August 21, 2014 | 1638 users online

Sunscreen - Chanel - UV Essentiel Anti-Polution SPF 30+

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2010 10:32:00 PM More reviews by taokie1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have sensitive skin, so I'm careful about the products I buy. I love how this sunscreen is so light and feels like you have nothing on. I haven't had any sort of breakouts and am glad to say a little goes a long way!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/8/2009 12:06:00 PM More reviews by xoxsarahoxo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

i was using japanese sunscreen which has the same texture as this...a light weight milky liquid that is not sticky or greasy but the japanese sunscreen (sofina) clogged my pores so i decided to try this one. i really do like it alot...it's the same as sofina but doesn't clog my pores...i was debating on this or the diorsnow spf...i might try the diorsnow in the winter season because it seems more creamier...as for the price...it was around $50US for 1 oz. so i only use it on my face and use cheaper stuff for my body

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2009 12:30:00 AM More reviews by Lilo1013

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Everything about this sunscreen is exceptional except the price.
Having used Clarin's UV 40 for about a year before this, Essentiel suits my skin much better. Both sunscreens have about the same consistancy, Essentiel might be a bit thinner. This does not leave a white cast on my face, seems like a great primer for my makeup and does not break me out. What is not to like? :) The bottle is so cute and has not leaked for me. Like the Clarins SS, you have to shake the bottle prior to squeezing the product out. I think I had a bit of an allergic reaction to Clarins because my skin would always be kind of red after application. Chanel's does not. If you feel like splurging, I highly recommend trying this out!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2009 6:15:00 PM More reviews by chowder

I had been using the Shiseido SPF 55 Cream, but after months and months of use, I finally realized that it had been the culprit of my breakouts. The Shiseido SS is, as we all know on the MUA boards, super-duper difficult to remove. Even with the oil cleansing method at the end of the day, I'm convinced the some of the SS was still stuck in my pores. Well good news, people! The Chanel SS is not difficult to remove AT ALL! In fact, no more clogged pores, no more cystic breakouts since using this SS!

Like the Shiseido, the Chanel SS also doubles as a mattifier, allowing me to stay pretty much oil-free all day. The Chanel additionally has a much higher percentage of zinc oxide at 19% than the Shiseido, but it surprisingly does not cast a horrid white mask over my face (just remember to rub it in quickly). I find the fragrance of Chanel to be much more pleasant, too; in fact, I love putting on because of the very light floral, almost comforting scent (and trust me, I am usually not a fan of florals). The packaging of the Chanel also blows Shiseido out of the water--very simple, modern, and chic.

Remember to shake before use, and I personally use about a pea sized amount at a time, so that I am able to rub it in quickly. Also note that it's a liquid (not at all like the SS cream, but I've heard similar to the SS lotion).

Okay, now the downside. It's $48 before tax for 1 fl oz! I think that's about 2-3x more expensive than the SS, depending on the formula (cream/lotion). But despite the heart-wrenching price, I will be repurchasing. HG HG HG!!!

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 4/18/2009 1:45:00 AM More reviews by Holyskin

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I may try another skin defender with SPF, but I really like this one. I often wear it alone with Chanel's Hydra-Treatment Lip Care SPF 15. I feel protected from pollution and the sun when I wear the UV Essentiel. I wouldn't say that it's scented, but the smell is surprisingly pleasant. A little goes a long way and feels so light on the skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2009 2:31:00 PM More reviews by just55

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just bought this yesterday. It s brand new here in the states and the Chanel lady had to take it out of the glass display case and box it for me it was the last one! I was at first a little confused as to what this was. I use the Hydramax + Active Moisture Gel Cream which has no SPF so I was worried about not having a sunscreen. I ask the lady what this was and she said that it was a protective bariier for the skin. She said it is beneficial because of course the SPF 30 and it has a bunch of plant extracts that have anti pollution qualities. I just used it this morning and it seems to be alright. This is to be done as the last step of your skincare routine over everything else. It doesn;t really feel oil at all. Of course it's too soon to tell about break-outs, but I highly doubt this wil cause anything. I have read nothing but good things about this product. The packaging is awsome of course and the textire is very, watery/milky, which for me is good, once ive moisturized i dont want more moisture on top of that. it sort of mattifies your skin as well. it is 48 dollars, at Macy's which is weird becuase the site said 60. i like it a lot and i hpe it works well for me in the future. since chanel doesn't really incorporate sunscreens in their products they have created this advanced product to go over the top. second thought NOT OILY at all considering it is SPF 30. would buy again. its a one ounce size, which seems small, but my serum is one ounce and that lasts me three months with day and night use, and of course this ill be using only in the day so it sould last you anywhere from 4 to 6 months.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/15/2009 3:38:00 PM More reviews by semele

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Fabulous matte sunscreen, perfect to wear over Sublimage cream. I wasn't sure how I'd like putting something over my amazing Sublimage, but this SPF 30 is excellent, working to block out UV rays and doubling as a beautiful makeup primer. I have extremely sensitive skin and I love the way this looks and feels; even better because I know it's protecting my skin from harmful age-enhancing sun rays. Yes, it is expensive; however, I only need to use the smallest amount -- about the size of a pea covers my face in a sheer veil. As with everything Chanel, you get what you pay for and it is SO WORTH IT!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/13/2009 7:57:00 PM More reviews by leslieal

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have been test driving this SS for a week now, and I do like it. I will happily continue to use so long as I don't break out. Yes, it is expensive, yes you have to shake it up (is this really a big deal...don't we all do this anyway?) and yes, the bottle is small. Still, you don't need much and I expect this will be the first time ever that I have used an entire bottle of ANY sunscreen. It comes out a white liquidy- solution with a definite slip to it. Kinda reminds me of Origins initial stab at physical sunscreen a few years back...wish I remembered the name, but that stuff was crap and made me pastey...and I am already a fair NC15.

I have tried this with moisturizer underneath, on its own, and with foundation. My SA promised me that it does mattify, and she was RIGHT. Beautifully mattifies, I might add. I have combo skin and am used to needing to touch up my nose a few times each day. Yeah, that is no longer a problem. In fact, I have headed to the lady's room for the usual routine and ended up putting my powder back in my purse untouched. My makeup stays on nicely, too, so yes, it is a wonderful primer. This SS is Chanel through and through:

-Beautiful scent? Check.
-Elegant feel? Check.
-Does it sink in? Yep.
-Cosmetically elegant? Uh-huh.
-Expensive? Yes, it is Chanel.
-Is it worth it? Yes, and I'd get it again.

Hope this review helps. Will update if I break out. Oh - I often have issues with my skin being sensitive. There are very few SS that haven't given me problems, but this one is a keeper. I only use it on my face and have a less expensive option for neck & body.

UPDATE: I didn't break out, but prefer the Hydramax TM because it is easier to reach for when I am in a hurry. I also like the flash of color the TM gives me, although the SPF isn't nearly as nice as this stuff.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2009 10:56:00 AM More reviews by mtvsux

I really like this sunblock, but goodness it's expensive. i'm sure I won't be able to continue to buy it all year, that would be way too expensive. It's a liquid, like Clarin's spf 40 and Shiseido's spf 55 lotion, and it's active ingredients are 19% zinc oxide and 7.5% Octinixate. I understand it has a PPD of 10, and that's really as low as i'll go, so i'm glad they made the cutoff point for me. It goes on easily and feels very pleasant and even though it goes on white it does dry to a clear finish, but if i put a lot on i can still see the white. i'm an nc30. And it WILL seperate, so make sure to shake it. It also dries matte so it makes a *great* makeup primer. So basically, it's really nice, except for the price. Best for oilier skins, can be drying in the winter. The scent is not overwhelming but stronger than the shiseido, it's pretty, i like it, but if you prefer your items to be fairly scent-free, this isn't it. You must use a pea sized amount at least 3 times. So i do a pea sized amount or greater for each cheek, for the forehead and then again for my neck. So that's 4 pea sized amounts for real spf coverage.

I tested the chanel on my hand right next to shiseido's and i didn't see much of a difference. The Shiseido was a tiny bit more slimy at first but they seemed to dry the same. The PPD of the Shiseido is about 8 while the Chanel is about 10. But the price difference is great, the Chanel is $48 an ounce while the shiseido works out to about $11.50 an once. Grrrrrr. Frustrating. People in nyc can buy 2 during BG's $25 off $100 event? That's the only way I can think to shave off some dollars.

Active ingredients: 19% zinc oxide and 7.5% octinoxate.
The rest: cyclopentasiloxane, aqua (water), alcohol denat., isononyl isononanoate, dipropylene glycol, glycerin, neopentyl glycol dicaprate, polymethylsilsequioxane, polymethyl methacrylate, dimethicone, triethoxycaprylylsilane, peg-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, propylene glycol, tocopheryl acetate, butylene glycol, parfum (fragrance), hydrolyszed wheat protein, mannitol, dimethicone/vinyl dimethicone crosspolymer, methyparaben, glycogen, panax ginseng root extract, aesculus hippocastanum (horse chestnut seed extract), tilia cordata wood extract, trimethoxycaprylylsilane, sodium citrate, sodium hyaluronate, chlorphenesin, faex (yeast extract), bht, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, phenoxyethanol, calcium panthothenate, biotin, butylparaben, ehtylparaben, propylparaben, CI 77891 (titanium dioxide)

20 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No