October 23, 2014 | 1800 users online

Lip Gloss - Lipstick Queen - Black Shine (Black Tie Optional)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2012 8:41:00 PM More reviews by xjslx

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

LOVEEEEEEEEE. Such a versatile product, have never seen anything like this. As reviewers below described it, it's a slightly pigmented, sheer black lip salve (think Rosebud lip salves). It can be layered over your natural lips, nude lips, pink lips, red lips to give your lip color an extra bit of oomph & shine, while deepening the color of your lips and giving it an extra layer of dimension. That was sort of vague, so here's another example: My red lipstick (Rimmel's Red Alert) is quite gorgeous but, in truth, may be too eye-catching for a relaxed Friday-evening-dinner-n-movies type of occasion if I'm not super dressed up that evening. All I have to do is layer a bit of Black Shine over it, and voila - I now have a slightly toned-down yet sexy red lip with a hint of shine to it. Simply an amazing product, I can't say enough. LOVEEEE.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2009 11:31:00 AM More reviews by empresslilah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This probably gets my vote for coolest product of all time. As other reviewers have noted, it's a mostly sheer black-tinted gloss that has substance but isn't nasty/gooey. The best way to describe the effect that this has on other lipstick colors is that it's like sexy black stockings or lingerie for your lips. The effect is incredible! I'm super pale with non-pigmented lips, and even worn alone it's pretty stunning...sort of a semi-sheer purple-tinged black gloss. Not scary or too gothy. I wore it over NARS Masai to a black-tie event last weekend and it totally pulled my makeup together. It was as essential to the outfit as the clutch, wrap and shoes I was wearing! Excellent product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/15/2009 5:26:00 PM More reviews by grouchie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Beautiful sheer black SHINY gloss! It's sticky, doesn't leave yucky gunk around the inner rim of lips, hair does get caught in it though. It tones down/deepens the color of anything you put this over - looks great over my pigmented lips on its own! My only rant is the lid gets stuck sometimes...oh well, I can live with that as it still opens.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2009 10:12:00 AM More reviews by osd121

I am totally in love with this product. I love dark lips but find that they can look too much especially when I do dark eyes (which is basically everyday). I originally bought the lipstick as the gloss was out of stock and was really disappointed. I was reluctant to buy the gloss but boy am I glad I did. I have naturally pigmented red lips so I usually stay away from glosses and buy lipsticks since they cover up the real colour of my lips. But this gloss gives the most amazing blacky/reddy/brownish tint to the lips. I subtly line my lips with a metallic grey liner and then layer this on top. The result is amazing. Give this a go if you want to try out dark lips especially if you like gothy looks.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2009 10:20:00 AM More reviews by glossedup

*****CLICK 'CONTINUED' FOR PRODUCT PIC AND SWATCHES*****

Lipstick Queen's Black Shine pot ($22USD/$36AUD for 0.494oz/12.5g) is a gorgeous thing. I'm well aware that the black-lip trend is pretty much dead at the moment in the Northern hemisphere, but here in Australia we're just coming into autumn/winter and this gloss is very appropriate.

I find it quite wearable layered over other colours to 'mute' them a little, and slick a very small amount on sometimes if I just want a bit of tint to tone down my lips a little.

It's not the most buildable or opaque of blacks, and can look overapplied and clumpy/gross. It can collect along the inside rim of your lips, also, and has a medium stick factor - it's 'stringy' as you pull it from the pot. That said, it's not so sticky on the lips. The deepest you could get it is probably sheer/medium pigmentation, maybe more if you layered the LQ Black Tie Optional lipstick underneath.

Packaging is lovely, a clear black yo-yo. It's not the most sanitary, but it's the only sort of way you could package this gloss given its texture. No lip brush included but I'll forgive that. Really incredibly generous - fantastic price for the sheer mass of product. I'll never get through mine but I'd rebuy if I ran out.

I am a NC25 in MAC Studio Fix powder; C2 in MAC F&B; 20 in Chanel Teinte Innocence, OC02 in Lunasol Water Cream foundation; 2 in MUFE F&B; Fiji in NARS Balanced; 774 in Shu Uemura Face Architect creme; Real Champagne 04 in PX Real Skin and Level Two in PX Traceless.

Shown layered over NARS Dolce Vita matte lip pencil