Smashbox Photo Finish Lid Primer

3.2

Isododecane, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Beeswax, Silica, Boron Nitride, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Talc, Microcrystalline Wax, Propylene Carbonate, Cetyl PEG/PPG10/1 Dimethicone, Hexyl Laurate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Phenoxyethanol, PEG-12 Glyceryl DiMyristate, Water, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate, Betaine, Glycerin, Potassium Sorbate, Tremella Fuciformis Sporocarp Extract. May Contain: Titanium Dioxide, Iron oxide

on 5/8/2015 10:32:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I'm not sure why there are so many negative reviews on this product because it is awesome!! I have used many eyelid primers before (Urban Decay/MAC). The difference here is that this has this awesome creamy texture that basically acts like glue. It will hold on to anything you put on your lid!! My friend didn't understand what the use of an eyelid primer was until I did a demo on my hand. I swatched the primer and put some sheer eyeshadow on top of it. Then swatched it without the primer & the results were undeniable! Love it!

on 2/3/2015 4:15:00 PM

I have super challenging eyelids for eye makeup - very hooded (similar to Charlotte Rampling at age 50) plus dry and crepey. I have to use a primer under any liner or powder or I end up with the liner on my upper eyelid.

This is not the primer for me. The beige color really increases the look of lid wrinkles and dryness. I'm pale and this color shows up too peachy for the look I'm going for.

on 9/26/2014 3:04:00 PM

I prefer a natural look and I have dark eye lids (olive skin tones). I am trying to brighten up my eyes. I use the primer with eye shadow dusted on top and it lasts exactly the way I applied it until bed time when I wash it off. The eye shadow I use is Bobbi Brown Ivory. Oh and also I am using Smashbox Full Exposure mascara.

I have been using this primer for a couple of months. I have tried two other primers: Too Faced and Urban Decay. This is the best of all. I apply it with a long handled small flat brush - I don't use their applicator. I can control the coverage better with my brush.

Super good product and this is the first time I've ever bought Smashbox cosmetics - I'm impressed!

on 9/24/2014 12:23:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I really enjoyed this product! In the past eye lid primers have dried out my eyelids, but this was not the case! It went on very well and was neither thick nor heavy. However I use the product sparingly, after all there is no need to cake on primer! I was worried the colour of the primer would show through, but I did not at all! Also this primer can be used as a good cover up, so it acts as a two in one product!

on 9/6/2014 10:51:00 PM

It's a good product. It does what it's supposed to- hold your eye make up in place. But I must admit, I don't wear heavy eye-shadow on a regular basis, and mostly just use it to keep my eyeliner in place. I like it. I haven't tried any other eye primers so I can't really compare. I didn't pay a lot of money for it because I got it at Winners, so I have no complaints. It applies with a peachy colour, but that fades after it dries.

on 8/31/2014 6:06:00 PM

I am quite surprised by the negative reviews on this. I bought the Try Me kit that included a sample of this lid primer, and after I had used it a few times, I went out and bought a full size of it! I have the UDPP as well, in Eden, but I prefer the consistency and finish that the Smashbox primer has. No creasing and no shimmer :) It makes my eyeshadows stay put all day. I may not repurchase the Urban Decay primer, but I will definitely repurchase the Smashbox primer again and again. (PS. I have oily skin, if that helps)

on 8/23/2014 12:21:00 PM

I purchased a Smashbox Starter Kit at Sephora as I figured for $20CDN, you received quite a nice sample set of Smashboxs' best sellers.

In this set there was a sample of the Photo Finish Lid Primer. It came in a .02fl oz/.05ml container with a doe foot applicator. Similar to the previous Urban Decay PP bottles.

For the past few years I have been using UDPP and have been just content with it. So I was eager to try this new one.

First thing I noticed when I opened it was how similar the constancy was to UDPP. A nice thick and creamy mixture. Perhaps a tad thicker than UDPP. The colour was a dark beige which dries quite matte. No shimmer or anything scented happening.

As for holding power, I am quite impressed! My shadow lasted all day. No creasing, nothing. As for colour vibrancy? Pretty impressive. My shadow appeared to be vibrant and stood out.

But my biggest peeve with this stuff? It dries out super quick. I had the sample for not even a month before everything dried out and I couldn't use it. So it lost a lippie due to that issue. I think if Smashbox followed suit of UDPP and put it in a squeeze tube, it would fair much better.

I am impressed by how well this performed and I am surprised that it does not get a better rep. Perhaps it is the issue of drying out that turns a lot of people away, but to be honest, I would go out and purchase a full size bottle once my current stash of UDPP runs out.

Happy Shopping!

on 8/19/2014 3:26:00 PM

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I'd say this is a middle of the road primer. Its not bad, but its not good.

Its quite dry, also it has a color to it. The color is quite orange and noticeable for my fair skin. So, keep in mind if you're fair-light this may look orangey.

It did make my eye-shadow stick better and last an ok time, but for this price there is better alternatives.

on 8/11/2014 7:54:00 AM

Thisw as my first eye lid primer and i must say it was pretty great. My eye shadow lasted at least 6 hrs without creasing. I have also tried the newer shadow insurance by too faced which is very good but a tad dry. I have re purchased the smashbox as there was an offer for two at a reduced price. The shadow insurance is slight pricier.

on 7/30/2014 12:09:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

It reminds me a lot of the Elf Eyelid Primer, but this stuff is thicker. It kept my shadow and liner looking good for about 3 hours. After that, it looked awful. I'm just happy i only got a travel size. Going back to UDPP.

Video Reviews & Tutorials