October 1, 2014 | 1194 users online

Shampoo - John Frieda - Root Awakening Nourishing Moisture Shampoo

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/13/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by guitarheroine91

HOLY COW. This review might be a little premature but I was so thrilled with my hair and the feel of my scalp I HAD to write it.

I used this for the first time today, and just to give you a bit of backstory on my hair, it's coloured a reddish brown, dry at the ends, but also combination dry/oily at the scalp. It itches and I have little flaky things of sebum after using most shampoos. Nature's Gate Tea Tree used to be my HG but after multiple uses the sebum started coming back and my scalp was irritated again. I picked this up on a whim at my local shoppers along with the accompanying conditioner. It was just around $10. It caught my eye because of the eucalyptus and the nourishing properties. Fall and Winter are on their way so I want something moisturizing but not something that will weigh my hair down.

The one thing I am iffy about is the fact there are sulfates in this shampoo. But I have used multiple SLS free shampoos that don't perform half as well as this. This shampoo smells amazing, herbal and minty. It is creamy, but cleanses my hair incredibly deeply, it doesn't feel greasy OR stripped. In fact I could run my fingers through it even before using the conditioner. And for the first time in a long time I've gone a full 12 hours without even once wanting to scratch my scalp.

The packaging is great as well as it ensures you get every bit you pay for, and it looks pretty and inviting. I'll update in a while to see if things change, but for now this shampoo (and the conditioner) are my HG. Hello happy scalp!!

UPDATE: While I maintain that while using this line my hair has never looked better, I have a ton of pimples on my back and shoulders from using this. Not sure if it's the shampoo or conditioner, but something is causing a reaction. I'm still keeping it at four lippies just because it makes my hair look THAT good, but unless I stop getting these breakouts I will not be repurchasing unfortunately :(

rated 5 of 5 on 7/12/2013 11:23:00 PM More reviews by PlatinumWaves

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

So my mom got me a bottle of this shampoo and conditioner a year ago.It smelled nice and minty.It made my hair grow faster and shine.Going to buy some after I run out of keratin smooth from TRESemne.You should always change your shampoo and conditioner instead of always using the same thing.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2013 1:04:00 AM More reviews by pinksexyhair

I love this shampoo. My scalp can get oily but I decided to go with the dry scalp formula because I have dry hair. It gets my hair really clean without drying it out. My favorite thing about this product is that it's peppermint. I love peppermint shampoo's but most of them are too tingly for my liking and give me the chills down my neck. This one is really subtle and doesn't overdo it. I love how it leaves my hair feeling renewed and fresh. I love this with the matching conditioner. Definitely recommend. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/27/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by tubbyloves

I originally tried the Root Awakening Strength Restoring shampoo and I loved it! I tried to look for it in drugstores but unfortunately, they changed the packaging and reformulated their products. I could no longer find that one so I opted for this nourishing moisture instead.

I have long straight hair with an oily/dry scalp and dry/damaged ends. My scalp is very sensitive to shampoos and it can get very oily, or very dry.
It is a difficult hair type to work with and many drugstore shampoos leave me disappointed.The Root Awakening line worked surprisingly well for my hair/scalp, I had no allergic reactions to it and I did not experience any buildup.
I cleans my hair reasonably well, however, I do wash my hair everyday. It doesn't dry out my hair and leaves it feeling fresh/clean but still sleek and manageable

The scent is amazing and fresh and it leaves a light scent on the hair after washing. It is a creamy white texture that lathers up really easily. It has pretty good ingredients in it except for the sulfates and the silicone. It is pricier than other drugstore finds but the quality and performance is pretty good.
I don't think that if you had really dry/damaged hair will you find this moisturizing enough. I would recommend this for my normal hair girls!
I like it and will continue to use the one I have now in the shower, and continue using the back up I have stored away. I really would like to go back to the Strength Restoring one though!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2013 1:06:00 PM More reviews by yummizu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Great Shampoo, smells amazing, is it mint or something in it that makes it so refreshing, after a week of use my hair is super silky and doesn't tangle as much as it used to. This shampoo with matching conditioner adds so much shine, too!
It is quite expensive when you buy both shampoo and conditioner, it can come up to $21, so best time to buy it is when it's on sale in Safeway for about $7-$8.
Packaging is great, allows you to take every drop of the product out.

So yeah, try it!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/14/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by rock_chip

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Average shampoo. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The mint feeling on the scalp is nice, and it does clean well, but I noticed buildup after 3 or 4 days. I'm using it up as a body wash, so needless to say, I won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 9:00:00 AM More reviews by lalaglitzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

LOVE the smell. But didn't give my dry hair anymore moisture than when I started using it...not effective but smells delicious so its a love/hate relationship

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2013 6:55:00 PM More reviews by zooz13

LOVED THIS! cleaned my hair and nourished it just like it said it would. i have long,wavy, and a lot of split ends and this really made my hair feel great. and the smell is great too! but you must use the root awakening nourish conditioner to see results

rated 4 of 5 on 2/8/2013 10:38:00 AM More reviews by mrsreid55

I really like this product! I didn't realize how much my other shampoo was weighing down my hair. This cleans my scalp, but also is gentle to my hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/15/2013 11:00:00 PM More reviews by sunkissed127

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this product cause i had a very very very dry scalp. After one wash with this shampoo, my hair was so moisturized and my scalp wasn't dry at all! i love this shampoo!