September 1, 2014 | 1614 users online

Eye Primer - Smashbox - Photo Finish Lid Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2014 6:06:00 PM More reviews by Jymmie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am quite surprised by the negative reviews on this. I bought the Try Me kit that included a sample of this lid primer, and after I had used it a few times, I went out and bought a full size of it! I have the UDPP as well, in Eden, but I prefer the consistency and finish that the Smashbox primer has. No creasing and no shimmer :) It makes my eyeshadows stay put all day. I may not repurchase the Urban Decay primer, but I will definitely repurchase the Smashbox primer again and again. (PS. I have oily skin, if that helps)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 12:21:00 PM More reviews by Kittens88

I purchased a Smashbox Starter Kit at Sephora as I figured for $20CDN, you received quite a nice sample set of Smashboxs' best sellers.

In this set there was a sample of the Photo Finish Lid Primer. It came in a .02fl oz/.05ml container with a doe foot applicator. Similar to the previous Urban Decay PP bottles.

For the past few years I have been using UDPP and have been just content with it. So I was eager to try this new one.

First thing I noticed when I opened it was how similar the constancy was to UDPP. A nice thick and creamy mixture. Perhaps a tad thicker than UDPP. The colour was a dark beige which dries quite matte. No shimmer or anything scented happening.

As for holding power, I am quite impressed! My shadow lasted all day. No creasing, nothing. As for colour vibrancy? Pretty impressive. My shadow appeared to be vibrant and stood out.

But my biggest peeve with this stuff? It dries out super quick. I had the sample for not even a month before everything dried out and I couldn't use it. So it lost a lippie due to that issue. I think if Smashbox followed suit of UDPP and put it in a squeeze tube, it would fair much better.

I am impressed by how well this performed and I am surprised that it does not get a better rep. Perhaps it is the issue of drying out that turns a lot of people away, but to be honest, I would go out and purchase a full size bottle once my current stash of UDPP runs out.

Happy Shopping!

rated 3 of 5 on 8/19/2014 3:26:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'd say this is a middle of the road primer. Its not bad, but its not good.

Its quite dry, also it has a color to it. The color is quite orange and noticeable for my fair skin. So, keep in mind if you're fair-light this may look orangey.

It did make my eye-shadow stick better and last an ok time, but for this price there is better alternatives.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/11/2014 7:54:00 AM More reviews by leeyinmei

Thisw as my first eye lid primer and i must say it was pretty great. My eye shadow lasted at least 6 hrs without creasing. I have also tried the newer shadow insurance by too faced which is very good but a tad dry. I have re purchased the smashbox as there was an offer for two at a reduced price. The shadow insurance is slight pricier.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2014 12:09:00 PM More reviews by kattay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

It reminds me a lot of the Elf Eyelid Primer, but this stuff is thicker. It kept my shadow and liner looking good for about 3 hours. After that, it looked awful. I'm just happy i only got a travel size. Going back to UDPP.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/22/2014 4:14:00 PM More reviews by Sweetheart7

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used the Too Faced Eye Shadow primer (one in the light blue tube) since I started doing my makeup but decided to try this. For this primer, I like the feel and application of this. Compared to the Too Faced primer, it blends easier and my lids don't feel tight/dry when I apply eye shadow.
I think the packaging is nice and good for travel. But I am all about keeping things hygienic and I would prefer not having to dip into the product each time I use it. I didn't notice any creasing of my shadow which was on for a few hours, but my shadow didn't seem as bright I guess after a few hours. But I don't see it as a problem, I am more worried about it creasing instead.
I do think that this is a good primer and worth trying out if you don't wear a lot of eye makeup, need something for oily eyelids, very basic eye looks and etc. But personally I won't repurchase this right now because I feel that the Too Faced one is better for long periods of time where as the Smashbox is good for a couple hours.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/11/2014 2:28:00 PM More reviews by Jexka

I got a sample of this from Sephora, and I'm glad I didn't spend the money on this primer. While it's not terrible, there are much better primers out there for the same price or even less. My biggest issue with this primer is how dry it is. If I use too little it's very difficult to blend evenly onto the lid, and if I use too much it flakes and gives my lids a dry, cracked look. It's hard to get just the right amount onto each lid, and to blend it quickly before it starts setting and becoming even more dry. Although this looks and feels very dry, it's actually pretty easy to blend any products on top of. I've used shimmery shadows, matte shadows, and cream shadows over this, and they all blend very nicely (unless you used too much primer; then it will look flakey). This does keep my shadows from creasing pretty much all day, but I find that when I use this my shadows tend to fade and become less vibrant throughout the day. I'm also not huge on the packaging -- I'd prefer a squeeze tube because it's easier to control the amount and to get out the last of the product. I would pass on this primer -- I've found better ones for a fraction of the price at the drugstore.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/27/2014 5:39:00 PM More reviews by foxkid

Bought a primer trial kit as I wanted to try out the Photofinish foundation primer.
Find the formula quite rough on the skin, feels like there's tiny tiny grains in it scratching the thin skin around my eyes and it also feels quite heavy (kind of aware that it's on your face type of feeling)

For the price I would buy this again, if you are undecided about this I would recommend ordering the try-kit off their website :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/24/2014 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Fark222

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

My review is going to look a little out of place, since I actually had a positive experience with this eye-primer.
My mom initially got it in a starter package from Smashbox, and she bequeathed it to me after she decided she didn't need the extra step in her make-up routine (her loss!).

I have struggled with greasy, translucent eye-lids (complete with purple-y veins- oh, the problems that come with being pale) so I can really appreciate the thick formula and the yellow undertones. I don't even wear the primer with eyeshadow on most days, I just use it to cancel out any discolouration and control the greasiness. I like to set it with my Physicians Formula mineral correcting powder just to soak up any other grease and clear up any additional discolouration.

The price is steep, but since this primer is a staple in my everyday routine, I don't mind couching up the cash about once every year and a half or so.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2014 3:02:00 PM More reviews by Ohh2pretty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This product goes on thick and chalky. I found if I used my finger it was better than applying it with the brush. It dries chalky too. It does keep your shadow fresh and crease free through out the day. When I used it on the 2nd day I noticed a hard, painful zit under my brow area! I have never had this happen before-ever. This is the only new product I've used, so I'm sure this caused it. I would not buy this and will stick to Two Faced or Urban Decay primers which work great!