April 23, 2014 | 2070 users online

Hair - Unrefined Shea Butter

rated 1 of 5 on 4/22/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by rustybag

I was surprised by all of the positive reviews, but then I realized people are rating this as a body moisturizer, but the listing here is for the hair. In body care it's okay, but for my hair, what a nightmare. My hair is thin and fine, and I ended up getting a small tub of a shea butter based leave in for my hair, which gets rave reviews on a long hair message board. I used the tiniest bit on my ends as instructed (I only touched it until my finger tips were shiny & only worked it through the last few inches of my hair, where it's drier), and this stuff bonded to my hair like super glue. It made it more tangled and sort of matte looking.

After clarifying with everything from prell, to Paul Mitchell shampoo 3, to trying a CO wash, this still leaves a waxy build up on my hair. I'm going to try an extra virgin olive oil treatment tomorrow to try to get it out. Lots of people love this stuff, but if you have fine, thin hair, I would advise to proceed with caution. I absolutely hate it for my hair :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2013 10:25:00 PM More reviews by annachristina

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I snagged a jar of whipped Shea butter from my nail tech and I've been massaging it to my feet at night and in the morning before rubbing the excess into my hands.

It melts quickly and doesn't leave a greasy mess. The smell is a bit nutty, but inoffensive. My feet are soft even with working out two hours a day and my nails are less brittle.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/27/2013 9:37:00 PM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

Unrefined shea butter is an awesome moisturizer but it doesn't really do anything besides that, it just hydrates a lot. I bought it because I was told it would be good for my eczema and it did moisturize it but I didn't get rid of it. Its also pretty expensive and the smell is horrendous. I probably wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2013 3:38:00 AM More reviews by Stishy

This is my HG cleanser/moisturiser. I've suffered from oily, acne-prone skin for the past 5-6 years, and nothing has really helped. In the past month or so since I've been using shea butter (organic unrefined) in the oil cleansing method, I've found that my skin is much better; softer, smoother and I now get little (if any) breakouts or spots.

The texture of unrefined shea butter can be a little unnerving at first, as you need to warm it in your hands to apply it. It also has an interesting, slightly nutty scent to it, but this all became insignificant when I discovered how much better my skin was. I will most definitely be purchasing again, especially as it is so cheap!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2013 10:20:00 AM More reviews by grisa12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am addicted to shea butter. I have been using it for the past two years and I cannot imagine being without it. I first got it by an african store locally. It is not that bright yellow color in the picture but it is more of an beige ivory color. If it refined the butter won't have the characteristic smell and it would be white. I use the shea butter right after I finished showering. Before I used straight shea butter but now I add some other oils to give even more skin benefits. I make a whipped butter and apply that to my skin and use it as a lip balm. It keep me soft and supple. People always compliment me on how "rich" my skin looks. Some people to hate the scent but I love it plus it doesn't linger anyways. For those who don't like it they can whip it up with some essentials to hide the smell. I buy mines online at coastal scents

rated 5 of 5 on 5/8/2013 1:27:00 PM More reviews by ladysonoma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! This is great. I bought it for my feet because I was tired of buying brand name over scented shea butters and body butters, like from Victoria's Secret and The Body Shop and Bath and Body Works. I wanted something that works as well as Shea but without all the perfume, so I tried this. I must say this is amazing.

First, for those who want to try cooking with shea butter as an alternative, this stuff doesn't have any taste, and it does "wet" your food. As I read, I tried it on pancakes, bread and made eggs with it and was very pleased.

Next, I scooped out this stuff, which was hard as a brick, but as soon as I set it in the sun, literally within a minute, it got soft and runny! Scooped it up and tested it on my feet and hands, and it was easily absorbed.

Next, I did some research, wondering if I could whip this myself in my kitchen for easier application. While there were a bunch of elaborate and wild recipes online, I wanted to be simple. I put the half pound of shea in the sun a few until it softened; then I scooped into the bowl, and added an 1/8 cup of olive and whipped it until it was like butter. The results were fabulous. It absorbed so easily and my feet feel great. One application of this lasts an entire week; an entire week of soft heels.

Additionally, I have curly hair. I tried it in my hair, both damp and dry, and the results were pretty good. It definitely left a shine to it and softened it. I blow dried and straightened my hair, and the results were alright.

Well, anyway, this was a lot of fun. I will continue buying raw shea and having fun with it. This stuff works so thoroughly that this little half pound will probably last at least 6 months, maybe longer. Although our summers here get pretty hot, so I might go through it much faster.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/13/2013 12:23:00 AM More reviews by PrettyOne21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product works great for removing skin peels/burns (it worked for me overnight, which was so surprising and amazing). It works pretty good when it comes to lightening scars (but doesn't fade them). I don't remember how it works for hair (i think it was passable on my hair). I never tried it for cooking, so i don't know how it tastes with food. It's works ok for removing pimples, (i'm not sure about blackheads), but it's horrible for removing rashes because it just made my face break out in more rashes! For the price, the amount your getting is a pretty good deal. Plus this stuff is hard as dry clay, so you can either put in a really warm room (helps it melt a little), microwave it (but might kill some of the good ingredients in it), or put the container in a pot and fill it with warm/hot water. I sometimes just use it dry like it is (although it requires hard digging with your fingers lol). The smell doesn't bother me, i actually like smells like that (ex: sharpies, whiteouts, gasoline etc..). It's hard for me to find a rating for it because it works great in some areas, and horrible in others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/9/2012 10:01:00 PM More reviews by DuchessofGrapes

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a big fan of making my own products and unrefined shea butter is a key ingredient in so many of my products. During the colder winter months, I use it in replacement of cocoa butter in my homemade moisturizer. And I use it year round in my body moisturizers. My personal recipe is equal parts cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil, sesame oil (avocado in the fall/winter). I melt them in a double boiler until completely liquefied, then let them cool (the mix hardens). Then I whip it up with my hand mixer and it turns into the fluffiest, creamiest body lotion ever. If it's hot out, I'll mix half of the oil mix with aloe vera gel to make a cream-gel that soaks in a bit better. I'll add some witch hazel and lavender essential oil to make a hand cream, and some liquefied aspirin, and tea tree and peppermint essential oil to make a foot cream. I will also melt equal parts shea butter, coconut oil, sweet almond oil and cocoa butter, and let it harden. It's perfect for a post facial balm or for chapped skin. I really love getting a bit box of it from amazon since I use it so much. SO CHEAP! I can buy 5 lbs for the same price as a single 16 oz body lotion. Love it. Glad to see other people love it as much as I do.

27 out of 27 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/20/2012 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Chelley112

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

I have natural 4a hair. Of course this will be one of the first things newly natural people will try because shea butter is said to be the best sealer to make your hair really soft. My hair HATED this. It made my hair sooooo dry. Like my hair was screaming out BREAKAGE when I had this in lol. I always had to wash it out. I have tried it raw, unrefined and refined. I even made shea butter mixes. Nothing. I have even noticed that other products with shea butter in it doesn't work for me. It just shows how some things work for some naturals, and not for others :-)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/16/2012 6:56:00 AM More reviews by irajojo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Got mine yesterday. Tried it last night. Applied a thin layer on my face entirely. I know its too early to post a review on this. But i Had to. Coz this morning, i woke up with not one, but two cystic acne. One above my lip, and the other on the side of my nose. It was huge, and red, and not to mention painful. I know the shea butter was the cause of this. So my nose is obv a no no zone for shea butter. However... other parts of my face seems fine. I woke up with a smoother forehead, and my eye area seem to look more.. plumpier? Like i can feel that its slightly tighter, not saggy. So that's a plus point. I do have past acne scars at my jawline. It didn't broke me out there....yet. But its also too early to tell whether it has helped in the scars. My eyelash seems to be softer. So that's a hint there telling me it might work well for my hair. So if not for the nose-sensitivity part, i would have given 5 lippies. Would i buy it? Too early to tell. But i'll just say yes....for now.
*UPDATE*
Okay, So recently i've tried it on my hair as a leave-on hair cream. Yes. It is sticky at first. I thought it would be a major fail due to its consistency. I didn't try it with any oil. Just pure shea butter, melted with my palms, in its sticky form. BUT. It absorbs super fast. And left my hair So soft and bouncy and adds volume. Yeah, it was hard for me to believe too at first. Something so sticky can do such wonders. My Hair was always rough, and frizzy. But with shea butter, it left my hair softer than it had ever been. Up next, Planning to mix argan oil with shea butter!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No