July 25, 2014 | 1045 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Baby Quasar

rated 5 of 5 on 4/3/2014 2:15:00 PM More reviews by jgarvey12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I am super picky about skincare stuff and this is the first review I have ever written because it's the first time I have actually seen a significant difference in my skin bc of a product. PS this is for the BIG red quasar ($800 omg!). To make sure it worked I only used it on half my face, for about three months. I started out every day for a week and then went to once or twice a week. At first I saw no difference, but after a few months I noticed that the side I hadn't been using the quasar on had more prominent marrionete, forehead and crows feet lines, while the other side was much smoother. I bought it at Nordstrom bc its a really big risk for something so expensive and I know if it breaks they will replace it, but this truly works and is (surprisingly) worth every penny!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/9/2013 7:33:00 PM More reviews by blushingpale

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've had this for a few years and used it quite religiously for months at a time, hoping to see a lasting result. Bottom line - not worth the money. I've got rosacea and have done a lot of research, and tried many types of creams, serums, and medical treatments like IPL. I have seen excellent, dramatic results on my own skin with doctor-administered IPL, but sadly I can't afford to shell out a few hundred bucks per treatment so thought I would invest in the BQ.

My impression of the reviews of the BQ (both here and other places online) is that the people who've seen dramatic results are those who've never done much skin care before, and would probably get the same kind of results they get with the BQ by using a decent skin-care regime using inexpensive products.

After almost daily use of the BQ, I never saw any lasting glowing, or tightening, or evened skin tone. No effect on my freckles at all (whereas IPL lightened them considerably in a single treatment).

Yes, the BQ will improve your circulation and has a slightly soothing effect. And it did seem to help heal acne and prevent breakouts-- but not any more than the aspirin masks or raw honey and yogurt masks I do. And you can get the same minimal improvement in skin tone by using a scrub or facial massage which takes 5 minutes versus the 30-40 required by the BQ.

Don't believe me? I've read several reviews from dermatologists saying LED therapy has minimal effect. Here's a quote from a dermatologist on RealSelf, comparing IPL with LED light devices:

"Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a broadband light device that delivers a spectrum of wavelengths that treat red spots (blood vessels), brown spots (sun spots) and sun-damaged skin. Results/effects are usually very obvious.

Gentlewaves is an example of an LED photomodulating device that emits a 590 nm wavelength yellow light at a low level. Some studies suggest that exposure to the LED light can hasten the reduction of redness for example, after treatment with the IPL. Some claim that the LED can treat sun-damaged skin and fine wrinkles.

Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I tend to believe that the LED does little, if anything for sun-damaged skin and fine wrinkles, based on a recent study that concluded there was no objective improvement in photoaging with use of the device. LED light may be beneficial for individuals with rosacea/sensitive skin, but I don't believe there is enough supporting data to make any recommendations in this regard.

Hope this helps. Brian K. Chen MD, San Diego Dermatologist"

rated 4 of 5 on 3/9/2013 4:03:00 AM More reviews by ChickenBear

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought both the red and the blue as a package deal on Amazon. At the time it felt eye-gougingly expensive but I'm mostly glad I did. I don't get around to using the red one that much because I bought both to combat acne....but I can happily give the Baby Blue Quasar an A-/B+ rating.

What's great about this product is that it's not painful or invasive, you can use it every night and it's a topical application.

This is a huge plus because when I bought the Quasar, I was at my wit's end and about to ask my derm for Accutane. To clarify, the Baby Blue Quasar didn't cure me of my cystic acne-there a few other things in my protocol that I would instead credit with that....

BUT

It *is* a very good supplemental treatment if you are dealing with hormonal acne, for the reasons listed above. If you have a big cystic zit and you hold the wand there for like 6 minutes or so, the zit will be much diminished the next day. If you do the same treatment the *next* night, that zit should be gone by morning. So it REALLY does speed up healing time and prevent long term scarring.

But don't expect it to do all the heavy lifting- you'll likely still need need a zit cream or an anti-acne face wash, etc.

I think there is an even better way to use this though: preventatively. I'm too lazy to do it....but if I was more disciplined, I'd use the wand on my acne prone areas a few nights a week, BEFORE I broke out! I'm sure if I did this, my skin would really clear up.

The cons of this are obvious: it's time consuming and bit awkward. Now I just listen to music when I do it.  But if you have really bad cystic acne, with a little patience and elbow grease, this will clear your skin quicker than products alone ever could!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2012 12:20:00 PM More reviews by digby2005

I've been using my baby quasar red (anti-aging) for over a year now. .I use it every other day to every 3rd day. I am 41 and was looking for the miracle cure to fix wrinkles (forehead and the ( ) around my nose/mouth). And shrinking pores, improving skin tone and firming skin all sounded good too. I did buy mine directly from the company, which has a 60 day return policy vs. 30 days like most sellers...

Below is my amazon review I posted after using 1 month....I can say that after using consistently for over a year, I no longer have hyperpigmentation or that "red" look to my face most of the time. For skin tone and clairty alone I am pleased. I also have used botox for the 11 between my brows and it takes much less now...the creases when they come back aren't as severe

Easy to use...yes, it takes bit of time but totally relaxing to use it while watching TV. And I do get a nice "flush" in my skin so it does promise on a "youthful appearance" It lasts until I use it again but we'll see if once I wean down to the 1/week....No chaneg that I'm seeing on wrinkles.

It was drying my skin out. I probably over did it using it for a while every other day. And I did an exfoliating scrub and then used it so my skin get VERY dry and flakey. But I kind of thought that once the dead skin sloughed off my "new" skin should look "fresh". I do have a sun spot on my cheek that isn't really a big deal to me (I'm 40, so old enough to have one, but only one so I wasn't too stressed about it) When the flakey skin sloughed off, the sun spot seemed DARKER. NOT what I was looking for at all.

So at about 30 days aand no earth shattering results on what I wanted fixed, and something that hadn't been a problem now IS a problem, I figured I'd send it back. Turns out the darkening of the sun spot was actually the sun spot dried up. And a day later, when the dried up skin of the sun spot sloughed off...the sun spot is NOTICEABLY smaller and paler. Now, this wasn't what I bought the baby quasar for...but it is still kind of impressive.

I'm going to use it another few weeks before I make the final verdit....But I do think the more aging issues you have, the more dramatic your results are going to be.

UPDATE after 60 Days - Keeping the Baby Quasar. My skin looks fantastic. the sun spot has not returned. My skin color is evened out and has youthful "glow" to it. Still not sure about the shrinking pores, but wrinkles are reduced. My husband (who would have LOVED to say the $400 gadget isn't working) actually agrees it's working.

9 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2012 11:06:00 AM More reviews by richbella

I'm giving this product a high score; it has been effective on my face. I'm delighted with it, incredibly easy to use; I multi-task and do other things while treating. I use it in combination with some solid Skinceutical products I have ( I use a AHA/Ferulic/Phloretin combination) I swear my nasolabial folds are diminished and fine lines around the inner under-eye are diminishing. I get botox treatments on the outer crows. Although I don't treat with the BQ on my upper lip, I do treat around the skin near it and I swear I have a plumper lip. It does stimulate collagen supposedly and my upper lip is definitely prettier and noticeably different. I love the look! I'll do a clinical study and report back to you about the BQ effectiveness. So far it's worth the money.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/2/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by NordsdtromAddicted

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm not actually going to rate the BQ right now, but I DID want to say that I had the same problem with the cord as bleuday.

A couple of years ago, I purchased the BQ from Nordstrom. I used it frequently, and kept it in my dresser drawer on top of all my soft sweaters. I didn't need to wrap the cord around anything as I could have it mostly lengthwise this way. But even still, the device began to short circuit. I'd be waiting for a "beep" for the next location, and it would never come. It took me awhile to realize that it was shorting out.

I returned it to Nordstrom as they were sold out at the time, and I could not exchange. I purchased it again after about a year when it was a bit less during the Anniversary Sale (same time of year I'd purchased it before). I haven't had that problem again yet, but I haven't been using it as often as I was. I think I'm a bit apathetic over it since I had the one before stop working, and I'm 50-50 on keeping it at all.

Just wanted to let you all know. Too bad Palomar was so rude to bleuday. There is NO way they have "never" heard of such a problem. Ridiculous.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/5/2011 10:53:00 PM More reviews by littleladybones

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

BABY BLUE QUASAR REVIEW-
I have level 4 SEVERE adult acne and i bought this product knowing that it is intended for mild to moderate acne and figured it couldnt hurt after trying everything from regular facials, chemical peels, and doctor Rx antibiotics and medications. At first i used this product every other night for the recomended 4 MINUTE sections and had very little result but after afew weeks of not using it i decided to use it a little longer to about 10 minutes a section every night ir when i see a blemish starting and im glad i did. Ive gone from level 4 to level 2 acne in a very short amount of time. If i see a new blemish all i do is concentrate and its less red and healing by the next morning! The trick is "i think" to really move it over in circles and concenctrate on your problem areas a little longer than normal. Im very happy with the product! Its working so well that i know i will be able to microderm all the acne scars off very soon! LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BABY BLUE QUASAR. I only gave this product a 4 because it is pretty tedious sitting around holding this to your face for what can feel like forever but to anyone out there struggling with acne just try to remember its WORTH THE TIME!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2011 2:41:00 PM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

(This review is for the red BQ, with the green "healing" and red "anti-aging" signal lights.)

The product itself is effective; I've been using this in conjunction with the Palovia laser for resurfacing (see my reviews, if interested), and it is the only thing that helps with the redness and swelling while doing that treatment, which for some reason, I am unusually sensitive to.

Now about the BQ. I've been using it for about 2 months. Four weeks on, two weeks off, two weeks on. I've noticed a significant "glow" and overall improvement in skin quality and general resurfacing, over and above the results of the Palovia, and I think it improves overall skin clarity as well as skin texture, over time. I have not noticed any results on lower chin-neck creepiness, as another reviewer mentioned. That review got me quite excited for some improvement in my neck-chin region, but I can't say that I've seen the results that they achieved, which was disappointing.

I have not seen the "hair growth" that another reviewer mentioned, which was a major concern. So that may not be a problem for all people.

I use this product a lot, when I use it. We're talking hours and hours, and when I do have time in the evening that allows me that luxury, I go full throttle, and there does seem to be a significant difference between when I do use it consistently, and when I don't use it. However, that's a great deal of time, though I'm not doing much else.

Here is the main problem with this product, in my experience. The connector cord starts twisting up when I use it, and eventually, it twists up so tight over time that eventually it shorts the connection between the main component and the power cord. I purchased this at Nordies, so there was no problem with an exchange, but I really questioned if simply exchanging the item and getting a new power cord with the same design would solve the problem. I hate returning a 400 dollar item two times ... so I called Palomar and talked with their people.

I was told that by one person that she had heard of this problem, and then connected me to another person. This woman, far less friendly and more of a hard liner, said she had never heard of the problem and asked me if I twisted the power cord around the handle. No. I do not. To their credit, they promptly sent me out a replacement cord, but with an internal memo stating "customer denies wrapping power cord around handle."

Wow. Sounds like I was lying to the police department, "customer denies" suggests that I may be lying .... rather than "customer says," a simple statement of fact. For the cyber record, I DO NOT appreciate being treated like a criminal, especially given the two conflicting reports @ the Palomar office.

I've been working with this new cord for less than a week, and already little kinks are presenting themselves. Same story as before, precisely as I feared. I keep the unit plugged in, no twisting of any kind, rather, the cord seems to twist while it is plugged into the base.

If I don't return this one, I'll update appropriately. Otherwise, assume all of the above holds true, and that I returned the second one as well, though I really, really wanted to keep and love this product, or I wouldn't have given it another shot.

So the 400 dollar question: is it worth it. Bottom line, for the time, the expense, and even with the five year warranty, if the Palomar people are going to treat you like less than a paying customer, I think not, no matter the benefits. When it comes to beauty, I will tolerate a lot, and if this worked as I had hoped, without the cord failure, without the snotty comment, I probably would have been a happy camper. I probably would have been a happy camper with the cord failure, if it didn't come down to Palomar insinuating that I was an idiot who didn't know better than to wrap a power cord around the unit handle, then deny it after the fact. Oy.

I had very, very high expectations for this product. Only a few were met, unfortunately. And Palomar's customer communications need work, although they did offer prompt service.

It does no good to invest in a product of this caliber if you can't use it, even with a five year warranty, if the power cord goes whacky in less than two months.

This is my experience, and I'm delighted for those who have had no issues with the power cord, even if the Palomar folks themselves are a little confused about this issue.

12 out of 16 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 8/17/2011 1:09:00 PM More reviews by 8happyoranges

This is my first time joining a site like this but have just had enough with all these product promises.
Am I the only one that gets sucked into all these beauty and anti ageing products? Surely I cannot be the only one on this earth where none of these products do as they say.
I purchased the red BQ in June after doing my research on brilliant sites such as this one and as with all reviews, was very confused after reading but it seemed that 90% of the reviews were positive.
Excited when I received my BQ I followed the instructions carefully and watched the dvd a few times just to make sure i would be using it correctly.
I have used it regularly since and there has been absolutely no change at all. I even asked my sister who is of darker skin and different texture to start using it after I had it for one month just in case it was just me. She too has no change.
I have today requested a refund but who knows if I will given it.
I bought this product after being sucked in by the Tripollar Stop. Another useless product but I purchased it 8 months ago from Boots and do not think I will get a refund.
I am 45 and people say I look 30 but just like everyone else, can see things in the mirror that others cannot or are too polite to mention!! I hate the nose to mouth sag and beginnings of jowls, although not that bad but thought better to do something about it now then when it gets worse.
The only product I have used and people have commented about my glowing skin is when I wear my Lacome miracle Tient. now that is a good product but of course not as good as advertised!!

6 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/25/2011 11:20:00 AM More reviews by jabritao

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

For the last 6 months I have regularly used the Baby Quasar. I purchased it hoping for it to reduce my adult onset acne and acne rosacea. I was already taking turmeric supplements, which drastically my acne rosacea. The Baby Quasar almost immediately took care of the rest. It does not, however, prevent the cystic acne I get on my chin and along my jawline. It does help to heal the cysts. I use the wand on its highest setting as a spot treatment for acne. I would say that it kills small pimples with one treatment and shortens the lifespan of cystic acne to ~25-33% of what it otherwise would be.

The Baby Quasar was an instrumental tool when I made the switch to natural skincare products. I spent a few months testing which base oils I could or could not use on my face. When an oil or product caused me to breakout, I could rely on the Baby Quasar to move along healing quickly.

I am not sure whether the Baby Quasar helped with Post-inflammatory Hyperpigmentation or not. I think it may have but not all that much. 6 applications of Timeless's Glycolac chemical peel worked wonders for PIH.

Like others, I did not see a reduction in the color of dark spots.

I did not purchase the Baby Quasar to help with wrinkles and fine lines, though I was happy to see if it would. Again like others, I noticed an immediate tightening and plumping effect. With regular use, the results were less noticeable. I use it for wrinkle treatment as recommended for sensitive skin, one cycle on the lowest setting, one on the medium setting. Pre-application of hyaluronic acid makes my skin less likely to become overly dry. I think the wrinkles around my eyes are 60% reduced and the vertical furrow between my eyebrows is 50% reduced. It seems to make the thin skin on my forehead thicker, which has the effect of filling out the horizontal lines there. The major drawback is that the process is very time consuming and that the positive effects seem to diminish without regular use.

Red light therapy is used in sports medicine to heal injuries. I used it on its highest setting on my seriously sprained wrist that was taking a LONG time to heal. With daily 8-12 minute use, my wrist seemed to get better much faster than it was without treatment. I was impressed and credit it with getting me over the hump. I've also used it on cuts to treat current infections or to prevent an infection.

It is easy to tell that the light from the Baby Quasar penetrates deeply. I have some concern about its affect on my eyes. I try to never direct it toward them, but sometimes it happens.

I bought the Baby Quasar on SkinCareRx for less than $330 by using the "MUA20" promotion code mentioned in another review. I found SkinCareRx to have good costumer service and a reliable return policy. Last time I checked, the coupon code still worked.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No