October 30, 2014 | 705 users online

Fragrances - Thierry Mugler - Angel Sunessence

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2012 9:38:00 AM More reviews by LizWords

This review is for Sunessence edt legere, there seems to be several sunessence versions so just want to be clear. I purchased an 8ML mini of this on ebay because it was dirt cheap. Now I know why. This is supposed to be an angel flanker, but just from the scent you would never know that. Looking at the published notes I would have thought it would be much more reminiscent of the original, but the only notes my nose detects that are the same is the patchouli and bergamot and a bit of berries. The tasty sugary gourmand notes that its namesake is known for are nowhere to be found, the published notes indicate they are included but I sure can't smell them.

I agree with the reviewer below, this is very masculine, smells much like a cologne, which is probably a result of the androgynous and powerful patchouli and the medicinal bergamot. It also has a very synthetic feeling to it that never fades even as the fragrance develops, which of course is never desirable in a perfume. I'm quite baffled by the choice of name for this as well, as there does not seem to be anything sun-like in it at all, I certainly wouldn't wear this during the summer if I were to wear it out at all. I've tried many of the Angel flankers searching for a simpler and more wearable version, unfortunately this does not fit the bill. Angel innocent and angel le lys are much better for that purpose.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/21/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by LaStupenda

Oh God. Now, I don't know what to say about this, really. It IS more tolerable than Angel. I even wore it all day! It's a lighter version of Angel but it quickly turns from "oh, THIS is what Angel should smell like!" to "Ohmigod I smell like my 60 year old grandfather." No joke. This perfume turns from perfume for a woman into cologne for an old man within an hour. If you absolutely MUST wear Angel for whatever reason, then I guess, buy it, but even my own mother said I smelled like a guy wearing it. Not quite what I was going for.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2011 8:44:00 PM More reviews by greydovefeatherwing

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Cool Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wonder of wonders! Someone captured B.O. in a bottle

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/18/2011 11:11:00 PM More reviews by greenfaerie38

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This was far too sharp on me. I just smelled like a bolt of patchouli.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2010 11:12:00 PM More reviews by 9154mf

This is hardly reminiscent of the original Angel. If i smelt this without knowing the name I would never relate it to Angel, I'd think it's one of your standard, nice but highly unoriginal Escada type unoffensive floral fruitys. The bergamot is strong and tangy for the first few minutes and it truly smells like a refreshing summer scent, but then it dries down and out comes honey with the faintest hint of patchouli. I will use my sample but wouldn't buy a bottle.
UPDATE: the next morning I was smelling something that was like Angel then I realised it was this, so obviously this has good longevity. It reminds me of Angel alot in drydown but is of course a weaker version, I still think I'll just stick to the original when I want to smell the heady choc-patch scent.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/14/2010 11:13:00 AM More reviews by nicesmile

ok, so i will keep my hate for the original angel to myself. my eyes literally water when i smell it. wow! anywhoo sunessence is much lighter, sweeter and fruitier. it sort of reminds me of coco mademoiselle as it's drying down. i do love the sweet and fruity notes but there is a 'weird' note that comes out on my skin, the ginger perhaps? but for the angel lovers, please, for the love of god, switch to this for spring and summer!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2009 5:50:00 PM More reviews by mmmmary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I've been intrigued by Angel for years but it was just way too intense for me. Until now. I got a sample vial of this about a month ago and am enjoying it very much. I actually think this early fall time is perfect for this scent, even though it's supposed to be for summer, because the spiciness of it lends itself well to the cooler, crisper air of fall. I might just have to dish out the 80 bucks for this when my little vial is gone.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2009 11:18:00 PM More reviews by Dagney

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Fairly linear sugary sweet scent with a hint of patchouli underneath. The drydown is quite nice because the fruitiness comes through. But the scent is mostly a generic sugary sweetness. I prefer the original Angel and Eau de Star. 1 lippie for being a pleasant smelling fragrance and another lippie for the very cute star shaped bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2009 7:42:00 PM More reviews by Perkup1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I love Angel so I knew I had to try this. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, however, it lasts about a 1/2 hour on me. The og Angel lasts forever on my skin, sadly, as much as I love this, the gorgeous scent is gone so fast. It seems like a waste to me to buy a fragrance when it has no sillage, or else I would stock up on it!
Notes: Bergamot, Floral-Hibiscus Accord, Hedione, Helional, Honey, Dewberry, Red Berries, Vanilla, Caramel, Patchouli, Chocolate, Coumarin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/8/2009 1:53:00 PM More reviews by Shwets

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Originally written 01/04/09:

I recieved a sample of this from Thierry Mugler company in the post today. This is a fresh light scent with a hint of clove. In fact to me its a Unisex Fragrance and inoffensive. This is what i wanted Eau de Star to be which in comparison made me feel very queasy. Great for perfume fans who dislike very sweet scents.

Update (08/05/09): I cannot get over my skin chemistry! Just sprayed the sample again and it smells sweet on me as opposed to a masculine scent! No queasy feeling...how odd. Its like a cross between Angel Innocence and Eau de Star - just how i wanted each of these to be (AI is too sweet and has a nauseating note and EdS is less sweet and watery - with the similar nauseating note).

In addition fantastic lasting power for a summer fragrance.
I have had to increase to four lips.