Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet

4.5

on 4/30/2015 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This is my MOST FAVORITE DYE OF ALL TIME! I went to a salon a while back (I stopped going because it got too expensive) and he used this on my hair and I was absolutely in love. Compliments left and right everywhere I went. I did a black to violet balayage and it has honestly been my favorite color yet. It stayed in for a really long time (a little over a month, it faded to sort of a sunset color which I also found acceptable) but it does definitely stain. It took me forever to scrub the purple out of my tub after the first shampoo. But it's soooo worth it! As long as you don't care a whole lot about keeping your pillow cases and bathtub pristine, lol. I will be purchasing this to touch up my ends and I highly recommend it to others.

NOTE: I do have a naturally drier hair type and I only wash my hair about 2 times a week, so if you wash your hair daily this will fade faster than the month it took for mine to fade.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

When I did my stand test for the violet, I felt it had too much pink in it so I ended up using a mix of 2parts violet with 1 part blue

I used it to colour a ponytail hair extension that was 22" long - that's 4" shorter than my own hair and it was less than half the thickness - which I'd bleached to a 7/8 colour. The first time I dyed it with the pravana I used an entire tube of violet and half of blue. I left it for an hour. It was a little blotchy so I coloured it again, this time diluting it with conditioner and water and leaving it overnight. It came out a gorgeous, deep, rich royal purple, and super shiny.

However I used nearly 3 whole tubes to get to that colour! So if I was going to do my whole head I would have needed 8 tubes, which works out a little pricey

It is very thick, so my advice is to dilute it with conditioner and water to make it easier to spread, and let is process for as long as you can.

I wouldn't advise using it on anything darker than level 6, as it comes out dark. Level 6 gives a dark purple, level 8 a deep strong purple and level 10 for a bright purple

It does stain like hell, but you can remove the stains with alcohol (if fresh) or bleach (if dry)

on 4/24/2015 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this on ebay. It's a beautiful blue-toned purple color at first, then it actually faded into a slight "pravana wild orchid" color (a little pink/plum hue, how weird is that?) before fading away to blue/silver/grey. My hair never faded back to its original blonde color, which was a little sad. This works better than other dyes I've tried so I'll give it 4 stars, but pre-bleached or unbleached this dye only lasted 2 weeks max on my head if I shampooed regularly (and I do shampoo regularly unlike all those dirty girl on the Café board! *COUGH*COUGH*!)

This is my go to when I want purple hair. For me it really sticks to my hair and I don't have to do nearly as many touch ups as I did when I used Manic Panic, Beyond The Zone etc. The color is gorgeous (see my profile pic). Now the downside... it stains! EVERYTHING ha ha. I have to use Scrubbing Bubbles to get it off my bathtub. It also leaves your pillowcases, towels and your fingers purple. Now I am not stupid. I wear gloves when I dye my hair. I mean after its dyed and has been washed a few times.... you run your fingers through your hair .. your hands and nails turn purple. Which I guess is why this stuff lasts so long in your hair. It's pretty powerful. I am going to try Arctic Fox Purple Rain to see if I can get the same staying power without all the mess. If not I will be back to dealing with the mess as touch ups are a pain.

on 2/4/2014 8:05:00 AM

I tried the violet and the wild orchid. They are very vibrant.Now I have dark violet hair with wild orchid highlights. It is excactly what i wanted.
My natural hair is dark brown. Had been coloured before with differend dyes in dark tones. I did not wanted to bleach them so i used colour B4 to remove the dies. After colour B4 my hair had a light brown-orange tone.
The violet is very dark but in the light the colour is very intense. My hair are soft, shiny and look (and is) so healthy.
The wild orchid is more intense. It came out a fuxhia-red colour which blends very nicely with the violet.
The colour did not take on the roots which was my natural dark brown (almost black) colour, but you can;t really tell the difference from the rest violet hair.
The process, it was very messy and the colour did stain my skin, was a bit hard to remove, but nothing so dissapointing. I will deffinately use these colours again.

on 11/14/2013 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've not purchased this dye. I've only had it applied to my hair professionally. So I can't make a statement about the packaging or price.
But I can talk about the product itself.
I wanted to love it. I really did. The color is stunning and I'm sure it works perfectly for some people.
But I don't love it. Because it fades mercilessly on my hair. I am the type that has to wash my hair daily, as I have quite oily skin/scalp. But I wash with cool water and sulfate-free soap (Dr. Bronner's, which is lovely), and I've not encountered this issue with any other dye.
Within only a couple days, the bleached blond hair underneath shows through in large patches, and the areas where the color remains fade to a dull, silvery lavender which is not flattering against my complexion. The fade is so uneven and patchy that it makes me look as though I have bald patches where my hair is short. Not a good look.
Again, it might just be me. I don't know. But the great experiences I've had with other dyes compared to the utter nightmare that I've encountered with this dye makes me wonder if it might actually be the product.

on 10/2/2013 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

Alright. Originally I bought these because of the rave reviews. I looked up a store that carried them and bought them in Red and Violet. The goal was to mix and make a fuchsia. The color line was a little slim, and they were out of magenta at the store or I would have tried to mix that in too. They were like $8 each I think, which isn't bad for thick color-dye. (Most are runny and in small containers) The metal tube is not only great for storage and practical, it also makes sure that you can get all the product out. The first time, I dyed over dark/lightly bleached hair. I felt it was super dark. I also felt it faded in a regular time, nothing special compared to Adore which I usually use, and its cheaper with more selection. However, I just did it again on bleached hair and the color shows way more, obviously. I diluted it heavily with conditioner each time, which people say makes it last less long, but it's so thick and strong you really can dilute it and have the tube go a loonnng way while still saturating the hair. I used many different brands and colors, but the two Pravanas were the main colors I was using and I still have 3/4 of the red and almost all of the purple tube LEFT. (My hair is waist length, and the color ratio I needed was more red to purple, like 5:1). The color came out gorgeous. I had done a strand test of the same mix in another brand (Adore) right next to the Pravana strand test and at first you couldn't really tell which was which. The Pravana was slightly darker and more saturated, while the other was a little transparent to the blonde. Then after the first wash, the Pravana became jewel toned and the other one was even more washed out. Now I originally bought Pravana because of the lasting power, but was happy with Adore in general especially on bleached hair (which always holds color more). But now I see why people rave about Pravana. If you want bright hair, you will definitely want to dilute the dye or you will get a dark shade until it fades some. If that is what you are going for, then Pravana will deliver. No need to add black or deeper shades. While in the store I thought the swatches were way off (well, they aren't great, a few were kinda funny/off color) but they are shown as very dark, I suppose that's accurate to some degree. I would still suggest checking google and other sites for customer photos to get a better idea of the color in application. I even mixed some of it with other brands and it came out fine. Pravana seems to eat all the other colors that are weaker, so I'm not sure if it's noticeable, but it's doable. My hair doesn't feel damaged in the slightest. I also use Raw deep purple which is another super thick dye but more drying and by far not as pretty as the Pravana Violet. I will definitely buy these again. I still like the range I get from Adore but if you need a standard bright color or want to even use it as a starting point to mix in other brands, you can do so with the Pravana Vivids.

on 9/21/2013 2:08:00 PM

Beautiful color. I find that if you mix a small amount of the vivid lavender with the vivid pink it turns out to be the most gorgeous otherworldly shade of violet. And I've found that if I put the leftover color (if you have leftover, if not, I would buy an extra) in with your conditioner, everytime you wash your hair, it looks vibrant and beautiful, like it has just been done.

I can't rave about this hair color enough. I've been dyeing my hair bright red for many years, and I've tried everything -- Manic Panic, Special Effects, you name it. They all started out red but faded to pink in just a few washes, and I got sick of people asking me about my "pink hair." I wanted hair the color of red velvet cake, and I didn't want to have to redo it every two weeks. I was just about to give up when I found out about Vivids. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say Pravana products changed my life!

I mix red and wild orchid together half and half, and I get exactly the color I want. It stays bright -- and more importantly, it stays RED -- until I have to touch up my roots. I've gone from dyeing every two weeks to every two months. Best of all, Vivids are half the price of Manic Panic! (If you're having trouble finding them, discountbeautycenter dot com has them for $7, and they ship super fast.)

The Color Ensure shampoo and conditioner are also awesome, and they really work to preserve your color. They also smell amazing, like pink grapefruit. The only thing I don't like about them is that the shampoo leaves my hair tangled right after I wash it, but the conditioner fixes that, and I always use a leave-in anyway. But that's another review...

If you have bright hair, just buy this. I promise you won't be sorry!

on 5/13/2013 9:22:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Chromasilk vivds are great and are pretty cheap for the amount of dye you get. The color lasts a long time and is very vibrant. It also really conditions your hair so your hair feels even healthier than before. Its all around great except I think you can only buy it in stores with a cosmetology licence. I always got it from my cousin who works at a beauty school, but you can also buy it online.