October 1, 2014 | 1671 users online

Polishes - Essie - Shelter Island

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/12/2012 8:12:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

I have used most of this bottle, which says to me that I enjoy this color. I primarily use it during the summer on my toe nails, but since growing out my finger nails I have found this makes a great finger nail polish color too.

I enjoy blue polishes very much and this one doesn't disappoint me. It looks great with orange and bright colors, but I also think it is a color you can wear year round. I have been wearing very neutral colors lately and this is a nice change.

If you like essie polish and blue colors I would recommend picking this up. It especially looks great with a tan (real or fake)! :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/12/2012 7:42:00 PM More reviews by xxhna

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just bought this a few weeks ago and tried it for the first time last night. Application is amazing! I used 3 thin coats. The finish is at 2 coats appears to look like a jelly-creme, so pretty! But I added a third just for sure. Gorgeous color! It's the color of the sky in the afternoon on a beautiful sunny day. It looks wonderful against my medium skin tone. My mother who is not a fan of other colors besides pink and white, absolutes loved this on me. Do jump at the chance if you find this!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 7:48:00 PM More reviews by mizsockmonkey

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This polish is the color of the sky in a child's painting. It just makes me happy.

Application is easy. It does require three coats, but since the polish isn't that thick, it's not too bad. It's not an everyday polish, but it's one of my favorites.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2010 6:36:00 AM More reviews by Ethabella

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am a big fan of blue nail polish and use many different shades all the time. It is definitely not my favourite blue, and not even my favourite essie polish...it's still really great. It's such a cheerful shade that I normally prefer in the summer; but at the same time it works well even if you're dressed dark in a colder day.

Usually need 2-3 coats to make it look the way I want it. As mentioned before, it's not my favourite essie formula...most of my essie polishes are easier to apply, but it's not too bad. The colour isn't the best on my skin, but I still enjoy it from time to time!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2010 12:42:00 PM More reviews by AmandaMarie077

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

LOVE THIS COLOR

I only review nail polishes if they are absolute favorites!

The blue is such a pretty swimming pool color - not pastel, but not too bright either, the perfect mix!!

3-4 coats needed witch is the only downside but it's SO worth it!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2009 6:00:00 PM More reviews by isonbeatrice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is such a gorgeous, gorgeous blue. What I love about it is that first people notice how pretty it is, then they realize that it's blue. It's not in-your-face-crazy blue. I get compliments on it all the time.

I'm not really a stickler for formulas, but this isn't bad--2 or three coats will get you opacity.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 5:02:00 PM More reviews by pretty_please

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really love this polish and I am not a blue nails type of girl. I really like the Essie formula, I didnt find it to sheer, I used two coats, one thin and one thicker and I got a nice opaque sky blue color. My name is Azure, which means sky blue...so I suppose the color is fitting. App, dry time and removal were all A+. I also loved Greenport, this while collection was great.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2009 6:45:00 PM More reviews by Mychapeau

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Shelter Island is a nice surprise from the usually conservative Essie brand. I'm on the fifth day of wearing this polish with minimal tip wear although part of that is in thanks to using Nubar base and top coats.

Anyway, this color is a dupe for OPI's Just Groovy and Zoya's Yummy, so you definitely don't need all three, just pick your favorite brand and go for it. The Essie formula is Big 3 Free so it is a big goopy and sheer, but I managed it just fine. You'll achieve bottle color with three regular coats or two thick ones. I've dealt with much worse and this color is too pretty to complain about that.

I love the color and will definitely wear it again. Your nails will definitely be noticed and complimented with this bright shade!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2009 4:16:00 PM More reviews by XuanAn

I've been looking for a blue nail polish for a while now and when I saw Shelter Island being swatched on a nail polish blog, I just had to buy it. It's such a pretty sky blue color! It needs 3 coats though because it goes on quite sheer...

rated 5 of 5 on 4/25/2009 3:58:00 AM More reviews by 777designz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Green

I saw a swatch of this polish on one of those nail polish blogs and absolutely fell in love with it. Very bright without being neon, somewhere between the pastel blue and royal blue colors I see (and own) a lot of. I ordered a bottle of it online and was so disappointed that it didn't look like the pictures. For some reason mine looks lighter and like Sally Hansen Blue Raspberry without the shimmer. I put it away for a month and decided to try it. Something about the gel-like texture makes it look like water and I can't stop staring at it. I absolutely love the color, and it hasn't chipped after several days now. The only thing I dislike is the small brush all Essie polishes have, which seems to encourages streaks when you apply the very sheer formula.