August 29, 2014 | 1673 users online

Sunscreen - Kabana - Green Screen

rated 3 of 5 on 7/4/2013 9:09:00 PM More reviews by mehrunissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought a 1oz tube to try it out, because physical blockers usually do not look good on my brown skin. I was intrigued because of the tinted versions they have, and I picked up the bronze tint.

It's a very weird texture. It comes out quite runny out of the tube, but as you start rubbing it into your skin, it becomes really thick and hard to move. There is no glide in this product whatsoever, which makes it difficult to apply it in anything other than a thick layer. I also find that mine was a bit grainy, which mysteriously disappeared with blending.

It feels quite thick on, you absolutely feel it on your face when you wear it, and that feeling stays with you until you wash it off. And even with the tint, I still get a brownish white cast (I look ashy). It also breaks me out, and I suspect it's the vegetable wax or the shea butter.

With all of the above, I can't use it on my whole face. I use a different product for all-over application, but go in with the Green Screen on hyperpigmented spots that need a little extra protection from the sun.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2013 6:18:00 PM More reviews by chanap

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Looking at old reviews, I can tell you that more tints are available now, and it has a higher SPF! It got tested and is 32 now, not 22 spf.

Besides "clear," there is Neutral (which is warm and goldenish), Nude (which looks pinkish -- I don't have this one), Bronze, and Peach. I bought the peach and the neutral.

The latter looks great on both me and my very fair teen daughter. Because the tints are so transparent, the peach looks good, too! (I'm fair-medium and we are both neutral to warm.)

We both can wear it instead of foundation, moisturizer, etc. It has a wonderful consistency and gives my skin a beautiful, slightly golden glow!

How to use? DON'T moisturize before. (if you insist on moisturizing, you're going to have to use lots of powder after.)

This stuff has great ingredients, so I think of it more as a treatment/tinted moisturizer. It got a 1 on EWG, meaning it is the VERY SAFEST for your skin.

It looks so good on that my daughter keeps borrowing it, so I'm going to have to get her her own tube. You can get it at kabanskincare.com

Con: Arrgh, it may be breaking me out! I love the colors, the safety, the texture and foundation-like coverage so much that even though it's breaking me out, I have to give it 4 stars -- to reflect the 5 it could be for you, if you aren't acne-prone.

EDIT: Love the colors, love the texture but won't buy again because something in it -- the vegetable wax? -- breaks me out:(

Edited Again!: upped to 5 lippies because I it has such great colors that I found a way to wear it so it won't break me out (I mix with elemental herbs sunscreen, which is the wrong color, or just put it on parts of my face that don't break out.) I haven't been able to replace this with organic foundation, or CC cream because they just don't have this ones texture (it hides my wrinkles instead of emphasizing them), or color. My skin is both dry, starting to wrinkle, and acne-prone, which is a difficult combo, so this will stay in my bag and I will rebuy.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2012 7:53:00 PM More reviews by Musja

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This sunscreen is like slapping olive oil all over your face, it is imposible to wear on every day bases. Good ingredients but completely useless.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2012 10:28:00 AM More reviews by Soraya9

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm very fair-skinned and have been using this sunscreen for several months. I've found that the best way to get it to match my skin color is to mix the tinted and the un-tinted version. I would prefer that there was an additional color option for people with more gold undertones to their skin than pink but by mixing the two existing versions, the result is more normal looking on me than many other sunscreens I have tried, both natural and chemical.

The other upside to this sunscreen is clearly the natural ingredients and non-nano zinc. I have tried many other natural sunscreens such as those from Marie Veronique Organics. While I like those too, the Green Screen has more zinc oxide and doesn't irritate my skin or eyes. Green Screen also protected my skin well on an extended trip to Israel.I didn't see any noticeable skin color changes even though I was outside without a hat in bright sunshine. I like that it doesn't have too many ingredients and the ingredients are food grade. I've read that you end up "eating" what's put on your face, so for those who care about what they eat, this is a great sunscreen!

Update - Kabana recently added a bronze tint that looks great with my skin! I still mix it with some of the untinted to get an exact color match but I love it!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2011 11:12:00 PM More reviews by shannonannagins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

While this product protected my fair skin from sunburn, it also gave me zits. I tried it several times to make sure it was this sunblock, and I'm quite certain it is. Fortunately, since it only has eight ingredients, I was able to figure out the culprit for my clogged pores by cross referencing the ingredients with other products that have given me pimples in the past or have been alright for my sensitive, acne-prone skin. The culprit is the vegetable emulsifying wax. Waxes and silicones don't sit well with my skin, causing either blocked pores or full on pimples, so I will use this up on my kids. Fortunately, they couldn't care less what kind of sunblock I put on them. ; )

rated 4 of 5 on 2/24/2011 11:54:00 PM More reviews by Ettex

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I did not appreciate this product because the pigment was paler than my actual coloring and it looked weird. But I wanted to like it! My coloring was too warm. I am fair-medium-warm.

Edit:
I wore this again over CVS baby sunscreen and it worked perfectly! It is like a foundation that is also a high quality organic, high spf sunscreen! There don't seem to be any bad ingredients.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/6/2010 3:01:00 PM More reviews by roxaner

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

For the use of nontoxic ingredients I would give this product 5 stars. For cosmetic elegance, I give it 0 stars. This is completely unwearable for me. I put it on and look like I'm wearing clown makeup. I bought the untinted version at Whole Foods. On my hand it looked great so I was quite surprised how it appeared on my face. I don't rub-in my sunscreen because I don't like pulling on the skin and it lessens the protection. I did apply 1/4 tsp and smoothed it over my face. I'll be returning this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/5/2010 11:07:00 AM More reviews by tonyawyatt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this sunscreen. I'm on a mission to 1. use as many natural products as possible that don't have chemicals. 2. get rid of what I think is cosmetic acne. That said, this sunscreen works great for me. The ingredient list is very simple and natural - nothing that I don't understand what it is and it doesn't cause any of those pesky little bumps under the skin. It has moisturizing ingredients & the tinted formula is pretty great to use as a base - to even out the skin tone. It's a little pink on me, but once it sinks in, it looks nice. I can pretty much use this in place of foundation, powder or tinted moisturizer. So this sunscreen is helping clear up my skin, protect it very well against the sun and damage from the sun and allowing me wear minimal makeup. Perfect!

rated 2 of 5 on 7/4/2010 11:17:00 AM More reviews by judibean

I bought the tinted version hoping I had found my holy grail physical sunblock for the body. Unfortunately, it's not. I used it on my arms and legs and it didn't go well with my light olive skin tone. In fact, it looked like I had slathered on pink calomine lotion. I blended well, so that was not the issue. It also felt like pancake makeup on my body and it sat on the skin with a greasy feel. I also realized that because it just sits on the skin, the pink actually rubs off on clothes easily. I washed it off carefully and have thrown out the bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/2/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by RGup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Other Eyes: Brown

This is by far one of my favorite physical blocker sunscreens. However, it does tend to leave a white cast on my face, and especially in the morning when I first put it on, people always comment on how pale my skin is even though this particular sunscreen has a tint to it (though in retrospect, it might be because I use the whole 1/4 teaspoon on my face, I don't like to compromise my sunscreen products). I do have moderately dark skin, so most physical sunscreens tend to show up on my skin. But by the end of the day, my skin always feels so silky and smooth, with little to no acne flareups. It has the highest concentration of zinc oxide of any sunscreen product I have seen at 25% (no nanotechnology), the only FDA approved broad uva-uvb spectrum sunscreen ingredient. I recommend this product if you are serious about protecting your face as I am, and really not care about people's everyday opinions.

EDIT: I have since found other brand that, though they do not have as much zinc oxide in 90% of the cases, they do not leave me as white as this one. Even though I still do not care what other's think, it makes sense that if a comparable product comes along with the same relative protection and less whitening, I would switch to it. My Zinc Oxide Sunscreen of choice now is Graham's Sunclear SPF 30+. Check it out, it is nice.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No