September 2, 2014 | 1556 users online

Moisturizers - Face Reality Skin Care - Hydrating Emulsion

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 10:26:00 AM More reviews by pookiedoll80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin naturally and have been using some treatments recently that made me even oilier. I also have very acne prone skin. Someone on this board recommended I try a water based hydrator. WOW this is my HG moisterizer. I am in love! It gives me the perfect amount of hydration without being heavy or aggravating my skin. Makes my makeup look flawless too! I can't see myself ever returning to regular moisterizers ever again. This is also a great product b/c it can be put over your topicals to prevent drying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/2/2013 12:26:00 PM More reviews by NoirAngelx

A great basic gel-moisturizer for oily and dehydrated skin. I love the fact that it doesn't contain any alcohol, unlike similar gel moisturizers sold by Chanel and other pricey brands. I've always had moisturizer-phobia with my oily skin, but recently it seems to have become quite sensitive and dehydrated on the surface. I apply this after I get out of the shower and my skin is still damp, which helps it sink in quickly. I also like that it is water-based so I can apply my BHA gel after without it affecting how it performs. The glycerin and hyaluronic acid in it leave my skin very smooth. Highly recommend for acne-prones and oily skin!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2013 9:47:00 AM More reviews by Alisuka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Although I don't find this to be "perfect", for my incredibly clog-prone skin, it is the best product I've found to date, hence the five stars. I used to have oilier skin, and never needed a moisturizer, but as I've gotten older and increased my use of RAM and acids, I absolutely must use some form of hydration. This product is the ONLY thing I've found that is a) moisturizing and b) does not clog pores (if applied as below).

I think application technique makes a big difference in your satisfaction with the product--it can be sticky otherwise, and the residue, which I think is due to high glycerin content, can cause some slight bumps (for me at least, but again, my skin clogs with everything).
I read on Dr. Bailey's skin care blog that moisturizer must be applied within 3 minutes of washing the face, and so I make sure to apply right out of the shower, and this really helps with absorption...and prevents stickiness.

Ok, here's my application method:

1. Spritz face with mineral water (I use avene, but don't think it matters too much).
2. Apply antioxidant serum (currently using the Replenix CF with green tea...md formulations also make a nice one).
3. Squirt a small pea-sized amount of the Face Reality hydrating emulsion onto fingertips; mix with same size drop of water, then apply to face. This ensures that the product is not too sticky, I can spread it more easily around on my face, and speeds absorption.

I've found the above method works best for me--obviously the aox serum is optional, but it must be applied before any other products, which is why I apply it first. Hope this helps!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2012 5:53:00 PM More reviews by sassepiano

Face Reality Hydrating Emulsion (FRHE) a great gel based moisturizer. Don't let the way if feels on your face deceive you: it takes a few minutes for it to do its job and after the emulsion dries, your face will feel nice and moisturized. I have been using this for a week and it seems to do fine as a standalone moisturizer for the summer time.

I put this under my acne.org Benzoyl Peroxide (BP). This stuff makes putting on BP bearable. I used to wash my face, then put BP on and wait for BP to dry. My face felt like a raisin until I put jojoba oil on. The BP dryness issue goes away because I can put FRHE before I put BP on.

I just got another bottle for the gym bag. You can get FRHE off their website or you can get it at artofskincare.com to save on shipping costs.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 11:45:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

FINALLY!!! A moisturizer that doesn't irritate, break out or clog my skin up!!! It provides the perfect amount of moisture (I only use a pea size amount for my entire face and neck) and makes my skin feel healthy and clean. The price is pretty steep (around $23 for only 2 Oz), but you use so little, I can see this lasting for 3-4 months. The only thing I dislike about this product is the packaging. It comes in a cheap, plastic bottle with a push up cap. It's hard to get the right amount of product out and it's impossible to see how much is left. Other than that, it's perfect! Will update if needed!
UPDATE 9/11/12
After using for a while, my skin started getting very dry, irritated and I developed these tiny, itchy, crusty bumps all over my skin. It looked like an allergic reaction. After going over some of my previous reviews, I've come to the conclusion that I must be allergic to glycerin. That's a shame, since it's in SO many products! I'm very disappointed. =(

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2012 1:55:00 AM More reviews by sandrabati

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have really mixed feeling about this product. It is good in that there is nothing in it that will clog pores. It is somewhat hydrating, but also quite sticky. I only use this because it is one of the only products ever that lets my skin tolerate serious acne medications, especially benzoyl peroxide. If I was not using very strong acne medications, I would not use this product at all. For hydration something like Skinceuticals B5 (or any hyaluronic serum) is much better. Also I think the price is a tiny bit high for what it is as in the case, in my opinion, for most Face Reality products. They are very good products, some even excellent, but the price tends to be high for the simple ingredients.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/28/2011 5:46:00 PM More reviews by Plagueofhamsters

I bought this thanks to the recommendation of the lovely barbiH, who's amazing if you haven't read her reviews on here or seen her on the boards. I've got super oily, acne-prone skin that can get a few dry spots if I don't moisturize thanks to RAM and the Lactic Acid peels I do. This is the first moisturizer I've ever used that doesn't seem to affect my skin is any way other than moisture. I FREAKING LOVE THIS STUFF. I purchased two when I originally wanted to give this a shot just because I didn't want to reorder not long after the first since shipping is $5 in the US, so, at $22 each plus shipping, I paid $49 for 4oz, which in my eyes is totally worth it for this product. My ONLY complaint about this product is I've been using it twice daily for a little over a month now and it does seem to be going very quickly, but overall, I'm willing to look past that since it's such an awesome product. If you've got oily, acne-prone skin that's sensitive to silicones and oil like me, give this a shot.

I also recommend ordering from artofskincare, where there is free shipping on all orders (At least in the US)

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2010 9:01:00 AM More reviews by MegE

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

***UPDATE 1/2013*** I'm still using and loving this gel moisturizer. I'm also happy to report that it now comes in a tube, which I prefer. Highly recommend!

***ORIGINAL REVIEW***
The BEST gel moisturizer out there! I've been a fan of gel moisturizers for my oily skin since my teenage years and I've tried a lot of them. I like gels because they are aimed at acne-prone skin that needs moisture without the heaviness of a lotion or cream product. Unfortunately, many did in fact clog or worse, sting my sensitive skin! Prior to FR Hydrating Emulsion (HE), Clinique's Moisture Surge (MS) had been my go-to gel. My concerns over MS was the long list of ingredients (higher chance of irritating) and that it was in a tub rather than a pump bottle (not sanitary). The HE comes in a bottle with a squeeze top cap. It has a very gel-like feel/texture and you only need the smallest amount since it's very hydrating. The HE absorbs nicely (not super fast) without a greasy/heavy feel. It doesn't irritate or break me out at all thanks to it's minimal list of effective, non-comedogenic ingredients. Works perfectly under makeup for day and over acne meds for night. You can even pat some on over makeup if you have a dry patch. Anytime! My skin is sensitive/acne-prone/PD-prone and I've had ZERO problems. My skin just adores it! This summer I haven't been wearing it too often since I just haven't needed it since my skin has been in-balance with the FR Sensitive Skin Cleansing Gel and Salicylic Antiseptic Toner. Recently, though, I re-introduced it since I began using BenzaClin again which can dry my skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/17/2010 11:58:00 AM More reviews by Electralight

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Tried just about every moisturizer out there and everyone of them either clogged or broke me out. This wonderful product does not. I've been using this for close to a year and find it to be very light and moisturizes just enough. I'm a lifelong convert. Miracle in a bottle and HG status. Super product for acne prones

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/25/2010 3:22:00 PM More reviews by sblee

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been moisturizer-phobic my whole life. Anyone who has very oily skin knows what I mean. Traditional moisturizers usually leave my face ultra greasy and tend to clog my pores. At 28 I now have oily skin that easily transitions to combination due to retin-a .025% gel use and a course of accutane. I still have more facial oil than most people and have tried so many moisturizers to find that ever elusive "balance". I had used Cetaphil lotion on and off for years because it didn't cause huge problems but I have recently 100% confirmed that it does in fact clog my pores (I'm guessing from the macadamia oil).

That said- this gel- like emulsion from Face Reality is perfect for my skin. I apply after toner or right after I cleanse- mostly to my dry areas (sides of face, forehead, bridge of nose) and a bit on my t-zone. I then apply whatever actives (bp or glycolic) I'm using for the day. My skin has been very dry and irritated recently and I just started using Complex 15 over this emulsion. Results so far have been great- redness has been reduced and skin is not as tight. I'm still on my first bottle but I definitley think I will repurchase this simple yet effective moisturizer.