October 25, 2014 | 1873 users online

Skincare - Face - Philosophy - Completely Clear Skin System

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2011 9:16:00 PM More reviews by yohina1989

I've been struggling with acne ever since my teenage years. It's gotten a lot better, but as I live in a hot and humid place in the summer my acne would flare up often if I don't take care of it. So since I've heard a lot of good things about Philosophy, I decided to try this set. I'm surprised at how well this have worked. I especially love the retinol one. I use it every other day at night and the next morning I would have super smooth skin!! I usually just use the spot treatment. So far I have not had any bad acne breakouts, but just one or two spots, which is really good for me. This one definitely works, although the face wash does dry out my mouth area so I always have to be careful not to clean there really hard. I would not repurchase this just because it's so expensive and I can probably find other ones hopefully as effective for cheaper price, but I probably would keep the retinol one as a staple in my collection. it's a miracle worker.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2010 5:08:00 PM More reviews by lanajito04

I have moderate to severe acne... been struggling with it since I was 16. It sucks to have acne at an adult age!

I used this product for 2 months. I was patient and hoping that this product would work within 6-8 weeks like its supposed to. This skin care kit treated my face like a ROLLERCOASTER. When I thought I was clearing up, the next day, my face would totally break-out. I liked the foaming face wash and the all-over face gel, but the sulfur spot treatment stinks! The retinol treatment SOMEWHAT cleared my scars when my face was clearing, but then it would just break out again.

I defnitely would not waste the money for this product. For the full-sized kit, I bought it for $65 at Sephora. It lasts for 4 to 6 weeks, if you use the product twice a day.

The sample kit, I bought for $22 at Sephora as well, lasted about 2 to 3 weeks.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2009 4:14:00 AM More reviews by glossguru

This is excellent stuff! I have extremely difficult skin. I am very prone to clogged pores on my forehead and chin which rise and look like pimple except they don't go away, and they hurt because they are all under grond! Not to be confused with any sort of cystic acne, I definitely don't have that.This is very disappointing since I had perfectly clear skin until age 15. I have tried proactive, clean and clear, dermologica, cetaphil, and the neutrogena acne system, nothing worked. All of these systems had gel like products that were supposed to clear up the area, but in reality, the gels clogged more pores and made the bumps I already had much larger. And none of the blemishes would dry out, only clear skin areas on my cheeks and by my eyebrows. I started using this system only 3 days ago, and already my skin is so much clearer! All the bumps I had shrunk dramatically in size and now are hardly noticeable. At first, I was concerned because the cleanser doesn't really give me that deep clean feel that I am used to, and they had a gel like product; but the cleansers gentle method accompanied with the retinal lotion and clearing gel have improved my skin dramatically. I can't wait to see what it will be like in a week!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2009 2:21:00 PM More reviews by annie_b

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using this kit for about a week now, and I'm seeing results. I have breakout-prone skin that tends to get slightly oilier in summer. With the temperatures and humidity in Texas rising I needed to step up my breakout defenses. I've been using the all-over gel during the day, the retinol lotion at night, and the spot treatment morning and night as needed. My skin is starting to look more even toned and I think I am breaking out less frequently. I have continued to get stubborn little blemishes on my chin but they go away more quickly, and leave less of a mark, with the use of the spot treatment. Overall I'm very pleased and will strongly consider purchasing the full size products once I'm done with this starter kit.

I think the least useful part of this kit is the cleanser. I don't see the point of putting a treatment into something that you are going to wash off within less than a minute. How much can your skin really absorb in the small amount of time it takes to wash your face? I doubt I will purchase a full size cleanser but the rest of this kit has been great. I will update my review if I change my opinion.

UPDATE: I've decided that the best parts of this "system" are the retinol lotion and the blemish spot treatment with sulfur. The rest can be duped for much cheaper. For instance, Neutrogena makes a nice 2% BHA treatment that can easily replace the On A Clear Day all-over treatment, and I maintain that the facial cleanser doesn't need to contain an active ingredient. In general I like philosophy's products but I can save some pennies by being selective about which products I just *have* to have.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/3/2009 6:18:00 PM More reviews by clare07

I bought the full sized set for $65 and it was a waste of money.
Philosophy claims that you'll see result within two weeks.
I saw no change in my skin that was positive. In fact, this product made me breakout more that I usually did and I got a bunch of blackheads. I didn't like the smell either. Don't bother with this product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2009 4:20:00 PM More reviews by harls321

I tried out this Sephora exclusive kit and I must say I wasn't that impressed. I suffer from adult acne and had luck with Proactiv however Proactiv seemed to stop working and my skin started to look aged. So I decided to try this. Overall it is a good kit especially if your skin reacts well with Salylic Acid treatments.....so it may work for you. I however need something stronger and prefer other Philosophy products for my skin regimine.

The cleanser: Comes out in a foam, left my skin feeling soft, used only in AM since it won't be good to remove mu
Acne Gel: One of my favorites in this kit and would purchase the full size. Feels like a primer. Nice to use under any moisturizer or mu for pimple prevention.
Spot Treatment: Another favorite. Gets rid of blemishes and causes no irritation. Works well under mu.
Retinol treatment: Not a big fan. I felt I got better results with Philosophy's Help Me.

I think for $35 its a great way to try it for yourself as it caused no sensitivity or irritation but it didn't blow me away to re-purchase the system for myself. HTH

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2009 12:29:00 PM More reviews by KatDan

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Overview: This Philosophy's newest skin care line for blemished skin. You can purchase a trial size from Sephora for $35 or a full size set from Philosophy for $65 or purchase the individual products... They are all called On A Clear Day. I purchased the trial set from Sephora and plan to purchase philosophy.com's set when I am out.

Background: I am in my 20's, have breakout prone skin (not true acne), and my skin is dry!

Reviews

Cleanser: Foam cleanser that has salicylic acid... It is actually pretty strong i.e. it has made sensitive parts of my face burn... so i guess that means it is exfloliating?

All over acne treatment: this contains salicylic acid as well however is suprisingly not that drying. It also sinks into your skin.

Retinol clairfying cream: Philosophy doesn't state what percent retinol it is... it does come in a metal tube that will keep it stable. This def. works... I experienced mild peeling in sensitive areas.

Spot acne treatment: this contains sulfur. I have never been a fan of sulfur or rather sulfur has never worked on treating blemishes on my skin. However this works! I was shocked... I put in on budding blemishes and it prevented them.

Does it work?? Yes but this is a premature review.. I have only been using it for a couple weeks but really wanted to write a review because 1) i had time 2) there are no reviews and this has been out for a while.
The acne spot treatment is definitely effective on blemishes. The all-over treatment has prevented new blemishes. The retinol is supposed to be good at fading spots but I haven't used it long enough to notice. I will update with continued use.

Usage: I would recommend using a different face wash or no face wash in the morning. I use the kit's face wash at night and alternate between using the all over treatment and the retinol every other night. Together it is too much.

Recommend: I would recommend this kit to someone past their teen's who is still breaking out. I think the retinol is the best product for us! I would not recommend this to someone with really sensitive skin. I don't know if this would work for oily skin.

I wish: this kit included a good moisturizer

Just in case here is sephora's info:

What it is formulated to do:
Philosophy's Completely Clear Skin System is a revolutionary four-piece system that goes beyond eliminating acne and preventing blemishes. Formulated to treat existing blemishes and prevent future breakouts, this system soothes and hydrates the skin, leaving it feeling comfortable and looking flawless. When used as a regimen, these products clear acne, help reduce the signs of aging and post-acne discoloration, and are gentle enough for long-term daily use. This next generation of treatments for sensitive, acne-prone skin helps you to achieve the clearest, most radiant skin of your life.

What else you need to know:
This advanced kit contains a 1.5 oz On A Clear DayŽ Oil-Free Foaming Acne Cleanser, a 0.4 oz On A Clear DayŽ Oil-Free All Over Acne Treatment, a 0.25 oz On A Clear DayŽ Oil-Free Acne Spot Treatment, and a 0.25 oz Philosophy On A Clear DayŽ Retinol Clarifying Lotion. These paraben- and benzoyl peroxide-free products are designed to improve the skin's overall health and appearance.

What it is formulated WITHOUT:
- Parabens
- Synthetic Fragrances
- Synthetic Dyes
- Petro-Chemicals
- Phthalates

Ingredients: Completely Clear Skin System:

On A Clear DayŽ Oil-Free Foaming Acne Cleanser:
Salicylic Acid 0.5%, Water, 1&3 Propanediol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Glucoside, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Olive Oil Peg-7 Esters, Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Acacia Senegal Gum, Sodium Benzotriazolyl Butylphenol Sulfonate, Buteth-3, Tributyl Citrate, Disodium Edta, Citric Acid, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate.

On A Clear DayŽ Oil-Free All Over Acne Treatment:
Salicylic Acid 0.5%, Water, Sd Alcohol 40, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glycerin, Polysilicone-11, Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate, Polyacrylamide, Oligopeptide-10, Laureth-7, Trimethylpentanediol/Adipic Acid Copolymer, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Trimethylsiloxyphenyl Dimethicone, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hydroxide, Ethoxydiglycol, Caprylyl Glycol, Phenoxyethanol, Hexylene Glycol.

On A Clear DayŽ Oil-Free Acne Spot Treatment:
Sulfur 3.0%, Water, Dimethicone, Glycereth-18, Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Sclerotium Gum, Oligopeptide-10, Epilobium Angustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Polysilicone-11, Polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, Laureth-7, Steareth-2, Salicylic Acid, Ethoxydiglycol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Disodium Edta, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Chlorphenesin.

On A Clear DayŽ Retinol Clarifying Lotion:
Water, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Emulsifying Wax, Glycerin, C10-30 Cholesterol/Lanosterol Esters, Cetyl Ricinoleate, Cetyl Alcohol, Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Retinol, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Ascorbic Acid, Bisabolol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Peg-10 Soy Sterol, Stearic Acid, Methyl Methacrylate/Glycol Dimethacrylate Crosspolymer, Propyl Gallate, Polysorbate 20, Triethanolamine, Disodium Edta, Bht, Benzyl Alcohol, Phenoxyethanol.

**UPDATE 4/10: I changed my rating from 4 to 2. I think the bets item is the gel, next the cleanser, then the spot treatment, then the retionol treatment. The spot treatment only works on superficial blemishes i.e. it did nothing for my chin break-outs. The retinol treatment has definitely been clogging my pores all over my face. I am not sure who this kit might be best for but if you are sensitive to clog pores don't try the retinol. HTH !

**UPDATE 4/19: My skin got full-on break-out's in the most random places from this. I know it was this because within a week of discontinuing, I haven't gotten any new break-out's. I knocke

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No