TiGi Rockaholic Dry Shampoo

2.9

This was the first dry shampoo I ever purchased. It was on sale for half price, and I figured since it's a high end brand it would be more likely to work.

First off, I don't love the scent. It's an odd citrus/chemical smell that's a little off-putting to be honest. I prefer a more fresh and clean scent. However, once it's on your hair it's not too bad, so no major points deducted for that.

The sprayer was a little weird for me. It sprays in a straight stream, so it's easy to get the stuff too concentrated in one spot. I thought maybe the sprayer was clogged so I cleaned it, but it didn't fix anything. This makes application pretty difficult. I end up with white patches in my hair that won't really brush out, and other parts of my hair will still be oily.

That brings me to my next gripe....you have to apply SO MUCH of this stuff for it to work. I used a full can in a matter of about 6 months, and that's using it maybe once a week. Do the math...if I were to use this every 2 or 3 days, it would have been gone in a jiff. For the price I feel like it should last much longer.

At first, this stuff gives my hair a lot of body, and (after applying a ton of it) it eliminates the oil. However, after about 2 hours I notice that my hair looks limp, weighed down, and dirty once again! I was very disappointed.

I snagged some Batiste dry shampoo a couple months ago, and I'm so glad I did. Compared to the Bed Head stuff, Batiste rocked my socks. The sprayer was better, the oil control was better, it smelled better, it gave my hair a ridiculous amount of body, and there was no build up or residue. I definitely recommend Batiste.

I gave it 3 lippies because technically this stuff works. If I ever find it super cheap again, I might repurchase. But there's better stuff out there for a fraction of the price.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

This is the first dry shampoo I've ever used so to be honest I don't have much to compare it to. Still, I was really surprised when I came on here and read the reviews. On the website of the store I bought this from there are about 150 reviews and most of them are four or five stars.

TiGi Rockaholic Dirty Secret Dry shampoo caught my eye when I went to Ulta to pick up my HG shampoo & conditioner (also by TiGi) and they were having a buy two get one free sale. The price of this dry shampoo is around twenty dollars which is way more than I would normally spend on a product the likes of this (I'd probably aim for a more affordably priced dry shampoo like Batiste.) However, I figured might as well go for it since I'd be getting it free. And since my shampoo and conditioner is outrageously priced I might as well save where I can if I can get away with using a dry shampoo for a day in between washes.

The scent of this to me can only be described as fruity. Others have described it as lemony smelling... I don't get that or any kind of citrus at all. The smell is nice when being sprayed on but doesn't linger in the hair. As for a white cast... I used quite a good amount of this and have dark brown hair and I don't see any white at all. I was sure to work this product through well so maybe that's the trick. Not sure. Also I noticed a bit of added volume, which is a plus. And most importantly, any oiliness in my hair was instantly erased and replaced by clean and healthy looking shine.

I really enjoy this dry shampoo but will not repurchase when I run out for two reasons:
1) the price point is just too high and I'm sure I can find something comparable at a more budget-friendly cost and
2) I recently learned that TiGi was bought out by Unilever in 2009 which means that while they used to not test on animals, they do now (yeah I know I've been living under a rock to just be finding this out six years later.)

on 8/19/2015 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Cool

I did not like this product in the slightest. It left a white residue in my hair and no matter how much I combed it or tried to "blend" it out for a lack of better words, it would not budge! It made my hair feel very stiff where applied like a bad hairspray. The scent wasn't that pleasant but it wasn't terrible either. Overall, it did nothing for my hair and for the price was just awful. I don't know who would purchase or recommend this because it is just that horrible of a product. Not impressed.

on 8/11/2015 1:13:00 AM

Holy. Grail. Hair product!

I've used this on and off for about 4 years now and I keep coming back to it. I've tried almost every drugstore kind and thought they were alright, mostly, until I tried this the first time.

I have pretty average, straight hair. It does get oily at my roots a little fast, but usually takes about 36 hours after a shampoo unless it's really hot and humid. It can get dry on the ends, though, because I color my hair somewhat regularly. (Because of that, I tend to wash my hair about 3 times a week usually, to prolong my color.)

I've used this with black hair, brown hair, red hair, blonde hair, blue hair, pink hair, and a mix of several colors and it worked fantastic on all of them. No white residue like I got from a lot of drugstore dry shampoos. It does FEEL like I have something in my hair, but it's kind of like how a really light touch of hairspray might feel. It isn't stiff or anything, it just feels like there's some kind of product on my hair, if that makes sense. The only time I noticed whiteness was one time when my hair was freshly dyed black and I forgot to brush it after I sprayed this in. After I brushed it, it totally disappeared, though.

This stuff is almost $20(USD), but one can normally lasts me about a year because I don't use it all the time, maybe about 4-6 times a month. I can use this to put off washing my hair for at least another day, sometimes two (from one use) which is crazy. With drugstore dry shampoos, IF they helped with oil at all, I was lucky to get a few hours of help out of them before my hair looked even greasier than before. I was also going through 2-3 cans of drugstore dry shampoos each month, which left me spending more money than I would have if I'd just gone ahead and bought more of this.

It doesn't really add much volume to my hair, but it's definitely better than my hair with no products because my hair is really fine with no natural volume. I kind of wish it did better with volume, but otherwise I absolutely love this stuff.

on 6/21/2015 4:01:00 PM

It is the first dry shampoo I've ever bought so I have nothing to compare it to, however I must say that I am quite sure I will re-purchase it once I run out of it. The result are quite visible on my hair, it smells ok and price is ok for me as I do not regret purchasing rather expensive hair care products as over the years Ive realized it makes quite a difference especially because I dye my hair and straighten it every day.

on 5/17/2015 12:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This was the first non-drugstore dry shampoo I bought. For $20, I was expecting a little more than what I got from Pssst! or Batiste, but I didn't get it. This keeps my hair looking clean for about 2 hours, and doesn't really add any volume. The can runs out quickly, and I find the strong lemony scent pretty nauseating. Pass.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

This smells great, the nozzle works very well, the product doesn't feel heavy, and it gives me a tiny bit of a volume boost.

My hair is long, naturally wavy, black, and has never been dyed. I usually just wear it in my natural waves with drug store mousse (shout out to Herbal Essences Totally Twisted, my favorite since 2007:), drug store non-aerosol hairspray, then I blow dry the front part of my hair to run a straightener through it for more defined curls.

On second day hair, I like to use dry shampoo. I've pretty much tried all of the dry shampoos under $5 available at Target and they are literally all the same, some smell better than others, some have better nozzles. Most of them do a decent job of de-slicking and refreshing the hair initially, but then halfway through the day my hair is left feeling gross and weighted down with product buildup. Also every single dry shampoo leaves a white cast. You have to be really light handed and/or work the product into the hair.

I tried the smaller travel sized version of this product in an effort to find "my" go-to dry shampoo. I was surprisingly pleased with this! It didn't make my hair feel like I had a ton of buildup and it lasted throughout the entire day. There is a white cast, but I've come to accept this fact about dry shampoos. This nozzle gives me a little bit more control so it doesn't come out in a strong burst, but more fluidly like hairspray which does help with the white cast. I'm not one to spend much on hair products, so the fact that I purchased the full size of this says something!

I bought this product last night after my friend's sister raved about it. I have heavily processed (dyed, bleached) hair, that I normally have to wash daily because it gets so greasy.

I LOVE this product. The smell is fantastic, for one. Most dry shampoos that I've used have a weird, baby-powder smell that I am not a fan of. But what's even better is that I sprayed it and massaged it into my roots before going to bed, threw it up in a top-knot, and went to sleep.

I woke up this morning and... Voila! My hair looked like I had just washed it!

The common complaint I've seen about this product is that it leaves a white residue. I've used ashy, powdery dry shampoos, and I assure you this is not one of them. The trick is to shake it well, spray it far enough away from your hair, massage it into your roots, and remember that a little bit goes a LONG way.

Love this. Best dry shampoo I've used to date. Will definitely repurchase.

on 3/12/2015 1:46:00 PM

It's awful! It made my dark hair white and left so much residue in my hair it felt dirtier than before I used it. I had to wash it out straight away, it felt so nasty. I'm really bummed because it costs more than your average hair care product and it just didn't deliver the results I was hoping for.

on 1/27/2015 10:54:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Disappointing to say the least at nearly $20USD a can I would expect better than a subpar product. While this did not leave a white cast in my level 5 brown hair, it didn't absorb much oil or make my hair look any better. Didn't care for the smell either, too citrusy. Performance and scent wise reminds me Tesemme dry shampoo. There are much better dry shampoo options out there, this one is a waste of money.