August 27, 2014 | 984 users online

Cleansers - Garden of Wisdom - Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 7:55:00 AM More reviews by Japanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love oil cleansers in general, and this one is great! The only oil cleanser I like better is plain ol' extra virgin coconut oil.

This removes makeup wonderfully and can be used on the eyes as well. It rinses clean and leaves my skin feeling nicely moisturised. I like to massage this around for a while until I start to feel 'the plugs' coming out.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2013 4:46:00 PM More reviews by Scott77

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Tan, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Two words. Cystic acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2013 10:34:00 PM More reviews by eclair9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Black

This review is for their Sensitive Cleansing Oil.
Ingredients: apricot oil, rice bran oil, sunflower oil, argan oil, hemp seed oil, cromollient SCE

I've considered making my own cleansing oil with an emulsifier, but figured I should try a sample of GoW first. First of all, the packaging is disappointing. I was hoping for a nice pump bottle -- not one with a flip cap. And as another user stated, it's best to use a quarter-sized amount to gently massage onto the face.

Other than that, I think this is a decent cleansing oil. I only use it at night to remove my physical sunscreen+moisturizer... I have yet to try it with makeup though. I've only used it a few times, so I haven't seen ~amazing~ results in terms of smoother texture. However, I just enjoy using it since it's natural and gentle. Oddly, the first two times I used it, my face felt slightly tight after rinsing with water. I haven't experienced that again. I also like how milky it becomes when washing it off. Personally, I think the emulsifier (cromollient SCE) does a good job at removing all the oils.

UPDATE: I ended up using the whole 1 oz bottle after nearly a month. Although I didn't get any miraculous results, I think it was good at removing my sunscreen as well as those awful 'plugs' from my face. I noticed it was good at getting rid of the few blackheads around my nose/cheek area. The best part is I never experienced horrible cystic breakouts because of this product. I won't be repurchasing, though. But I am interested in trying other oils mixed with a bit of polysorbate 20 (or 80) as cleansers.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2011 8:06:00 AM More reviews by mystryder

at first, i was massively disappointed b/c i was expecting to love this. however, the amount you use makes a huge difference. a dime size amount doesn't provide enough emollience and just makes it sink into your skin like a carrier oil (which is really what it's made of). prior to my first GoW order, i'd been mostly using Pur Minerals mineral melt as my main cleanser and i loved it--it has an awesome mix of oils... but it has parabens. so i've regularly used oil cleansers from DHC, Pur Minerals, and GoW now and they all have completely different textures. if it weren't for the parabens, Pur Minerals would still be my favorite (all the different types of great oils for your skin + the awesome lemony scent that *doesn't* come from perfumes!). but if you used a quarter-sized amount of the GoW, it's pretty comparable =) it does just smell like carrier oils, though... which is fine just not as enjoyable. rather than a regular cleanser, though, i feel more comfortable only using the GoW cleansing oil only right before a mask or another cleanser. if i don't follow w/ another cleanser, it's still okay by itself, but i just don't feel as clean as when i use the Pur Minerals melt on it's own.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/26/2011 9:36:00 PM More reviews by pearlr

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using GOW Oil cleanser for a few years now and this is the ONLY cleanser I use to clean my face . I have dry dehydrated skin and no matter how mild the cleanser was , my skin would feel tight after .
Its very easy to use - I rub some oil on hands and rub them on my face gently in a circular motion. Then I take a washcloth , soak it in warm water and put it on my face for a few seconds and rub all the makeup off.All the makeup comes off instantly ! It even takes waterproof mascara off.

Since I started using this cleanser my skin feels soft and not dry /tight anymore.

This is my HG cleanser and I don't bother trying out any other cleansers any more.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2011 5:26:00 PM More reviews by JulesGrey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This oil cleanser on its own is a rather thick thing, that is hard to massage properly into the skin without using a lot. I much prefer a more liquid oil cleanser. To achieve this, I mix it 50/50 with the much thinner one, and the result is a perfect cleansing oil. Just the right consistency to be massaged into the skin (and eye area) easily, gets make-up off like a dream (even waterproof), and it rinses right off with water. Though, I prefer to use a muslin cloth just to be sure.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2011 8:06:00 PM More reviews by storminateacup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really like this. DHC wasn`t doing it for me: it was too thick, too chemically and it stung my eyes (which is never a good sign: it means harsh ingredients). I`ve tried straight Olive Oil, but it brought me out in cystic acne, but this is much better. As other reviewers have said: it`s lighter, it smells nicer, but it DOES get everything off AND rinse. leaves skin soft, although I always follow with a mild cleanser (the cystic olive oil experience scared me off doing straight OCM).

All in all, really like it. best cleansing oil i`ve found.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2011 12:24:00 AM More reviews by milfy

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this cleansing oil. It has a pleasant fragrance and suits my combo skin type. I find it easy to apply with my fingertips and then I massage in circular motions for up to two minutes. It is then easily removed using warm water and a face washer.

I find it works equally well with my mineral or liquid foundations and it is fabulous at removing my eye makeup - even waterproof mascara seems to melt away.

Will definitely be repurchasing this baby!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2010 11:33:00 PM More reviews by Betty24

I really, really wanted to like this product...I had been reading about the OCM method and wanted to get rid of the sebum plugs and blackheads. After a week of using this product, I started getting terrible cystic pimples on my chin and neckline (where I never get blemishes) for three weeks. These have been the worst breakouts of my life and every day I regret trying OCM.

I've had really good experiences with other GoW products (hydrosols moisturizers, mandelic acid, salicylic acid) in the past so I don't think it's an issue of quality control. OCM may give some people miraculous results. However, it doesn't work for everyone and unfortunately, I'm one of those people.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 11/28/2009 9:24:00 AM More reviews by donnagonz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

this is an economical alternative to other common cleansing oils. it is not as heavy as DHC, but also does not rinse off as well. it is more suited to drier skin. the scent is like a typical cooking oil-though not too strong or unpleasant. i asked for, and received, a pump dispenser (it was complimentary!)-you really need one for cleansing oils. if you cover the label with a couple of coats of clear nail polish, it won't peel off and the ink won't run.