December 19, 2014 | 1540 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Conair - Instant Heat 1-1/2" Curling Iron/Straightener

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2013 10:11:00 PM More reviews by sochlo

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Wow - I'm pretty surprised that there are positive comments!

I bought this product at Walmart for about 20$, thinking it was cool to have a straightener and a curling iron in one - and it was cheap!

I have A LOT of thick wavy hair, and this product is not nearly hot enough. The curling iron doesn't curl my hair at all, and the straightener doesn't straighten my hair at all. So basically I wasted 20$.

The product itself is a great idea, and looks pretty cool, but really doesn't work on thick hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/23/2012 11:41:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

I loved this product! It worked better for me as a straightener than my much more expensive one. Heats up quickly to high heat. I didn't use the curling side to make curls per se, but rather after I straightened my hair to give the ends a flip, soften the look and it worked well for that. I used this about 3 years which given the price is a pretty good deal. I had a problem with turning it on, fairly early on and as time went by the problem increased. So sometimes I can turn it on, sometimes I can't any longer which is sad to me. I don't think its an issue in general as looking through the reviews it doesn't seem to come up with others. I miss using this more often!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/23/2012 8:05:00 PM More reviews by AshleyLovesMakeupx3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This hybrid's performance is unfortunately subpar for both of its designated jobs. It forms very weak curls because the clamp does not grasp hair well, and while this product does straighten hair, its design makes it a very tedious job because you have to keep your hand in an uncomfortable position to constantly clamp the two irons. I would rather have spent my money on a flat iron because it does both jobs better.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2011 3:35:00 AM More reviews by muzikmk18

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this product! Even though it's a curling and straightening iron, I usually use it for straightening but it does give really nice curls. Heats up fairly quickly so it's handy when I'm in a rush. Also, the price wasn't too bad.
Update: I've been trying to use this recently to curl my hair and I have difficulties using the clamp (maybe due to the fact that I have a lot of layers in my hair).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2010 12:58:00 AM More reviews by dancer156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I LOVE this straightener for the purpose of giving my hair a big curl (I've never used the curling iron part to this). The size of the barrel is perfect for creating a nice flip and volume. I close the barrel over each section of my hair and while slowly pulling it downward and outward, I gradually twist the barrel until its rotated 360 degrees from where it started. I think this is very well made, I like how the plates actually completely touch each other when closed (I've gone through a lot of other straighteners that don't do that). If I happen to get too much hair in the straightener, some occasionally does get caught in the front part of the barrels. Since I have thin hair, I do have to turn the heat down to the lower settings. It heats up and cools off quickly. I found the price very reasonable (~$20). Unfortunately, it is a bit bulky for travel.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2010 3:20:00 AM More reviews by egoh

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The Conair 1.5 inch curling iron/straightener combo looks like it's from the "instant heat" series except I think it's only available in the ceramic plates instead of the usual silver barrel. It has 25 heat seating plus a turbo heat button. It does heat up quickly, about 30 secs and has a "lock" on the tip to let you open the barrel so that it becomes a straightener. Let me start by saying, the curling and straightening power of this iron is only slightly above average ( 3.5 lippies) and it does take some getting use to on the handles for straightening. The distribution of heat will probably be better if it was made of the same silver barrel as the normal "instant heat" line. Anyhow, I gave it 4 lippies because it's soooooo travel friendly! I recently took it to Hawaii, on vacation, and I'm absolutely glad that I did since I could change my hair style so easily without having to lug around 2 separate tools :)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2010 4:49:00 PM More reviews by prtyof1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I've had this for quite awhile (a year maybe). I primarily use the curling iron part though. I just used the straightener part of this hair and it worked well, I'm sure it's not as great as an expensive one. It gets very hot (which is needed for my super thick hair) so you have to use it with care. Not moving the curling iron part of the handle while using the straightener takes some getting used to.

I said I would buy it again even though I probably will try something else. I just wanted to give it a positive review. It's worth a try and IMO it's a great styling tool for a girl on a budget.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2009 11:06:00 AM More reviews by galactickim

This product sucks, do not buy it. I use it primarily as a straightener, and it pulls out my hair because it's designed so poorly. I've been using it for about 2 months and suppose I should just go buy a real straightener.

I tried using the curling iron portion of it last week and it's so awkward that my hair kept slipping out.

Do not waste your money on this product. I thought I would save money by buying a 2-in-1, but now I just have to go out and spend more money.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2009 11:39:00 PM More reviews by mochasplash

i didnt want to be the first reviewer for this iron. i was counting on mua to provide me with some guidance on whether i should have bought this or not!
my babyliss ceramic straightener died and i needed to get a replacement for the weekend. i went to walmart and picked this up for $20(canadian)
i really wanted to love this. however, the barrel is too big when using it for straightening. the curling handle (clamp?) also gets in the way of using the straightening part of this iron. it's not true ceramic either. if u follow the yellow color of the curling handle/clamp to the base underneath the handle, you will blatantly see that it was either spray painted or air burshed. so it's coated like the Satin Finish 3/4" Ultra-Slim Ceramic Straightener.
the cord is not very long either.
the pros to this is that it's 2 in 1 obviously. it does get very fucking hot. if i wasnt taking this back to get the 3/4" straightener instead, i know i would eventually burn my fingers, hand, scalp, neck or ear. they should have made this in a 1 inch instead, that way it would be less bulky. it doesnt really tug at my hair, but i can tell a difference in a professional brand iron compared to this.