October 31, 2014 | 1620 users online

Moisturizers - Philosophy - Hope in a Jar - for all skin types

rated 1 of 5 on 10/28/2014 11:22:00 AM More reviews by sciencegeek

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok, so I bought a whole 'try me kit' including the Purity Made Simple cleanser, the Microdelivery facial wash, Hope in a jar night and this Hope in a Jar all skin types original formula. Now, If you are new to Philosophy (like I was three weeks ago) please don't rush yourself. I wish someone had told me that. Especially if you had reactions to cosmetics in the past.

Initially, I loved this set. I had been suffering with breakouts on my chin which when I started this set were still semi active. In fact, they would get better and then a few days later get worse like a cycle. Anyway, for the first two weeks of using this set my skin looked the best in months: my breakouts were healing rapidly, my skin had a glow, my skin tone looked lovely and even... However, my skin also started to become really dehydrated and sometimes scaly. The dehydration was so fierce that when I smiled I had lots of dehydration lines (resembling fine lines) around my eyes and cheeks- they were not there before! My forehead and cheeks were bumpy (micro red pumps only visible up close)... And not only my breakouts started coming back (that's ok, I am not blaming this line for this) but also new breakouts popped up. Now, I am not talking about the type of breakouts I was already having. These were new and not limited to my chin. I developed a few red big lumps like boils but with no head on my neck. On my chin, I developed a boil with several heads- never had I seen something like that! On my cheek, a huge boil that had a head made of hard sebum... Sorry for the unpleasant description, but I thought I might as well be as informative as I can. These breakouts do not respond to benzoyl peroxide, they are not acne. They are something else that I never had before and to be honest I am a bit scared. I might have to go to the doctor or perhaps even a specialist. I stopped using the creams three days ago and the boils still look the same....

Back to this cream... It smells horrible, like rotten milk, eggs and synthetic lavender. Some people described the smell as wet dog, I agree with that description! The consistency is ok, it melts in the skin nicely but does not truly moisturise, at least not enough. As I mentioned my skin is very dehydrated from this set. It also makes my skin become really shiny after a couple of hours and when paired with foundation goes even more shiny and even more quickly. The jar is unsanitary but I was scooping some out with a q-tip every time so that is not too bad. My makeup looked strange on top of this though. Like my skin was rough and dry, and after an hour or so... my face would be an oil slick and makeup would look caky.

The glow in my skin is gone which goes to show that this product do not provide any long term results - I used the set for approx. 3 weeks. Stopped three days ago. Any benefits I got from this moisturiser are gone, however, the bad reaction is still here in all its glory.

I am still using the Microdelivery face wash and the Purity cleanser. I am trying to figure out if those are safe and effective. But hope in a jar is finished and I am not going back for more. Hope in a jar night has some product left but I don't want it anywhere near my face. In fact, this is the first time that I feel I have to throw a moisturiser in the bin because I don't trust it not even on my neck.

Overall, this is useless, gave me a glow but such glow stopped as soon as I stopped using this. After three weeks, my skin is hurt, presents boils and serious dehydration. It could be just me, but no. Hundreds of people have reported reactions to this product. Philosophy should have the decency of taking it out of the market, but of course, it's all about the money! Worse moisturiser in the whole world. It's a relief to know that this product is so bad. I no longer have to smell like wet dog. Beware, your skin might look very much improved for a couple of weeks... But hang on in there before stocking up!

P.S- It cannot be used anywhere near the eyes. First time I used it, it made my eyes burn even though I didn't use it anywhere near them. Also, it gave me blackheads. Ugh!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2014 3:29:00 AM More reviews by Gaijin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't get past the herbal citrus cleaner smell on this. I got a sample size of this with my Sephora points. It made my eyes burn, even though I didn't put it near my eyes. Only used this at night, left skin very moisturized. But there are a ton of better moisturizers out there.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/18/2014 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Yumi2

This moisturizer did nothing for my skin and I believe I've given it multiple chances. The smell doesn't bother me, the light texture is fine but for me it just doesn't hold up to deliver the moisture I need for my face during any season/ environment and it doesn't help to improve the condition of my skin in any way. By the end of it all I really can't figure out what I paid for.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/15/2014 11:15:00 AM More reviews by tinalrichard

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff burns the hell out of my eyes. If it didn't have fragrance in it it would be perfect because when I suffer through and look at myself in the mornings I'm impressed with my skin... But it isn't worth the sufferin!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/15/2014 10:46:00 AM More reviews by bevinc123

So, I have to be completely honest, (which is what this website is all about, right!?), I have a love/hate relationship with this products. I am going to say that YES, this products sinks into the skin at night and when you wake up, your face feels like a babies butt. Literally. My face is so smooth and has been a perfect canvas for makeup lately and I really contribute it to this product. HOWEVER, yes the smell is not good! But what's more, and I didn't really see anybody else really talk about this, is that the product seems to separate! My mom gave me 2 jars for Christmas one year and I had to throw one of them out without even finishing the product because it separated and it just didn't "work" anymore. Did this happen to anyone else? It separates cream from like a yellow oil. Ughh, not appealing. But like I said, my face has been pretty smooth.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by LoveJasonA

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG of moisturizers. I have really picky skin, and I love this product. It sinks into my skin really fast, so I don't have to wait forever for it to dry. I wear it under my makeup and have great results.

*warning* do not keep this product in a warm or climate changing area. It will totally screw it up. Just an FYI

rated 2 of 5 on 10/3/2014 9:16:00 AM More reviews by geraldine23

I just bought this last week, day and night cream. Reason i would purchase this is because i saw someone introduce this on tv an di thought of trying it(it sounded so much like if you miss this product is a waste), so i tried it. Night cream is completely fine on me(though no special visible result compare with other products, if ran out of it i might consider to purchase but definitely not day cream. First thing first, i DONT like the smell!! Second, when i apply on my face, i think it irritate my skin as i feel it sting my face and a little bit irritating though there is no visible irritation like redness or anything appear on my skin.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/18/2014 2:40:00 AM More reviews by giggles292

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

There is nothing special about this moisturizer. I only used it at night since it is too heavy and thick for daytime use. The pros about this moisturizer is It didn't make me break out and I like the mild scent; However the cons about this product are: 1.too expensive for a mediocre moisturizer 2. Makes my eyes water if it gets anywhere near them 3. Unsanitary twist top jar and 4. Philosophy is not a cruelty free brand. I wouldn't repurchase this and I feel like people only buy this product because of the brand name.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/14/2014 6:20:00 PM More reviews by Catet91

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I can't get past the smell. The texture isn't pleasant either as it is very thin and filmy. Yuck!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by Angelitica

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to love this product so much, but it is just the worst for my skin. I don't mind the smell, but if I get it anywhere near my eyes they start to tear up and my skin started sweating profusely after I applied this. Just. No.