Mayonnaise Hair Mask

4.1

on 5/17/2015 11:34:00 AM

This smells pretty darn unpleasant, but boy oh boy does it do wonders for my hair. I use this maybe once a month, and my hair always feels soooo soft after using it, I can't stop touching it!

This works MUCH better for me than coconut oil masks. Highly recommend giving it a go, especially for the price! Have a bologna and mayo sandwich while you're at it!

on 12/28/2014 11:32:00 AM

I used this mask yesterday. My hair is damaged and overprocessed from going blonde at home. I'm in great need of a strong mask. I usually use coconut or olive oil, but i read good reviews about mayonnaise so i gave it a go. My hair is pixie short and fine but i have lots and i used two tablespoons of regular mayonnaise (remember, it has to be "real" mayonnaise, not sauce, but the brand doesn't matter)
I liked the consistency because it's easy to put in hair (like a very creamy conditioner) and wrapped my hair in plastic. I left it for 30 minutes and used my regular color-care shampoo. Tadaaaa! My hair is soft, manageable, shiny, i'm happy!!! The smell is not super pleasant and your husband/boyfriend might make fun of you (thanks, honey...) but it's worth it.

on 12/22/2014 9:16:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Yes, it does everything mentioned, but I can't stand the smell.

on 12/10/2014 12:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Neutral

I added warm olive oil to my hair as well. I took a whole bunch of mayonnaise in my hand with gloves and slathered it rubbing it into my ends. I did this two times and rubbed the rest in my scalp. I had bleached my hair about 3 times and dyed it black again. I was regulatly straightening it because i could not wear it natural. This treatment saved my hair
It reduced frizz and puffiness and helped redefine my natural waves. I will continue to do this.

on 7/21/2014 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

First off, of course I would repurchase mayo! My favorites on burgers, dogs and cold cuts ;) but I was in the need of a deep conditioner since I still live at home & have no job. I recently used my younger sisters shampoo which is this Panteen stuff that made my hair feel like straw which is not good since my hair is already super thin. After looking up home remedies I came upon this & thought it was perfect since my family always has mayo on hand. I applied this last night to dry hair concentrating on my roots, ends & under my scalp where I break out (which causes so much dryness)! I put my hair in a messy bun & slept on a towel. In the morning I washed twice with my Aussie volumizing shampoo & then conditioned with Brillante Brunette Multi-Tone Revealing Conditioner (which is a light conditioner, not so good for super dry hair but oily scalps can get away with beautifully). After my shower my hair was so easy to comb through without needing to use my Holy Grail must have leave in detanglers. My hair was also super shiny without the use of my Holy Grail Glossing Gel. The smell was a little off putting but I eat mayo enough to be able to handle it. I will forever do this once a week.

on 1/27/2014 7:27:00 AM

My hair was dry, muddy and very dull after semi permanent color was put over permanent hair color & I had a very faint 'band' of different color by the root regrowth covering gray -- not a cute look!
Hair color is Wella Color Charms light brown neutral -- I have medium brown hair.
I slathered store bought mayo all over my hair & let it sit for an hour & washed it out by adding Dawn dish detergent directly to the hair and & throughly coated it before adding water & did several washes & then conditioned w/regular store bought conditioner -- WOW --
it's shiny & so so soft I can't stop touching it & the color looks way better -- now I need to find a better colorist at a salon!

I will be doing this again to hopefully 'lift & fade' more of the permanent color -- way too dark -- I'm going to also try adding baking soda to the Dawn -- man oh man, I hate permanent color over my brown hair that has 24% - 50% gray you get a really unattractive line w/regrowth --

on 1/13/2014 5:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Mayo makes my hair feel so soft and shiny. My hair is dry so it adds a lot of moisture into my hair that lasts longer than most leave in treatments. I use the mayo on damp hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Then I rinse it out with conditioner. It smells pretty bad if you don't wash your hair afterwards. I do this once a week or whenever my hair looks dull.

on 8/22/2013 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I have natural hair (i.e. without coloring or chemical processing) past over the shoulders and getting dry and rough after spending often in the pool in this summer. I read in one of the swim forums about weekly treatment with mayo but when I came back from the pool, I had to shampoo my hair in the shower. I don't want another time to spend mayo treatment. I recently had the point that my hair needed some serious treatment.

So today, I warmed a little bit of coconut oil in the microwave and mix with EVOO and "Real" mayonnaise with a mixer. Then, applied to my dry hair, blew with hair dryer for about 5 min then, covered with shower cap and my silicone swim cap. I noticed that some dripping oil on my neck as I probably added more oil. I spent about an hour on the elliptical trainer while watching a movie, then did some crunches and stretch. It took over 2 hours with the caps on. Then, I shampooed once with Tresemme deep cleansing shampoo, regular conditioner, and rinsed with ACV and water (~1:4 ratio). ACV rinsed off the mayo smell and I think it also cleaned the built ups from the sculpt. The result is amazing, can't describe with enough words! I love to be in the pool but hate to get my hair wet with chlorine. I always wet my hair before entering the pool and usually wore swim cap. I also used deep cleansing shampoo and rinse with ACV but I got dried and rough hair regardless. I need weekly commitment :)

Be careful when you mix oil in your mayo and accidentally sat on the couch or sofa. I had to scrap the sofa from the oil stain.

I have fine hair and letting color grow out. I have 6 inches of new color and the rest of my colored hair is dry, cunchy, coarse, YUCK! I have tried countless products to make it not so crunchy but gave up. Nothing worked! I just figured I would have to put up with crunchy hair till all the color grew out. My new growth in soft and silky. But after some research and experimenting I came up with a recipe that workes in just one treatment!
1) mix 2 tablespoons Helmens with olive oil mayo with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
2) apply to hair from ends to roots.
3) wrap head in plastic wrap (it holds heat better then shower cap).
4) take a blow dryer on high heat an blow dry wrapped head till your scalp feels the heat.
5) leave on at least 20 min.
6) take off plastic, rinse, shampoo, condition.
For the first time in months I can run my fingers through my hair! It's not as crunchy or dry and has a nice natural shine! The worst part is the smell when you take the plastic wrap off....kinda like warm potato salad. But the results are soooooo worth it!

on 5/13/2013 8:50:00 AM

I think every woman has probably heard of the famous mayonnaise hair treatment mask, and before trying it has wondered if it actually works. In my opinion, YES. It absolutley work! Unfortunately, no matter what the circumstances or our hair type, we all suffer from damaged hair at some point or another. The truth is, with the amount of styling products that we use on a daily basis, hair restoration treatments and techniques have become a part of everyday life for us ladies.

Hair treatments in salons can cost upwards of hundreds of dollars per visit, which can really break the bank quickly. Some of the over the counter products (deep conditioning masks, hot oil treatments... just to name a few) can cause more damage than good due to the low quality of the ingredients. So, itís super important that we find a good balance between the super salon expensive and super lame treatments in order to get what we desire and what weíre looking for. Now, This is where the mayonnaise treatment comes in. It is super cheap and quite a miracle worker!

These are the steps I took, from start to finish, here is how to make this work:

Step #1: Purchase some mayonnaise at your local grocery store. It doesnít matter which brand you choose, just as long as it is regular mayonnaise. (No need to get the low-fat stuff because it will only cost you more money, an d itís going in your hair not in your body!)

Step #2: Prep your hair using warm water to get it nice and damp, but not soaking wet.

Step #3: Scoop some mayonnaise out of the jar and start rubbing it through your hair like you would a conditioner. The amount that you are going to use really depends on the length and thickness of your hair. Feel free to lather on the amount that you feel most comfortable with. (Also please note, I absolutley refuse to go anywhere near the mayo with my hands, until i have gloves on. You dont need them- but the smell makes me sick and I cant have it all over my hands- NO WAY! so i wear gloves to keep the smell at bay and off of me!)

Step #4: Wrap your head of hair with a plastic wrap, a plastic bag, or shower cap to trap the heat inside. Heat opens the pores and allows the treatment to penetrate strands further and thus allow it to work better. Durring the first few minutes i like to take my blow dryer on low, and blow some heat on my hair, before covering it. this ensures that everything will work well and we should problems.

Step #5: Let the treatment sit on the hair for at least 20 minutes. You can let it sit longer depending on how damaged your hair already is... sometimes I go 20, other times I go 1-2 hours. depending on how damaged your hair already is.

Step #6: Wash the mayonnaise out. This is most easily done in the shower using a diluted shampoo. You may need to shampoo a few times before you are able to get all of the mayonnaise out. Be sure to use the shampoo gently, not tangling the hair.

Mayonnaise consists of eggs and oil which we know by now can both be used on your hair for SEVERAL reasons! In addition, you can also use olive oil, coconut oil and avacado to use as a mask for the treatment of frizzy hair, unmanageable hair, split ends, dry color treated hair. Try any of these/all of these or mix them to make a mask that works for you. All of them will help fuel your hair and start the healing process of damaged hair due to any one or all factors. All of the ingredients can be used to strengthen your hair, and add an extra protective layer of moisture for those who use a lot of heat (blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron) and those who color your hair- both of which can cause your hair to split, and damage it, making it hard to manage. Depending upon how much damage you have, and what you want your end result to be, will depend upon how often you use this mayonnaise mask. With that being said, you can use it as many times as you'd like, because this mask is free and clear of any and all chemicals and is made only by ingredients that are safe enough for us to eat. You should give it a try, if you have not already. The ONLY thing i dislike about the mayo masks is the smell. I PERSONALLY use olive oil and egg instead of the mayo, because the oil and egg dont smell. the mayo on the other hand, does not come out of your hair for days. Its absolutley disgusting! But to most people, its no bother- so pick one and give it a try... the results are so well worth it!

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products