Smashbox Illuminating Serum

3.8

on 4/30/2012 6:47:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

So I don't really like this product. It's "glow" is unnoticeable with some foundations and completely shiny with others. I've tried patting some on top of my makeup and it streaked my foundation. Also, it accentuates every pore and fine line. By lunch time it's a greasy mess! I could imagine this being a great product for someone with flawless skin who doesn't use foundation. But for me it just sits at the very bottom of my make up bag.

on 10/3/2011 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I LOVE this product! Make sure that you try to get it on allcosmeticswholesale.com though! I was able to get this gem for only $9.99! I use it everyday, not as a primer but just as a highlighter to illuminate my face. I love it, no chunky glitter at all and it adds just a beautiful sheen for an everyday look.

on 9/7/2011 11:25:00 AM

Why shell out all that money for a kit when you can buy from Ebay for $8.99 and free shipping? It is the same size as the one in the kit. Anyway, I really enjoy using this product, it does give a nice glow even with foundation over it.

on 10/24/2010 1:06:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I saw the reviews of this on here and was really hoping it would do a lot to make my skin look better. I was only happy with this one time. I wore it once with mineral makeup and it seemed to make it look more dewy although it did not last any longer while wearing this with it. I tried it with normal cream makeup and then liquid makeup and it looked as if my skin was the same as if I did not use it. This to me was not really a useful product. Great concept, but did not do enough to brighten or make my skin appear any better looking.

on 8/9/2010 9:37:00 AM

This is great for a highlight without leaving any obvious shimmer or glitter on your face. It's a liquid with a nice light consistency that feels nice on my skin when I apply it. I've only used it as a highlighter, but I also think it would be great to mix with a matte foundation to add a little extra glow.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

The product does give a nice glow to the skin at first, but it fades after a few hours (at least it did on me). I have dry sensitive skin so foundations and primers don't usually melt off qiuickly at all. I also didn't like the feeling it gave on my skin...a bit plastic feel and tight

HOWEVER, the really down side is that after 6 months, the product started to smell really bad. I won't be using it anymore and so what a waste of money.

I now use the Becca shimmering skin perfector. It is much more effective and lasts longer on my skin. It's pricey but you get double the amount compared to the smashbox illuminator. It also comes with a pump which I prefer.

on 9/10/2009 8:35:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Other, Medium

I also love this serum and got it in the Masters set from Sephora. I tend to either mix a drop in with my foundation if I'm using liquid, use it as a highlighter with a foundation brush or mix it in with my moisturizer on days I wear no make up. I love the results. I gave it 4 stars because it's only available in the Masters kit as far as I know. Very inconvenient.

on 5/28/2009 2:42:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is great for creating that soft, glowing look. I got this with the Master Class Rescue Beauty kit. They recommend using this before you put on foundation but I like to pat some on after. It gives my skin that awesome dewy effect.

on 3/26/2009 12:44:00 AM

I purchased the Smashbox Master Class Vol 4 kit at Sephora and I am in love with the Illuminating serum. It's hard to find a good serum that actually gives the face glow and actually looks natural. The days I let my skin breathe by not wearing foundation, I apply this to my face after moisturizing, only about a dime size (the tube has a great thin long nozzle that distributes just the right about). Wearing it by itself makes my skin look so radiant. I love this serum because it makes my skin glow from within it seems and wearing it under my powder actually makes my skin look more even toned!!! It beats my Chanel Beaute Intiale serum, which is supposed to make my skin look more radiant.. but it doesn't!

I definately wish Smashbox would sell it individually because it is a great product. A must have and deserves more than 5 lippies.

on 3/10/2009 3:22:00 PM

Inclusion of his product was the ONLY reason I shelled out $65 for a whole Smashbox kit @ Sephora. It’s a rare thing to find a highlighter/illuminator that isn’t chalk full of glitter and shimmer (no matter how finely milled). This product was somehow able to create a “glow” without a speck of visible sparkle. Again, I repeat, GLOW, NOT SHINE OR SHIMMER.

After applying a light dust of loose powder, I add a dab to each side of my cheek and blend. (I’m afraid that applying it before foundation will minimize it’s effect too much) It’s a healthy, dewy glow with little or no color. If my mood permits, I apply a bit of blush but even without it, my skin looks youthful and vibrant. Even in my mid-20s, that isn’t always the case.

If anyone at Smashbox is reading this, for the love of too much shimmer, PLEASE PLEASE sell the Illuminating serum al a carte!