July 28, 2014 | 961 users online

Shave Products - Dr. Bronner's - Shaving Soap Gel

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2013 12:39:00 AM More reviews by Peskypixie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My husband has been looking for a new shave cream since Kiss My Face changed their formula a few years ago. He picked this out in Peppermint & Spearmint and used it once to shave his face as normal. Gave him an allergic reaction - quite a bad red, itchy face. No nicks / cuts so must have worked? Good thing he shaved in the evening, would have sucked to go to work like that!

rated 3 of 5 on 3/8/2012 12:14:00 PM More reviews by foryoursmile

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this shave gel in spearmint peppermint and if I were to rate this on smell alone it would totally receive a 5 haha. Seriously though, one becomes used to all the floral, sweet and feminine scents that saturate the shaving product at the market for the most part and this was just refreshingly different. I was unsure how I'd like this but wow..its like the equivalent of that freshly brushed teeth feeling after I shave my legs with this. =p Smells so strongly in the shower but fortunately doesn't last or carry over after rinsing off so it doesn't interfere with any lotions or scents you may apply afterwards.

Ok scent aside I do have a couple bones to pick with this product. One being that for a shower/bath related product the labels simply deteriorated with the utmost ease upon getting wet..as in I would grab for the bottle with wet hands and bits of blue and white sticker would be stuck to them. =/ wth. Yeah you can peel the labels off but I have never had that happen with anything before. Second kind of issue was that it was difficult to squeeze the last bit of product out of the tube, became too much work so I ended up just letting it go, also last quarter of it became simply too water-like in consistency, not sure if it ended up separating a bit or if water leaked in. The gel itself was this unappealing brown goop that just smells and lathered on amazingly. I never once nicked myself while using this gel, it definitely served its purpose.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/23/2011 8:15:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

To our surprise, my husband and I absolutely love this shaving gel. Several years ago I decided that I wasn't fond of the ingredients in the Aveeno Therapeutic Shave Gel, so I started searching for a replacement with more natural ingredients.

The new shaving gel had to meet a long list of criteria:
Fragrance free, because my husband and I have sensitive skin.
Lathering, because we prefer the spreadability of lathering shave products.
Clean-rinsing, because my husband hates shave products that leave a film on his acne-prone skin.
Not razor-dulling, because razor blades have become ridiculously expensive.
And of course, it had to provide a close, smooth shave.

So I started trying a variety of shave products. My husband was not supportive at all, as he does not like his products changed up, and we tried several products that did not fulfill our criteria. Finally, I stumbled upon this product and bought the unscented version despite reading very mixed reviews. When I my husband first tried it, he was skeptical when it came out a brown gel and didn't lather as much as the Aveeno, but as soon as he shaved with it, he fell in love with this Dr. Bronner's Baby Unscented Shaving Soap Gel because it gave him the smoothest, most irritation-free shave he's ever had in his life. And it meets all our other criteria for a shaving gel.

It's not absolutely perfect. The texture is inconsistent--sometimes it's very runny and pours out of the tube, and other times it is so thick that we have to squeeze the tube very hard. And although it has no added scent, it does have a strange sweet scent reminiscent of molasses, brown sugar, and vanilla. But it consistently gives us close shaves without irritation. We even get fewer ingrown hairs. My search for a new shave gel has finally ended.

Ingredients: Organic Sucrose, Organic White Grape Juice, Organic Coconut Oil, Potassium Hydroxide, Organic Olive Oil*, Organic Shikakai Powder, Organic Hemp Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Organic Corn Starch, Citric Acid, Tocopherol. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2011 10:35:00 PM More reviews by naturalbeautycare

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Although this gel is different from other shaving gels I've tried in the past, I've been happy with the switch. I have the lavender-scented gel, and it smells wonderful! I dislike fake-smelling products, and right when you open the container of Dr. Bronner's you can tell that natural scents are used. The gel is a bit runny, so you have to be careful to not squeeze the container too hard. A little goes a long way, and it provides a nice lubrication for the skin so that the razor glides well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2010 4:56:00 PM More reviews by Lynnabeth

I have this in the lavender scent. While the brown color straight out of the tube was unexpected, the product produced a rich lather and pleasant scent. Although the tube is more expensive than your average can of shave gel, I've found it lasts much longer and ends up being a better value.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2010 11:46:00 PM More reviews by sweetcarolinagirl

I have this in the peppermint scent, and I love it! I don't know if they perhaps changed the packaging a little since some of the earlier reviews, but mine had a little silver thing under the cap to control the amount of product that comes out (which is necessary, since it isn't very thick). Sometimes I put the product straight on my legs and sometimes I use my scrubby, but either way, I get a nice light lather (like you would with regular soap) and a smooth, close shave. It works as well as any traditional shaving cream I've used, and like all of Dr. Bronner's products, contains organic, fair trade ingredients minus all of the potentially harmful stuff that's present in so many other products. I also thought it was a really good price for the amount of product. I am so pleased with it that I doubt I'll try other shaving products.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by jrk1857

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This shaving gel has some pros and cons. Ethical company, environmentally friendly ingredients. I love the fragrance of the unscented--it has a very light nutty/almond smell. It provides a good level of slipperiness for shaving, although my husband did not like it on his face.

The big problem is the texture. The product doesn't seem evenly distributed in the tube. One use will be thin and runny, the next will be a big gooey glob. They both shave equally well, but it's hard to predict how hard to squeeze the tube. Massaging the tube before you open it helps some, but not much.

I'm going to try a few more of the natural/organic options after I finish my tube of this. I may come back to it, but I would prefer something with a more even consistency.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2009 1:19:00 PM More reviews by isitfriday

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

huge dissapointment for me. I had high hopes. love all the earth friendly things this has going for it, but the product itself is terrible. I bought this at Whole Foods, in Lavender. the consistency is runny and too thin, as soon as i opened the top in the shower, it started spilling out, without squeezing the tube or anything. and the liquid is a brown color, which i dont care about what color it is, it was just a bit surprising. i did lather some on my legs and got a decent shave, but so much of the product dribbled out all over my shower/tub that i had to wipe it down (because it was brown). the scent does not smell much like lavender to me, which is sad, because i love lavender, it was not a pleasant smell. I would not buy this again, there are other products that are far superior.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 7:11:00 PM More reviews by vintagequeengf1

First of all, yay for being organic and fair trade! I have tried this shaving gel in tea tree and peppermint and I liked both. The consistency is at first off-putting, but you get used to it. The tea tree gel was fairly thick, and a deep, clear brown. It has a strong herbal (tea tree!) fragrance, but didn't seem to last outside the shower. It was easy to smooth on my legs, and I got a close shave. The peppermint was quite a bit more runny, and more difficult to use. I'm not sure if this is specific to the scent, or if I got an odd batch, or water mixed into in the shower or what. Anyway, I didn't like it nearly as much as the tea tree, though it did make my skin tingle nicely. If this is the first non-traditional shaving gel you use, it does take getting used to because it is, like the label says, a GEL not foamy or creamy or anything like that. It is a great product and delivers protection, moisture, and a close shave.