October 21, 2014 | 1992 users online

Hair Color - Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in Violet

rated 5 of 5 on 2/4/2014 8:05:00 AM More reviews by Yioula

I tried the violet and the wild orchid. They are very vibrant.Now I have dark violet hair with wild orchid highlights. It is excactly what i wanted.
My natural hair is dark brown. Had been coloured before with differend dyes in dark tones. I did not wanted to bleach them so i used colour B4 to remove the dies. After colour B4 my hair had a light brown-orange tone.
The violet is very dark but in the light the colour is very intense. My hair are soft, shiny and look (and is) so healthy.
The wild orchid is more intense. It came out a fuxhia-red colour which blends very nicely with the violet.
The colour did not take on the roots which was my natural dark brown (almost black) colour, but you can;t really tell the difference from the rest violet hair.
The process, it was very messy and the colour did stain my skin, was a bit hard to remove, but nothing so dissapointing. I will deffinately use these colours again.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2013 3:11:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've not purchased this dye. I've only had it applied to my hair professionally. So I can't make a statement about the packaging or price.
But I can talk about the product itself.
I wanted to love it. I really did. The color is stunning and I'm sure it works perfectly for some people.
But I don't love it. Because it fades mercilessly on my hair. I am the type that has to wash my hair daily, as I have quite oily skin/scalp. But I wash with cool water and sulfate-free soap (Dr. Bronner's, which is lovely), and I've not encountered this issue with any other dye.
Within only a couple days, the bleached blond hair underneath shows through in large patches, and the areas where the color remains fade to a dull, silvery lavender which is not flattering against my complexion. The fade is so uneven and patchy that it makes me look as though I have bald patches where my hair is short. Not a good look.
Again, it might just be me. I don't know. But the great experiences I've had with other dyes compared to the utter nightmare that I've encountered with this dye makes me wonder if it might actually be the product.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 8:13:00 AM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Alright. Originally I bought these because of the rave reviews. I looked up a store that carried them and bought them in Red and Violet. The goal was to mix and make a fuchsia. The color line was a little slim, and they were out of magenta at the store or I would have tried to mix that in too. They were like $8 each I think, which isn't bad for thick color-dye. (Most are runny and in small containers) The metal tube is not only great for storage and practical, it also makes sure that you can get all the product out. The first time, I dyed over dark/lightly bleached hair. I felt it was super dark. I also felt it faded in a regular time, nothing special compared to Adore which I usually use, and its cheaper with more selection. However, I just did it again on bleached hair and the color shows way more, obviously. I diluted it heavily with conditioner each time, which people say makes it last less long, but it's so thick and strong you really can dilute it and have the tube go a loonnng way while still saturating the hair. I used many different brands and colors, but the two Pravanas were the main colors I was using and I still have 3/4 of the red and almost all of the purple tube LEFT. (My hair is waist length, and the color ratio I needed was more red to purple, like 5:1). The color came out gorgeous. I had done a strand test of the same mix in another brand (Adore) right next to the Pravana strand test and at first you couldn't really tell which was which. The Pravana was slightly darker and more saturated, while the other was a little transparent to the blonde. Then after the first wash, the Pravana became jewel toned and the other one was even more washed out. Now I originally bought Pravana because of the lasting power, but was happy with Adore in general especially on bleached hair (which always holds color more). But now I see why people rave about Pravana. If you want bright hair, you will definitely want to dilute the dye or you will get a dark shade until it fades some. If that is what you are going for, then Pravana will deliver. No need to add black or deeper shades. While in the store I thought the swatches were way off (well, they aren't great, a few were kinda funny/off color) but they are shown as very dark, I suppose that's accurate to some degree. I would still suggest checking google and other sites for customer photos to get a better idea of the color in application. I even mixed some of it with other brands and it came out fine. Pravana seems to eat all the other colors that are weaker, so I'm not sure if it's noticeable, but it's doable. My hair doesn't feel damaged in the slightest. I also use Raw deep purple which is another super thick dye but more drying and by far not as pretty as the Pravana Violet. I will definitely buy these again. I still like the range I get from Adore but if you need a standard bright color or want to even use it as a starting point to mix in other brands, you can do so with the Pravana Vivids.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2013 2:08:00 PM More reviews by Wendybyrdm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Beautiful color. I find that if you mix a small amount of the vivid lavender with the vivid pink it turns out to be the most gorgeous otherworldly shade of violet. And I've found that if I put the leftover color (if you have leftover, if not, I would buy an extra) in with your conditioner, everytime you wash your hair, it looks vibrant and beautiful, like it has just been done.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 8:20:00 AM More reviews by CarbonaNotGlue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I can't rave about this hair color enough. I've been dyeing my hair bright red for many years, and I've tried everything -- Manic Panic, Special Effects, you name it. They all started out red but faded to pink in just a few washes, and I got sick of people asking me about my "pink hair." I wanted hair the color of red velvet cake, and I didn't want to have to redo it every two weeks. I was just about to give up when I found out about Vivids. I'm not being hyperbolic when I say Pravana products changed my life!

I mix red and wild orchid together half and half, and I get exactly the color I want. It stays bright -- and more importantly, it stays RED -- until I have to touch up my roots. I've gone from dyeing every two weeks to every two months. Best of all, Vivids are half the price of Manic Panic! (If you're having trouble finding them, discountbeautycenter dot com has them for $7, and they ship super fast.)

The Color Ensure shampoo and conditioner are also awesome, and they really work to preserve your color. They also smell amazing, like pink grapefruit. The only thing I don't like about them is that the shampoo leaves my hair tangled right after I wash it, but the conditioner fixes that, and I always use a leave-in anyway. But that's another review...

If you have bright hair, just buy this. I promise you won't be sorry!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/13/2013 9:22:00 PM More reviews by POPOK1

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Chromasilk vivds are great and are pretty cheap for the amount of dye you get. The color lasts a long time and is very vibrant. It also really conditions your hair so your hair feels even healthier than before. Its all around great except I think you can only buy it in stores with a cosmetology licence. I always got it from my cousin who works at a beauty school, but you can also buy it online.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2012 9:12:00 AM More reviews by ladysonoma

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This purple is amazing! I've been using these guys for years, and after dying, my hair is always super moisturized and shiny - and looks like a million bucks. It's got tons of keratin and it smells so much better than other hair dyes - some of which smell like pesticides. Best, Pravana lasts a long time.

I had been using red vivids a long, long while. I decided to go purple, and while I wanted something extremely bright, I though my red had faded enough. I was wrong. When I put on the purple, it came out extremely dark purple, almost black. But I couldn't be happier. It's a real inky purple black that looks natural but extremely purple once I step into the sun. Like with people auburn or red highlights - they step outside and the colors show, well, mine show up the same way, just purple instead!

It's so much softer than pure black, and I'm gonna keep trying to do it this shade, although I did go back and bleach my bangs, which are long and to the side. Then I reapplied the purple. It's still a dark purple but much more noticeable.

Anyway, love Pravana! I'll be a fan for life!

UPdate: I have to note that as this purple fades, it becomes more brilliant in color. It was dark purple black, and it's been over 4 weeks. I'm now looking at a bright, noticeable purple. Like a grape jolly rancher color. Very noticeable in or out ofthe light. Each wash, it becomes more noticeable. This is great! If it weren't for my new growth - which I plan to touch up, I could go another month without reapplying the Pravana.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2012 11:50:00 PM More reviews by eeemmm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have jet black hair and wanted to add a little color for fun. I bleached bits of my hair and added some purple to my locks. It was a process of trial and error...although gentle, Manic Panic doesn't last! Hot Topic's brand didn't either! Then I came across Pravana's Violet. My perfect color! I wanted a lighter purple, somewhere between purple and lavender so I mixed conditioner into the dye. First off, let me say that a little goes a LONG way. The color comes in a tube, much like toothpaste. I squeezed two pea-sized drops out, mixed with conditioner, and was able to color the chunks on one side of my head. My hair stayed a pretty purple for about three weeks, then faded out to a nice lavender (take a look at the pic I posted). With my dye + conditioner concoction, my hair didn't get dried out or frizzy over time.
I kept coloring for about 6 or 7 months .Now I'm back to all black and I still have about half a tube left! Definitely check this brand out before spending money on other colors. It's long-lasting, provides great coverage, and isn't too harsh. Would buy again if I were to add more color...oh wait, I still have some left!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2011 9:35:00 PM More reviews by menacexofxvanity

lets just say my stylist put this in my hair a little over a month ago and there's still some strands that are still as bright as when I first dyed it. yeah I think I recommend this over manic panic and whatever the hell else is out there. yay for pravanna!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2010 10:51:00 AM More reviews by EffieH

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a review for Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids in SILVER. The review by FunkyMcFresh was the only information I could really find on the 'net about this product -- and I'm really grateful for her review because it helped a LOT! I am 53 years old and recenItly stopped coloring my hair blonde only to discover that it was a beautiful white silver, so I'm letting it grow out, I've been experimenting with toners to try to get it a little more silverish (sort of like Paula Deene's hair color!!) -- so I tried the ChromaSilk SILVER two days ago -- first I tried it on a small piece of white hair and it turned it a very pretty silver after about 8 minutes. So then I put it on my whole head -- the instructions say to use it on dry hair but I used it on damp towel-dried hair. It went on a lot heavier than it had on the test hair, and I set a timer for 5 minutes. However, the more I remembered FunkyMcFresh's warnings about hwo strong it is and how long it takes to wash out, I chickened out and washed it out after about 4 minutes total. I figured I could always do it again for longer if necessary, and their is a LOT of color in the tube so it will last quite a while. OMG -- it was such a dark silver -- I was really very unhappy with the color so I jumped back in the shower and shampooed it thoroughly two times,scubbing it really well - then when I checked again it was a much more acceptable silver and I was really thrilled with the color. It was a very soft silverish and very shiny!!

I shampoo every day and I noticed it was washing out a little faster than I expected, so when I was shampooing with my silver shampoo and conditioner this morning, I added just a little dab of the ChromaSilk to my conditioner and left it in for a couple of minutes. That worked great! It came out a softer silverish but not too dark!! I'll probably just do that every few days or however often I need to keep it shiny and silvery.

I just wanted to add a review here to warn everyone to be VERY cautious using these colors - - they are extremely intense!