September 17, 2014 | 2080 users online

Treatments (Face) - Reviva - Brown Spot Skin Lightening Night Cream

rated 1 of 5 on 1/11/2014 8:59:00 AM More reviews by Magdificent

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a review specifically for Reviva Labs Brown Spot Night Gel with Glycolic and Kojic Acid. I wanted to use it to lighten acne scars but instead this left me with more acne!! I applied it at night, and when I woke up in the morning I had a lot of skin peeling, but instead of leaving me with soft skin underneath, it left me with skin that had a very raw look to it. I got these small allergic bumps and breakouts. Use this product with caution.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/14/2012 6:37:00 PM More reviews by hafiza1

If you have oily skin, RUN! I used this product for 3 days and immediately started to break out. The cream is so thick that it clogs my pores considerably! If you have dry skin and are trying to get rid of dark marks, this product may be more suitable for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/14/2011 11:58:00 PM More reviews by CharlotteAmalie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have two brown spots from sun exposure on the right side of my face. After using this for months, I see no difference in the brown spots. The cream feels and smells nice, and doesn't break me out. It just doesn't seem to work on these particular spots. I have some brown spots on the back of my hands, though, and the cream seems to work pretty well on those. They haven't disappeared, but they are less visible.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/18/2010 10:07:00 PM More reviews by cdesouza

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a review of the Reviva Brown Spot Night Gel with Glycolic Acid. I used this product devotedly for 6 months and it did zero to lighten up my brown spots. That's why I'm rating it expensive.

I had some hyper-pigmentation from adult acne that was healing up and also one hormone-related cluster of spots on one cheek and a band of freckles on the other cheek. The gel did nothing until a little over half-way through the tub when it severely irritated the heck out of my skin.

After sleeping with it on my dark spots as I had done for the previous 6 months, I woke up with swollen red (almost like burns) on the areas I'd applied it and also where it had migrated on its own. I gave it a break and then resumed a week later using no other products on my skin. The same inflammation happened and my skin started to flake and peel, but the dark spots remained. I tossed the remainder out.

My best guess is that the active ingredient settled to the bottom of the jar. You might have better luck if you stir up the product prior to use, but for me once burned is twice shy.

In the meantime, I found something much gentler and faster-acting for me that is not even advertised as a spot lightener. It's Boots No. 7 Protect & Perfect Intense Serum. After one use it lightened up my large cluster of spots 50% and continues to fade it. I can't guarantee the same results for you, but it was a lovely surprise for me as it is less than half the price of the Clinique Even Better Skintone corrector and you can find it at Target.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/1/2010 2:02:00 AM More reviews by kalisaen

I went through a small tub of this without any results. I didn't like the packaging because it was unsanitary to dip my fingers in the tub over and over again, and normally I don't care for scent but this stuff was just blah. Would not recommend to anyone.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2010 4:40:00 PM More reviews by ilurvemakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I purchased this, the gel and day lightening cream. I was intrigued after reading about hydroquinone and wanted to give it a shot. I used this mainly on brown spots on my face, acne scars and sunspots. I followed the directions exactly as suggested; 2 weeks for the night cream then 2 weeks for the gel, alternating both products. The day cream with spf was for under makeup during the day.

I used this for a good month. 2 weeks in I noticed the skin around my brown spots lightening up. There was little difference in my brown spots though, if anything they were more noticeable since the skin around it were much lighter. I was consistent with all the products and didn't miss a day/night. The main reason why I had to stop using the Reviva Brown Spot treatment is the acne breakouts I started having with it. Since the treatment contained hydroquinone I was unable to use my acne treatments such as salicylic acid. From my research I read, mixing the 2 would cause more damage than good so I never attempted to find out either. Once I stopped using the Reviva treatments I noticed my skin went back to normal, but my spots were still there. I went back to using Mederma and I got better results without breakouts.

This product line was a waste of time, money and having to recover from the breakouts I endured from using it. I would not recommend this product at all. I had high hopes from reviews here and online that it would be my miracle treatment, but getting more acne resulting to brown scarring, NO THANKS!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/19/2010 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Jiketsu

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This is actually a review for the gel version of the cream formula - "New Brown Spot Night Gel w Glycolic Acid". All I can say is that the Night Gel works wonders for my skin. I've only used it for one month now, but older hyperpigmentation spots around my mouth and cheeks are noticeably fading, and newer acne marks are gone. I apply this nightly targeting only scars, I use this over a Retinol based night serum which seems to help boost results. I notice that the fading process works as such for me: first the scars turn reddish (instead of dark brown), and each passing day they gradually lighten until newer spots are gone after about two weeks or so. However, there was an odd incident with two fresh acne scars I applied this to, at first the spots turned red then noticeably lightened, however for some reason they suddenly darkened and turned into little scab marks on the 7th day - like burns. I freaked out and immediately stopped using this for two following days, yet on the 9th day when I washed my face, the scabs scrubbed off revealing no scars underneath whatsoever. An odd reaction, but thankfully it ended with a positive effect, so I've continued using the gel with no problems since. I'm very satisfied with the results I've seen. PROs 1) it works for me. after one month of use I see noticeable fading, 2) this doesnt break me out, 3) the gel doesnt feel heavy or thick on my oily skin, 4) compared to other scar treatments this is pretty reasonable ($9) - the amount in the jar will last a long time. Now the cons: 1) It's a little sticky at first and takes time to dry completely, 2) once dried it can flake off if you rub your face - so try to remember not to (easier said than done can get tricky while sleeping :-/ ), 3) I'd prefer a tube container rather than an open jar, 4) please be aware of the possible risks of hydroquinone. Overall however, I WILL be buying this again and again, it's like a miracle in a jar. I hope it works as well for others.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2009 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Cinnabuns

I bought this from Ulta to use on two brown spots I have on my chin from acne. I have only been using this for two weeks, but it seems that my spots have already become lighter. Hmm...or is it my imagination and wishful thinking? LOL I will continue to use this and update when I have used it for a month or so.
Update 3/17/10: This is definitely working on the brown spots I have on my face left by my pimples. I've had this jar for nine months and there is still some left since I only use it as a spot treatment and not all over my face.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 11:56:00 PM More reviews by asaksa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I started using this to faded some old acne marks and darker pigment around my mouth in March. This product contains the lightening agent hydroquinone in a natural refined vegetable oil base. It glides on easy. I can see a little improvement to my dark pigmentation and brown spots. I put it on each evening on the face but I can use it on my hands and body. Elbows and knees may be my next areas. They say the fading of the spots will be in 4 weeks or sooner. I have noticed some lighter spots. I scar very easy and heal slowly. Every other night, I apply retin A first (or an acne Murad gel) and this on top. In the day, vitamin C topical and sunscreen. Summer is around the corner so I guess I have to be careful to apply more sunscreen. Update: People say that my skin looks great and I am glowing. This was without any foundation on. I guess this stuff works with patience! Yeh!