), style with a hot iron (just under the bonds), sit in the sauna, take hot tubs, tan, go to the beach, snorkel, survive baseball games in the blazing hot summers in Minnesota and all while wearing ManeMaxx. I've been so for more than 7 years now, removing and replacing the extensions every 4 or 5 months. (The California sun is beating on my head right now as I write this and my extensions are fine :)) I can't imagine living without them. My hair is full and healthy. This is also the case for my daughters who wear it and my regular WEST COAST HAIR clients, as well. (We use this product for applying professionally, too.)

I get compliments on my hair everywhere I go. My confidence and self esteem is better because of ManeMaxx. I am glad to help you, too, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2014 7:12:00 PM More reviews by Embry1029

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

One more thing I had to add: I am used to adding quite a lot of hair to my own natural hair. Not ridiculous amounts, but I use extensions to not only thicken but also to lengthen my hair so I need a lot of hair - usually about a pack and a half, sometimes a pack and three quarters of bohyme hair. I had my entire head covered with these bonds - I had in at least three hundred and I still wasn't able to finish even the first pack!! So not only did I lose all of the bonds in under a month but it was already stringy to begin with. I wound up wearing my stringy hair up every day for an entire month. Also it was quite embarrassing when I looked at the floor of my boyfriends house and realized that my hair was EVERYWHERE!! Every time he left the room I'd sneak clumps into my pocket to throw away later.

This was incredibly difficult and time consuming!!! It is definitely NOT a "DIY" hair extension kit like it says. You will definitely need help. It took me and my mom about 9-10 HOURS to complete sooooo you will imagine how extremely irritated I am when I go to blow dry my hair and I lose NINE bonds the first day. It's not like I was blasting the bonds with the dryer either. This natural "lipid" (wax? Beeswax?) does do one thing it claims and that's come out easily. You can't use any type of conditioner on your hair anywhere near the bond. A warm shower will break down the bond, as will a hot summer day, any type of hear whatsoever etc. You may notice on their YouTube vids that they are using a la petite wax warmer (which you can buy at Sally's for $20). Think about this for a moment - this means that to completely MELT this product the product must only be brought to a temp that is STILL cool enough to be held agains bare skin.

When I first (finally - after two days and ten hours with two people working on it) got these in I was very excited. The bonds are tiny and they stay put AT FIRST. Then they fall out in heaps. No joke. I lost ten per day until there was nothing left but waxy residue in my hair. I don't know who is writing the reviews below but I definitely followed the instructions very carefully on my install, but if taking a warm shower (NOT HOT) is enough to break the bond down enough to where it isn't safe to brush them then you can count me out.

The only good thing I have to say is that they didn't damage my hair for the three weeks they stayed in. I'm very experienced with hair extensions ladies - this is definitely not that great of a product. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good options that are safe in the DIY marketplace *sigh*

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2013 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Pamdomz

Do not ever expect perfection from a hair extension kit. It just not exist. But Manemaxx is the closest I've found, and I have tried several methods including Great Lengths fusion. The Great Lengths came completely out of my fine silky hair in two months. My Manemaxx extensions did not come out quite as quickly but still would not have lasted more than three months had I not done constant maintenance. What most salons do not tell you until after they have put in your hair extensions is that most people will require maintenance. If you have courser texture and/or waves/ curls then they may last much longer than they do on my fine silky hair. Most salons will charge at least $40 and recommend that you come in every 4-6 weeks for maintenance. So having this method has really been my only option for affordable hair extensions. I had a friend put them in but I and my husband do my own maintenece. It does not take long to get a hang of doing it. I will say that the statement to not roll it but just hold down the ends can not possibly be a complete statement. If you do just that then the bond dries flat. So I did not roll in my fingers as I imagine that will crack bonding agent which is what you do to remove it and so will compromise your brand new bonds. But after holding each end for 3 seconds I then gently pat all around, shaping the bond into a nice thin cylinder. The bonds are very strong. This was my first wear. I did have to replace about 4 to 6 after the first month, then 6 to 8 after 2nd month and then about 12 after the third month. I took them out after losing almost 20 after fourth month. However, I went to the beach about every other weekend, and could feel the bonds getting soft in the sun. That would make me get tangles in the long 18 inches of wavy hair which I would then tug pretty hard to get out. So considering an amateur install and a gal that is pretty rough and tuff on her already fine silky extension-repelling hair, I think Manemaxx extensions are amazing. I will wear again and again<3, and as others have stated, Tiffany Twist is a very customer service-minded individual and just a nice person from what I can tell. You should check out her books. She writes too. Talented person. A extensions that get an A++ with the extension business curve;)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/14/2012 3:09:00 PM More reviews by yumimango

I just installed my manemaxx hair extensions a few days ago and I have to say this is a great product so far. I used XQ cuticle 16" straight hair extensions, which are also great but you might be okay with getting the hair that Manemaxx sells. Unfortunately I got stuck with hair that tangles if you add any sort of product to it so styling is limited. I guess everyone is just gonna have to get used to me with straight hair. I just wanted to physically see and touch the hair before I bought it at a local beauty supply. ($150)

So the install took some getting used to. You will definitely need some practice, but it only took me about 7 or 8 tries before I got it right. I had to keep cutting off the dried off bond at the end of the test strand because I was waiting too long and allowing it to dry before I got it to my head. So yeah I have a few strands of fairly short hair extensions, haha.

It took me about 7 hours all together, including about 3 or 4 breaks. And I had the help of my mom half way through. I would say the hardest part about the install was parting the hair precisely and estimating whether or not you have enough natural hair in the strand you intend on bonding. The mirrors came in handy to see where your hands were at, but not much else. I could have probably been blind and had a successful install.

The mess was incredible.

But overall, my bonds are going strong so far. I can see them lasting a potential 4 to 6 months, so I believe the product does not lie. It is a little pricey, but it beats hundreds to thousands of dollars at a salon for crap that doesn't last near as long, so I'd say well worth it if you have the patience. Really, all you need is some research and some common sense.

Ladies, PLEASE follow all directions. Otherwise you are just wasting your money. And not just for the install, but for taking care of them. I am currently washing and conditioning my hair every morning with Cinderella Hair Extension shampoo (Sally's Beauty Supply--PS: This is NOT where I bought my actually extensions). It is specially formulated for human and synthetic hair. It cleanses the scalp without overdrying nicely, which is great for the tembond. You don't want to get any oil or product on the bonds because they will melt and loosen. And the conditioner is effective and smells like a orange dreamsicle :) Really you could use any mild shampoo or conditioner, but keep it sulfate free. I still deep condition my hair with cholesterol or Wen deep conditioner, but only once a week and I'm very particular about rinsing. Even after I rinse I will fill the tub up so I can soak my hair.

Blow drying is a pain in the butt. I am becoming prone to getting up earlier, showering and going for a jog to dry my hair instead of blow drying. That way I'm knocking out two birds with one stone.

I either straighten my hair or use a heated roller brush to curl the ends. Stay away from the bonds--again, they will loosen.

Nothing else to add. Great product. Highly recommend. I will post again in a month to let you know how my bonds are holding up.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2010 5:57:00 PM More reviews by missygeiger

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love these. These rock. I'm on my 3rd install. I have read the other reviews here and agree with most so I won't be long-winded and repeating everyone. I have lost 1 bond. One time. It was 3 mos. into my first install and I didn't even lose the WHOLE bond. Half stayed put. I believe it was the BLOW-DRYER I used that day, while BRUSHING. ( don't do that). It never happened again. I will touch on some things I haven't seen posted : You know it's time to replace your bonds when they grow out long enough to reach your shoulders. This takes about 5 mons, Longer than that is not possible unless your hair grows REALLY slow. The reason is you will start to see breaks in your hair length where light from behind you is showing through. Not only that, you have 5 mo of shedded hair tangled in there. The tangles will start at the top of your bond and go all the way to your scalp. Removing 5 mo old bonds : Keep in mind your tangles are 2 inches long ! Please take your time. I plan an entire day. Now. But my first removal may be responsible for hair breakage i noticed after removal. ( However it may also have been to much aphogee. Which I no longer use.) I broke them out in a rush yanking and pulling. No pay off. Took 2 days to remove all tembond. Now I have a way that is easier, better for my hair and gets all the bond out in one day.
Crack all your bonds. Slide them out and put away. Pour a bottle of olive oil on your head. Soak everything good. Start with one bond at a time. Work out all the large chunks. Do this with all. Won't take too long. Now, take a fine tooth comb and one-by-one comb out every bond from the bottom up. The shedd hairs will slide out along with remaining tembond without breaking your hair. This is also great conditioning since bonded hair uses almost no conditioner during wear. After it's all combed out, wash your hair with dawn dish soap but dilute it with water first or else the concentrated soap will take forever to get out. Wash 2 or 3 times good. Deep condition afterwards and leave on for the rest of the day. When you rinse it out later your hair will feel revitalized. Tiffany touches on olive oil in the dvd but I'm stressing it's use. The more the better. Especially if you have hair that breaks easily like mine. I don't care that it takes 5 hours. I get to keep hair on my head. This will stain what ever you are wearing because it will drip all over. Wear clothes you plan on staining. I have no problem coloring my roots with extensions in. I tried it because I had nothing to lose and experience to gain. Having bonds in makes it easier to section your hair. I apply the color with a brush from a bowl and only touch my roots. It gets easier the longer your bonds grow out.
I have read here that a lot of people experience bond loss. I think the reason my installs have been successful is because I'm making sure that the hair bundle I'm bonding is considerably thicker than the strand I'm bonding it to. This solves the lack-o-seepage problamo. Also, I keep the warmer on high the whole time. The hotter and drippier the better. But have a towel around your neck. Drips will happen and they BURN leaving scabs ! Use a small make-up brush to apply tembond on ends if they poke through. When holding your hair out ready to bond make sure it's not pulling in any direction. I found out the hard way on my first install that after you apply the bond and " drop it", that the hair from the top of mine was pulling. I suggest that you gather your hair bundle on your head and rotate it around first to make sure the weigh and angle you applied will not pull out your hair from the top of your bundles. This may also be why I noticed a " snapping" feeling on my head when I slept that night. I could feel my hairs pulling out of my head and I could hear it. I take the time now it they are much more comfortable. Use the hair guide. But plan on ordering a new one soon because the constant putting in and taking out frays the inside corners and hair gets caught in it. Mostly yours and pulls out of your head. Apply bonds farther away from your scalp than you think. I still have a tendency to get to close even using the guide. Don't make the bonds to long. I once made a bond 1 1/2 long and after a few days it broke it half when I laid down on it nearly stabbed me in the head. The ingredient in the Tembond that is responsible for the actual bonding sinks to the bottom. Stir constantly and before each bond. Never go on to the next bond without completely stirring. Make it the last thing you do before applying. I do these myself with no help, lots of light. mirrors all over, a couple of movies, and 16 hours from set up to clean-up. The actual install always takes me 12 hours. Yes an entire day. That lasts 5 mo.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2010 2:54:00 AM More reviews by AdriannaW

When I first came upon the ManeMaxx website I was automatically intrigued-
this is something I've never heard of before and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why not! I was excited by the affordability of the kit and the fact that it was DIY.
I did not hesitate to choose the Regal Remi starter kit: I have some experience with hair extensions and I know- you get what you pay for.
I have foiled blonde hair that is naturally straight and from the pictures posted I was able to easily choose the colors I wanted! I immediately ordered my package with 4Oz of #22 and an extra 2Oz package of #613.
Since I live in Canada, my total wait time was about 2 weeks. This is exactly what the ManeMaxx website had predicted.
While waiting for my kit, I read tons of reviews and articles posted on the site. These are absolutely invaluable to your success with the application process. I felt very well-informed by the time my package came and I planned to do the full install the next day (I precut my strands the night before).
I had a friend come over to do the install for me; I cannot emphasize enough that this was SO HELPFUL. If you have a friend to help you, take the opportunity.
I had her watch the instructional DVD and within 20 minutes, she felt confident enough to begin. Lots of reviews say that there is a very steep learning curve with the application process; this might be true for people who choose to apply the bonds themselves, but we had problems with the first 2 bonds ONLY(she had trouble getting the TemBond to seep into my natural hairs). After this, the process was amazingly smooth and successful.
The complete installation of probably 100 bonds took only 3 hours! I tugged on a few and they did not come out. 2 days later, I still have not lost a single bond (I read in a few reviews that shedding was a problem but I do not think this will be an issue for me- my friend did wonderfully).
I have about half of the hair I ordered left and enough TemBond left for at least another application, which is exactly what the ManeMaxx website tells you. I am so pleased that I will be able to do another application before I need to re-order (which I will definitely be doing!).
My hair looks flawless and amazingly full. The bonds are SUPER discrete: even when I expose them they are nearly invisible. They are also very comfortable.
The only issue I am experiencing, which so far has actually been a non-issue, is that I have some of the ends of the hairs poking through the bond. It isn't bothering me yet, but if it does I will try to paint the bonds like I have heard in some reviews.
Overall, I am ecstatic about my new extensions. I literally have NOTHING bad to say about this system. The value is unbelievable and I will be recommending this method to all my friends. I am now a ManeMaxx customer for life!

Just want to update my review:
I am still very pleased with this product and will definitely continue to use it. After having removed a full install I have some more feedback. First off, the extensions stayed in extremely well. Over the course of about 3 weeks, I lost 3 bonds! I was shocked, seeing as other reviews had some complaints about shedding. This was not a problem for me at all and I was shampooing every second day. One negative, however, was that the tips of the bond came off of most of my strands, revealing the blunt ends of the hairs. This was itchy at times. Apparently, painting more TemBond on these exposed hairs solves the problem. I didn't try that this time because I didn't plan to keep the install for very long and because I was a little bit lazy. Next time I am going to have my friend hold my hairs at an angle while the bond sets so that more of the product will cover this area. Removing the strands of hair was easy: I grasped the end of the strand, aimed a blow dryer at the bond, and the bond slipped off quickly and painlessly (and intact- so I can use it again!!). This, however, is not even half the battle. After doing this I am left with lots of TemBond stuck in my hair. Not fun to comb each bond out individually, but it really only took an hour or so to do, which isn't bad. After combing out the bond, I dipped my fingers in olive oil and rubbed it into the area; this seemed to help remove the sticky feeling left on the hairs. I wasn't really alarmed by the amount of my own hair I was combing out, because it seemed reasonable considering the length of time I had worn the extensions. My hair feels as healthy as it did before, so no complaints there either.
Anyway, I'm having my hair colored in a few days and then will be doing a second install. I feel much more confident about this one, especially in terms of placement of the bonds. Last time I put too many on the top half of my hair and not enough on the bottom. I still love ManeMaxx!
xo
Adrianna

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2010 7:34:00 AM More reviews by meishajane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Hi, I been using Manemaxx for 8 months .. My full install took me 12 hours with alot of breaks.I kept rushing through the back and had to slow down and practice alot with lining up the bond with my hair. It does take alot of patience at first. But it is easy. Its like anything, if you do it more it becomes easier and better.You will pick up speed as you go. Try to read up on the website before it comes like they tell you. It will help speed it the process for your first time. It is well worth it. Pick up a cheap big mirror, It will make it easier to see in the back of your head. I could have been more prepared and half way thru realized this. My fault. Mirrors and everything should be layed out. Believe me. It helps. .I am glad I stuck it out the first hour. My install came out beautiful. I get alot of compliments.I love them. I used the Remi.The back could have been fuller if I would have did my homework.Since then I have added more. A couple of my bonds in the beginning were messy and big at first. But, now,they are way better and alot smaller The whole thing about applying the bonds correctly is making sure the tembond is hot enough for one and drippy. The tembond should cover the whole piece of hair you are are bonding, Its not that hard once figure out how its done.The tembond dries like a cocoon, kinda cool. Don't rush the drying after you wash it,with your dryer too fast it softens the bonds and they will loosen..But, they are made to harden up again, when they dry. But, rushing always seems to compromise the bonds. Just take it easy when it is wet. I am careful with my hot iron when styling also to not to touch my bonds either , I have accidently touched them. Just don't lay your iron on them too long. I have did what the instructions say and they have worked great out for me. If I rush drying it and brushing it when its wet. I will lose some bonds. Tried that on second month with them and lost some bonds in one day.Not too many. But, now I know. Got back on track and good to go. I hardly ever lose a bond now, If I do, it is because am careless with my hot iron or the drying process. I do not mess with my hair until completly dry.None of this takes long.Not that bad, I learned that when I rushed it alot.The manemaxx wants you to try to let it try naturally when you can .They say you can blow dry it. Just don't put it right up on the bonds. Now, I just let it air dry fully at night before bed and in the morning fix it. Nobody blow dries the hair that close anyway, I hope. Plus, diffuser is aIways good. I have done two installs, only because I changed from curley to straight otherwise they would have stayed in. When I took my last install out they had been in there 3 1/2 months.There were strong and would be in there much longer .They were strong and I plan on reusing my hair from that install when I take this install out.Hair looks like it is still holding up well and can reuse the hair later..Had this install ever since, and it is beautiful. I still go to the salon and get my hair trimmed. The girl that does my hair works around my extensions and says they look great. I have had extensions done there and one other place.They had charge alot.Plus tips. Never again! I have had heat gun fusion type extensions.(Not sure what I can say) As I have been in , and my extensions are 3 to 4 months old.We agreed my hair looked just as good as a freshly done extension they were applying with one of their clients . These extensions are undectable. The tembond matches up with the hair color,(I have dark hair and you cannot see my bonds at all.)With the others they always seemed to show somewhere or anouther..Once I ordered my kit. It came with pretty much everything I needed, extra bond. for practice,and tembond for couple installs Not that pricey for how long it lasts and everything you get. The kit came with,. booklet , instructions and .(DVDs. It helped a whole lot.)Also ,when ordering,get the hair guide. It helps from tembond getting in your hair, a must for me, even now. Applying the tembond is easy once you realize to let it seep into the hair and line it up properly. You are not suppose to press it down. Just line it up and hold it . It gets easier. I was pressing down too long the first couple of bonds. and catching myself off and on.It is easy to remove. Break apart the tembond and I just comb it out. Easy, and my hair has had no stress from this at all. Works for me. Sometimes I add highlights in. I like to me put them in here and there and do not have to worry about all the damage from peroxide in my hair. I was using small hair extension clips for that, to me this is better.You can keep them in a long time or switch them around.. I have no problems with this system.As long as I use the Purology shampoo and condioner as it suggests and follow with care.They tell you not to use no other shampoo for your bonds. I have never used anything else. I Bought the Regal remi and I really like it .Its silky and shiny after 4 months and going strong.I am sticking with it because it is holding up Tiffany has always responded with any concerns about color or about anything pretty quick.. .For me in between stupid fad haircuts(which I probably will always do) I will use manemaxx. I do not see how you could, ever go wrong using this extension method.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 5/7/2010 8:07:00 PM More reviews by bananat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is a scam. It is very uncomfortable, overpriced and difficult to apply. You ave been warned: Do not buy!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/22/2010 1:46:00 PM More reviews by Issybelle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm posting this for my friend "darkempriss" since she can't edit her posting but wanted to update you on her Manemaxx install.
----------------------
Ok, so it's been 3 months since my install and still loving it! I lost a lot more bonds than I initially thought BUT, I've found that it's all due to the user and how they put the bonds in. If you rush and do it incorrectly, that's when you'll have a lot of shed bonds. If you take the time to do the method properly you should have no problems. I found that when I originally put my bonds in, I didn't take the time to section my hair, this is a big no no because I found at my 3 month mark, I started getting sections of bonds that were a little stuck together and just had to pull them apart to loosen the hairs that were part of two bonds! Anyways, I bought new hair (in the loose wave instead of straight) and was getting impatient to wait 3 more months, so I took out my extensions and did an install of my new hair.

I took about 4 bonds at a time and cracked them and removed them, once I finished my whole head I slathered on olive oil, let it soak in overnight, then washed in the morning, all the bonds came out no problem and my hair was nice and silky :) I was shocked to see all my shed hair tho and the amount there was! I didn't freak out, but there was a lot over the course of 3 months, no bald spots so I was happy :) I got ready for my next install, I properly sectioned everything out and took the time to perfect my bonds so we'll see how this install wears out. Just a tip...get the hair guide! It's so much easier to avoid getting stray hairs in your bonds, anyways.But I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my extensions and the Manemaxx method and wouldn't use anything else. If done properly this method is so comfortable and you don't even realize the bonds are there, it's completely natural looking. I really have nothing bad to say about this method. User for life!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No