October 25, 2014 | 1884 users online

Powder - Anna Sui - Moisturizing Powder Foundation SPF12/PA++

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 10:22:00 PM More reviews by PiMehMeh

I received this foundation as a sample pan in B02, in surprisingly sweet plastic packaging with a similar iconic rose motif on the lid. It is the first foundation I have used that is in a pressed powder form, so this took a little more effort to apply than did cream/liquid and loose powder did. The sample came with a small face sponge, as the full size product would. Although I canít judge the product for packaging, I can definitely say that the mirror compact with a small sponge compartment is a very efficient and ergonomic design, and makes this a great travel piece.

I can definitely say from sampling the product though that this gives surprisingly good coverage for how much work it might take to get product off the pan with the sponge, but perhaps this is a good thing because you only need a little for good coverageóany more than that, and you might risk drying or caking. I applied this foundation over Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion and Hard Candy Sheer Envy Primer.

The finish of this foundation is soft, silky matte, a treat for those with combo to oily skin such as myself. Those with dry skin or dry-combo skin types or even just dry patches may need to moisturize prior to applying. True that this foundation does contain moisturizing properties! But I had dry patches around my mouth once during the trial that I was using this, and the foundation alone wasnít moisturizing enough to smooth and conceal the patches; in fact, it accentuated the dry patches a little. So I smoothed a bit more of Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion over the patches to do the trick.

Overall I really like this foundation and feel very privileged to have been able to sample it, since itís very expensive. Itís a good sheer- to medium-coverage foundation for all skin types given that you moisturize appropriately before applying it and apply conservatively. But I definitely recommend it for those who fall into the combination skin type and need a moisturizing and mattifying formula in one. I do NOT however, recommend this for those with sensitive skin, because the product has a strong discernible fragrance and may cause irritation.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2011 3:35:00 AM More reviews by chikorita23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm reviewing the "Moisturizing Rich Powder Foundation" SPF15? *its a bit different then the title here, hopefully I didn't review the wrong one*

Pros:
- Very Good Coverage
- Very chic, beautiful and functional make up case!
- Powder is refillable after your first purchase
- Very good rose tea scent!
- SPF *No good for me but good for people who need it!*
- Price is reasonable! 33$CND for the powder! *But additional 16$CND for the powder case!*

Cons:
- Coverage can be very heavy and cakey!
- Difficult to blend the product evenly!
- Limited color selection
- SPF *Bad for people who doesn't want the chemical SPF ingredient*

I got the B00 color, which I believe is the whitest shade. I know this is a foundation powder so it suppose to have some heavier coverage, but I actually use it over my Lancome Teinted Idole Ultra Liquid foundation. I need to be very careful or else I will look "flawless but heavy!"!

The limited color selection is another problem... I believe I am in between B00 - B01, but B01 is a bit darker *oranger*, B00 is closer but a bit mask like on my fair but pinkish underneath skin tone.

I tried to apply the foundation powder alone right after my moisturizer, but it is very difficult to blend the product. I have a lot of redness on my fair skin tone, this can cover it up, but will look cakey! The only way I can come up with is by wearing a light layer foundation as a base! Then use a powder brush to set on top. If its too heavy, use a slightly wet soft tissue, gently press my face for less matte but a more dewy look! *Don't overdo it... the powder come off easy!*

The make up pad come with the package always end up making me wear too much of the product, so it is an issue when I need to retouch up my make up. I don't like the fact their is SPF in it, I understand most Asian brand prefer "SPF", but not on my acne prone skin though. *I haven't see any problem yet, will update if I did*

Overall I still like this product, it truly cover up ALL of my redness and imperfection, I will recommend this to people who need a heavier coverage, people who has generally fair skin tone. If I didn't find a SPF free powder foundation I will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2010 12:54:00 PM More reviews by stephani99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a die-hard powder foundation fan with combo-dry skin who has tried quite a few brands over the years and I love this stuff. Wish it was a bit cheaper and easier to find, but so far seems to be worth the effort until I find a worthy replacement (I still like Mark Powder Buff but don't always want to order online so I'm debating between PF Healthy Wear spf 50, Shiseido, or Lancome Dual Finish). I use this over a primer and whether applied with a brush or a sponge, it gives a lovely smooth, non-cakey (unless you really overdo it) finish that covers beautifully and lasts all day. It really minimizes my pores and makes me look flawless. The compact is gorgeous as well as functional, refillable, and the sponge that comes with it is one of the nicest ones out there, if not the absolute best. This does not break me out, doesn''t oxidize and the B2 shade matches me perfectly since it's on the yellow side. It does have that Anna Sui signature rose-tea scent which some love and some hate. Luckily, it doesn't cause irritation like some fragrances do on me and dissipates pretty fast. It doesn't feel heavy or mask-like, doesn't enhance any flakies I might have going on -a pleasant surprise on my dry areas. I rarely to never need to blot this and even after I went to a concert on a hot evening, it still looked great afterwards. A little seems to go a long way with this, which is a good thing because I'm going to be bummed when I finish it and can't or don't want to shell out the nearly fifty bucks for a refill. Even if I don't, I'm keeping the compact because it appears to be the same size as other round powders so I'm hoping I will be able to use it with something else.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/1/2010 8:33:00 AM More reviews by youcme

I disliked it the first few times I tried it, it was really cakey when I applied it after my moisturiser. But after trying it with my primer I was hooked. It created a very smooth velvet-y finish, made me look delicate and soft, my friend told me I looked like a doll! I needed one touch-up during the day when I was out for the whole day. It was pricey the first time I bought it as you need to buy both the case and refill seperately, but that's normal for Japanese based cosmetics. I really love it's Anna Sui signature rose scent and the packaging is amazing. It has a small colour selection as it's targeted more towards at Asian customers. I have mine at BO2. I also must note that you can create a cream-ier texture if you mix it with a little water, this is perfectly okay as it is a dual usage powder foundation. So if you have drier skin I recommend adding a little bit of your moisturising mist. But without my primer, it just looks heavy and fake.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2010 12:21:00 AM More reviews by athnamas

I actually kind of love this foundation.
It is one of the first foundations I've ever tried, and recently, I've been going back to it periodically, and even though I've discovered that I prefer liquid foundations, I think this might be in my top 3.

It is a "moisturizing" foundation, so it is not for oily skin, but having flaky or dry skin will make application of this really difficult. It will definitely catch onto any flakes/dry patches you may have and look really cakey in that spot, and it applies really dry. It is a powder after all.
The moisturizing part only really comes in after a couple hours. I have neither dry nor oily skin naturally, so when this foundation "melts" into my skin over a couple hours, it gives me a dewy finish/appearance, which I find that I really love.
I use it with my Anna Sui flat top face brush, buffing it on in circular motions. This is the best brush I've tried it with, but it also works well with kabukis or any flat top brush.
I personally really love the rose scent, and the packaging (case purchased seperately for $15 CDN before taxes). I never use the sponge it comes with, because it looks as if it would work terribly.

This is not a foundation for anyone; since the colours are aimed towards an asian market, the range is very restricted (most very pale). I wear B02, and have recently discovered that this means a NC/NW20 in MAC jargon.
It is not for oily skin, it is not for dry skin.
It medium coverage, so not great for problem skin, or if prefer to have lots of coverage.
It is not for acne prone or sensitive skin, since this may or may not be the cause of my recent breakouts. (I do not have the self-control to cut out products and add them again one by one to find the culprit.)
It is not for people who like convenience or a bargain, since it is hard to find and expensive, considering it is not a prestige brand. ($31 CDN before taxes)

Although it seems like I've said a lot of overly negative things about this foundation, it is still one of my favorites. Its not heavy and I feel really great when I use it, which is, oddly enough, a requirement.
From what I've read, most people hate this foundation, but I love it!
And maybe you will too, but if you live in Canada and are considering it, I would recommend heading to your nearest Sears Anna Sui counter and trying it out first.

I give this foundation a 4.5 and I would repurchase if I broke it or lost it. If I were to use it up to the bottom of the pan, I would have probably moved on to something else by then.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/31/2009 11:55:00 AM More reviews by makeupkit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this product because of the colour, coverage and lasting power. Anna sui doesn't have a great colour selection, but I have found some that perfectly suit my fair, skin. My skin is sort of in the mac c2/c3 range. I prefer foundations that colour match my skin (then I add colur separately with bronzer, etc) But I love using the p04 anna sui in the winter (it's slightly pinker tone flatters my pale wintry face so it's not so sallow). My summer choice is anna sui b02 (light/medium yellower tone. But I love using p04 anna sui in the winter (it;s slightly pinker tone flatters my pale wintry face so it's not so sallow).
As my ageing skin gets less perfect, I need more coverage to hide those reddish capillaries that are appearing, and other spotty imperfections. It has great coverage without feeling too heavy. The product is finely milled so it doesn't seem to amplify fine lines under around my eyes (when I put the the stuff on my well moisturized face).
And it stays put all day (on my drier side of combination skin). It even holds up fairly well in humid conditions. (my test?--still can't see the reddish patches on my cheeks)
What I don't like? It's hard to find. I wish it was commonly available in all department stores in north america.
I hope they don't discontinue anna sui powder foundation line.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2009 9:45:00 PM More reviews by Hawko

I wasn't planning to buy this but the store's promotion sucked me into it. I get $10 off if the purchase is over $50, since I bought the face brush, (which is fantastic) & spent another $38 to top up my purchase. My choice is BO3 which is the darkest in a yellow undertone. It is equivalent to Mac's NC 35. (I only purchase the refill, without the case)

I like this powder because of the colour, I find most yellow shades, when it goes darker, will tend to lean towards a bronzy, reddish-brown, however subtle it may be, lends me a muddy/dirty look. To better "over-describe" this colour, it has a drab undertone to it, which suits my summer colour perfectly. Sometimes when I am not in a good mood, my skin takes on this colour naturally (call me a chameleon). What's even better for me & " pronies" beware, this powder has olive, peach kernel & grape seed oil. Despite of the oils this powder is satin-matte finish, & keep my skin moist.

The label is as it indicates, moisturizing powder foundation, but without the spf feature, my guess is due to the different spf regulation in Canada that the manufacturer cannot claimed to be so.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/24/2009 3:25:00 AM More reviews by Crescent_Shadow

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

My Skin Type:

Ranging from very dry to normal/dry. Sensitive, acne prone.

My Skin Tone:

Some said I have very fair, Casper-ish complexion. Frankly speaking, thatís what you see in my FOTDs, but I personally think I look (much) darker in person than in those photos. Still, yes, Iím quite fair.

Bottomline: my skintone range is lighter than MAC NC/NW15 to NC/NW20.

I have neutral cool undertone.

Packaging:

Signature Anna Sui refillable compact. Itís made from black plastic and is embossed with rose design. Pretty! Separate compartment for sponge applicator.

Color Selection:

Not too much, but there are options for pale skin. I opt for their lightest color, B00, and itís tad too white for me. After a while it will blend and matches okay though.

Texture:

Thick. I donít think the powder is fine enough.

Blendability:

Bad! Seriously hard to blend. Or dare I say, impossible to be blended evenly on my skin.

Coverage:

Medium-full. It certainly got some coverage due to its thickness.

Finish:

Horribly cakey. No matter how little I used, itís just too cakey. I switch back to my Stila Illuminating Powder Foundation SPF12, and itís much finer and have much smoother finish.

Oil Control:

Canít say much about oil control, since I have dry skin. On my very slightly oily t-zone, itís quite okay. I donít have problem with it drying or overly oily on me.

My General Review:

I bought this powder since it has SPF12/PA++ and itís Anna Sui. And it claims to be moisturizing. The packaging is cute, and the price is not bad. I thought itíll be perfect. Wrong. Itís a lousy powder.

I tried to minimize the cakeyness by using very little amount: I just tapped my sponge to the powder and apply, but still it canít be blended well. Brush doesnít work on me too.

I ended up giving this to my mom. It seems that sheís loving it, but I didnít ask her on application method. I personally think I have better powders on my hand.

I tried several Anna Sui powder, and I think Iíll have to steer clear from them. Loose Powder, Powder Foundation, and Pressed Powder are all cakey on me.

Price:

I bought this at IDR285,000 for 10gram refill. Not too expensive for high end brand. I donít remember the price of the casing though.

Availability:

Anna Sui counters are available in SOGO Department Stores Jakarta.

Ingredients:

Talc, Synthethic Fluorphlogopite, Nylon-12, Silica, Squalane, Polyglyceryl-2 Triisostearate, Bis-Behenyl/Isostearyl Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone, Olive Fruit Oil, Apricot Kernel Oil, Raspberry Fruit Extract, Tocopherol, Grape Seed Oil, Aluminium Hydroxide, Butylene Glycol, C9-15 Fluoroalcohol Phosphate, Methicone, Stearic Acid, Water, Butylparaben, Methylparaben, Salicylic Acid, Fragrance.

May contain(+/-): Carmine (CI 75470), Iron Oxides (CI 77492), Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Mica, Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891).

What Else You Need To Know:

This product does contain that pleasant Tea Rose fragrance, the signature of Anna Sui products.

All Anna Sui cosmetics are made in Japan, so itís practically a Japanese cosmetics. Theyíre made by Albion Japan, who also made Paul and Joe cosmetics.

Overall Rating:

2 out of 5. Good color selection for pale skinned ladies, SPF is present. But thatís about it :( continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No