Ion Color Brilliance - Pre-Color Treatment

on 3/27/2015 5:03:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

OMG.
Okay.

my hair: bleached a fuck ton of times, color stripped, Dawn dish soaped, re-dyed, toned, dyed some more, vitamin C color strip, soap capped. this in less than a month. seriously, it's amazing I have hair. It's in a state right now, but it's still attached. I initially wanted to remove red henna (NIGHTMARE) then I toned then I dyed over the tone (came out too dark) then I color stripped (Dish soap, who knew?) then Re-dyed...oh...woops. Being redundant.
I just want you to understand how deathly my hair situation is. So onward, I decided to go back to red having bleached it for the last time.

**under no circumstances should anyone ANYONE do to their hair what I did to mine. Had it not been for the repeat henna applications and protein treatments I doubt I'd have hair. Please don't do what I did.**

So yeah, it seems I did alllllll of that just to wind up back to red again. lol. but thats the way it goes?
So i've used Colorful [Expressions?] Neutral Protein Filler and had no ZERO success. I've used the red filler in the past and it made my dye too pink-ish. So,
I saw this Ion Pre Treatment and thought it to be the same concept but this is why Ion is better:

1.It comes in a spray bottle. The Neutral, you have to put it in one, or put it in your dye and its just an extra hassle.
2. It smells like lovely green apples.
3. My severely damaged hair actually feels better after I spray this.
4. IT ACTUALLY WORKS.

guys if you know red dye, you know that it's a bitch to maintain in healthy hair. but I used 6rr + 7g + 8rg and got red hair from root to tip. WHAT. being half as destroyed in past situations, my hair just remained this grey gummy useless thing that would only absorb black dye. I honestly can't believe it.
Yes so it's a pretty even red all around. I did, however, DEMI the lengths(10v) and 20v the roots only. The ends are a little faded looking and I'm sure they'll wash out shortly but I'll keep doing protein treatments and use this product.

Would I rebuy? FUCKING YES. fantastic product. less than 5$ and my hair went from being atrocious yellow/orange to scarlet johannson Avenger's red.

omg duh, my application process:
Coconut oil'ed the ends lightly (i don't think this did anything but prevent further damage)
then applied pre-treatment to entire head, no saturating but covering every inch and wide tooth combing it through, then left it for 20 min as directed, then applied dye right on top (of both coconut oil and pre treatment)

on 4/22/2013 4:10:00 AM

This really helped the health of my hair... I am all about keeping my hair as healthy as possible... at the same time i like to do all the fun stuff that reallu can cause a lot of damage. With this product, I feel a little less guilty when coloring my hair. I will absolutley purchase this again, everytime I want to color my hair, this will be the first thing that gets done so it will be easier to manage and protect the integrity of my hair...

on 2/26/2013 11:45:00 PM

Why am I the only one who had a problem with this?
I used it to avoid "hot roots," but that's just what I got. My roots are a beautiful colour, and the rest of my hair is almost black. And that's saying something considering I haven't dyed my hair in months, it was a medium brown starting out, and I used a medium brown auburn.
I followed the directions to a t... so I'm not sure what happened.
I am only giving this 2 lippies because it did make my hair feel better afterward.

Update: It's been a couple years now, and I've used this a few times. I won't change my review because I see barely any difference when I use it. Not sure if it's my hair (can be over-processed, I admit). And I could be making up any difference I see. Not sure.

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I purchased a sample sized packet of this to try before purchasing the big bottle. I applied this before dying and I was impressed with the scent. This made it a little bit more bearable while dying not to have the nasty dye smell. This also seemd to moisturizer my hair a little to absorb the color well. In the long run I am not sure if it made all the difference with my color or not so I will be trying it again before I make a full decision if it is worth it.

I needed a product that would help cover my subborn grays around my face. This really works! I love the results and how easy it is to use. I will use this 'EVERY time I color my hair.

on 9/22/2011 9:11:00 PM

Great stuff. I was ready to use a protein filler from Sallys. Unfortunately they don't carry them here in Ont, Canada because there is no french on the back...... the lady told me about Ion's Pre-Color Treatment. I thought I'd try it.
I haven't tried it on my own hair yet. I had very very light blonde hair extensions that I wanted to dye dark brown. I knew the bleaching I put them through, there could be a possibility they won't grab a dark dye very well. I tried the Ion Pre-Color Treatment and it worked ! The extensions came out all one solid dark shade of brown. Judging by these reviews and how well it worked with my extensions. I will be using this stuff on my hair and follow up with a review about it. I have bleached hair that doesn't dye or hold my brown dye very well. Hopefully Ion's Pro-Color treatment will help.

on 9/11/2010 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

What a great product, and it works! My ends are bleached out and never hold any color whatsoever when I put in low-lights. This absolutelt helped my hair grab the color. I just sprayed it directly on to my hair before I applied Ion Demi Permanent color. I'm very pleased with the results. Holygrail for sure!

on 3/17/2009 8:12:00 PM

I was looking for something that would help to cover my very stubborn gray areas better. I decided to try this since it is suppose to help the color to grab better. Wow this stuff worked! The areas that normally don't cover that well covered perfectly! I will report back on if this helps the color to last longer.

info
* Helps even porosity of hair prior to color or chemical service
* Helps produce even results
* Contains alpha hydroxy acid and citrus extract
* No harsh odor

The ion Color Brilliance Pre-Color Treatment is a state of the art formula that helps to even the porosity of the hair prior to tinting, lightening, permanent waving or relaxing. The alpha hydroxy acids and citrus extracts help to ensure even color results from scalp to ends.

Popular Styling Products