October 25, 2014 | 1111 users online

Primer/ Corrector - English Ideas - Foundation Primer

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2008 9:37:00 PM More reviews by AmyAngel96

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've gone through two bottles of this, and then was no longer able to get it locally and switched to Mac's Prep & Prime, which unfortunately seems to be breaking me out. Luckily, I found the EI primer online and just ordered another bottle! The whole time I used this I never noticed it increasing my breakouts at all, and it did mattify my oily skin and make it soft and smooth for the makeup to go on. I only use a very small amount each time, so though it is expensive it lasts a while. The one thing I don't like is the last bottle I had looked like it still had plenty in it, but almost nothing would come out of the pump anymore. When this next bottle runs too low like that I think I'll try some UDPP-style bottle surgery to get the rest out.

I've not tried Smashbox's photo finish, but the look and description of it are very similar to this - if I end up unable to find this again at any point I'll try Photo Finish as a replacement.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/9/2008 4:47:00 AM More reviews by spiffytiffi912

Age: Unknown Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It's not a bad primer, actually. I wouldn't use it it liberally or everyday, like the packaging says, though. I hate putting a lot of stuff on my face, so I rarely use primer anyway. I will only use it sparingly if I'm really going all out or if I know my photo will be taken and i want my skin to look even (with my foundation in place!). It doesn't make me break out (and I have sensitive skin) and I don't feel clogged. It glides on smooth and my face feels really great.
It keeps my makeup on for the most part, but since I have combo/oily skin, it doesn't really mattify my t-zone very much.
I won't be buying this again because: it's expensive, it doesn't make my skin as matte as I would like, and I found a nice powder foundation that's light and effective (Clinique perfectly real).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2007 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Hisoneandonly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love the formulation of English Ideas Foundation Primer, so far this is the only makeup primer I have used that goes well with both my moisturizer and foundation. The silky smooth texture is lightweight on my skin and although I haven't noticed that my foundation lasts longer I have noticed that it is easier to spread.

Although I like the product a lot, I don't feel like it makes or breaks the makeup. If I am in a time crunch this would be the first thing I omit!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/28/2006 2:05:00 PM More reviews by bebejacket

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

The instructions tell you to apply liberally (so they can sell you more), and to wait 60 seconds for it to set. Well it takes much, much longer for it to set (try half an hour), and when it does, it flakes or beads off with the makeup you try to blend in over it. Yuck. I started to apply LESS liberally, and that worked better, but not enough to make me want to buy it again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2006 7:17:00 PM More reviews by wabdon

I rec'd a sample and it just didn't work on my combo skin. It's a clear gel and it applied easily like Smashbox's but this one felt greasy and my skin look oily. I prefer Smashbox's over this one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2006 2:45:00 AM More reviews by peachykeen01

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my HG foundation primer (or was). It keeps my skin matte and my make-up lasts on my face ALL day long. Other primers I've tried are good about mattifying but my make-up never lasts all day. I'm sad that they are charging more for a smaller amount though...I may have to try the Chanel primer again now that it's the same price as this. Not sure if I will repurchase...if I can find the d/c kind again for the same price.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/9/2006 1:33:00 AM More reviews by heyyouracutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product isn't a great a foundation primer if you have oily skin. It made my t-zone look and feel greasy. I have large pores and was hoping this would help make them less noticeable but it didn't. BUT I've found it works great to keep my eyeshadow crease-free...my shadow creases after the first hour of wearing it but with this primer on, my shadow was still perfect after a few hours in a hot club.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/31/2005 1:32:00 AM More reviews by commercesd

I bought this product before I knew better. In fact, I should have gotten a clue when the salesclerk looked at me incredulously, like, why are you buying this? You don't need it... I have really great skin -- wear little to no foundation and recently, only to cover a little redness and to even out skin tone. This product is okay, but for the price, it is a rip-off, because there are too many other skin tone evening out products like Physician's Formula that are just as good if not better. It has a good velvety feel, and I guess if you NEED this sort of thing, okay. But if your skin is in decent shape, I'd say stick to a good SPF moisturizer, tinted or one that adds luminescence and evens out the skin tone, like Olay, Aveeno -- and just use foundation to cover any other redness or spots. This was a waste of my money.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2005 1:20:00 PM More reviews by joodles

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Horrible product. The directions state “use a liberal amount on your face and neck. Allow 60 seconds before applying foundation”. Applying foundation before the primer dries will cause the primer and foundation to clump. However, I’ve had to wait up to 20 minutes for the primer to dry. Although the primer is clear, applying foundation on top made my skin look orange, perhaps because the primer was absorbing my foundation and I had to use more? The primer made me feel as if I had a heavy mask on and clogged my pores. All of this may be worth it if the primer actually worked but after a few hours my face was shiny.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/4/2005 2:00:00 PM More reviews by meltywarhol

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a free sample of this so I'm trying it out, and I'm not impressed but I think I'm not really in the target market for this. I don't have oily skin or trouble with visible pores, and that's what the other reviews seemed to like it for. It feels smooth going on, but doesn't seem to make my foundation apply any better. It's just an extra step, and if you don't let it dry for a few minutes it'll ball up and roll right off your skin when you try to put foundation over it. If I notice any dramatic effects as far as making my makeup last longer, I'll update, but I've used it a few times and haven't noticed any difference.