December 21, 2014 | 1216 users online

Makeup Brushes - E.L.F. - Studio Line Fan Brush

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/23/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by scopingforyou

PROS: Works great to dust away any mascara flakes after combing lashes. Very, very soft. I adore that it has a great cover that actually stays on too. Mine does not shed. Very inexpensive. Comes with a sort of a case.

CONS: None for me.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/17/2013 8:58:00 PM More reviews by southberry31

Many people are saying that they don't like this product. personally I think it is a wonderful brush. I use it to apply my The balm Mary Lou-manizer highlight. Also from time to time I will use it to apply a very pigmented blush like the WnW coloricon. It is a bit flimsy but I don't mind. This is a hit or miss brush IMO.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/20/2013 5:18:00 AM More reviews by vuvie

Errmmm... Soft enough but way too sparse.
Got the professional fan brush. Same difference. Nothing fantastic. Works alright not great. Cheap is cheap. In every sense. Yucks. And it is shedding like crazy. Pretty soon it's gonna be like an old peacock... With not feathers~

rated 2 of 5 on 1/15/2013 11:50:00 PM More reviews by luverchick

i only use this once in a while to whipe off any light flaking on my face....but that i can do with any other brush honestly

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2012 8:09:00 PM More reviews by leslie7622

I only use this to apply a light finishing powder under my eyes and dust any fall out from the eye shadows. The brush is very sparse and doesn't pick up a lot of product. But its perfect for getting some powder directly under the eyes.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2012 7:09:00 PM More reviews by drsweety1993

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't understand how anyone could ever like this brush. It's awful. The bristles are just way too flimsy so be effective at applying or even dusting off any sort of product. On top of that, once you wash it, the hairs sort of form clusters and it loses its "fan" shape. Isn't that the whole point of the brush? I haven't had any problems with any other studio line brushes, but this one was disappointing . I'm only giving it a two because it didn't completely fall apart. I suggest you save the few dollars it costs.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/13/2012 11:32:00 PM More reviews by mothalicka

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I ordered this brush online after hearing about how nice highlighters look when applied with a fan brush. I was, and still am, so disappointed. This brush has VERY sparse hairs and will not pick up enough product. (I used it with MAC Lightscapade and Soft and Gentle.) This brush is very cheap, but save your money!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2012 3:43:00 AM More reviews by RachelisGreen

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This brush is flimsy and really doesn't even brush away hairs on my face that have shed from my other brushes. Doesn't pick up or distribute product. I normally love elf brushes but this is a waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2012 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I like using it to apply highlighter with. Other than that, I haven't really found any other use for it.

I don't necessarily think that this brush is a must-have. However, it is pretty okay to have around nonetheless.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

ELF Studio Fan Brush is a multi-use brush that I've had my eye on for quite a while. Like all ELF products, this brush is cruelty free and made of anti bacterial, taklon bristles. ELF claims that this brush makes you a professional makeup artist, and will help you create flawless looks. Whoa ELF. Legit? I wasn't aware purchasing a fan brush made me a licensed beauty professional! I ain't gonna argue, this is going to save me tons of money now that I don't have to go to beauty school. ELF products are made in China. I purchased this brush at Target for $3. ELF products can be purchased online at the company website, or in store at Target, Kmart, Big Lots, some Walmarts, and dollar stores.
ELF brushes come in a plastic pouch that can be kept for travel purposes, but I always toss mine. The brush it's self has a long, black, plastic handle that's very very light in the hand. The name of the brush is written on the handle in white lettering, and doesn't seem to be rubbing off or anything. The ferrule is made of a glossy black plastic and seems to be well attached to the handle and grips the bristles firmly.
The black taklon bristles are soft and a little thicker than I thought they'd be. The bristles are quite flexible and move together well. The bristles are uniform length and don't seem to splay, except for the odd hair or two at the ends of the brush. The brush head is about 2 1/2 inches across at the top of the fan, about the perfect size for working in the cheekbone area. I find the fluid movement of this brush's bristles pretty impressive, as I see that as the mark of a good brush.
I don't entirely understand what ELF means by the bristles being "anti bacterial". Is there some sort of coating on them? There's no way I can test this currently, so I'll remain skeptical. ELF also says that this brush is absorbent and can be used with wet or dry cosmetics. Generally speaking, I don't want my brushes to be absorbent, but I can see what they mean. This brush really holds on to any glitter or shimmer it comes in contact with. I've only used the Studio Fan Brush with powder products for two reasons. One; because I prefer to apply cream products with my fingers or a Claire's small eyeshadow brush. Two; I feel like it'd be a pain to clean.
So what does a fan brush do? That's a really common question, I see Drugstore Princess get asked that like all the dang time. Fan brushes are super multi functional. ELF lists the following uses for their Studio Fan Brush: Blending away makeup mistakes, dusting and wiping on powders, and contouring. But this brush can also be used for highlighting, subtle bronzing, light blush application. polishing on setting powder over foundation, anything you little heart desires. Personally I mostly use this brush to apply highlight, and sometimes bronzer. I find it doesn't work very well to sweep away fall out, which sucks because that's partially why I wanted this brush. Actually I wanted a fan brush mainly because they look cool. Pretty, delicate, and elegant, the highlight of a brush jar.
ELF's Studio Fan Brush is made decently, but there are a few small issues. As I mentioned before a couple of the bristles splay in the corner of the brush, but it isn't anything major, just a few hairs. This brush also sheds lightly, just a bristle or two from time to time. Despite the negligible splaying/shedding, this brush washes well, dries quickly, and keeps it's shape. Also, the black dye in the bristles doesn't seem to bleed out during washing.
I like ELF's Studio Fan Brush. It's a splendid value, just $3 for a brush you can use in so many different ways. This brush is made pretty well, but it has a couple minor issues that I'm willing to overlook. I love applying powder highlight with this brush, but it's also great for applying bronzer in the most subtle fashion. Plus it looks cool. Check this brush out if you're looking to expand your brush collection, or have been curious about fan brushes. It's affordable and versatile which is a swish combo. I'd definitely repurchase.