Maybelline Line Express Eyeliner

on 8/18/2015 7:47:00 PM

I hadn't used Maybelline eyeliner in years, but I desperately needed a grey liner recently and decided to pick up this one in Charcoal Grey. I honestly didn't expect much because so many drugstore liners have let me down, but I like this one.

It isn't too hard like some drugstore kinds can be, so it glides on pretty smooth. It does sometimes leave little bits of liner, but that's only been a problem maybe twice for me when it was really hot and the liner was almost melting.

I like the little smudger on this liner, which is a huge deal because I usually hate them for being too stiff or too squishy. This one is just about perfect.

The pigmentation shocked me because I'm used to drugstore liners needed a few swipes for good color. It also seems to last pretty well on my oily eye area. I do need to touch up when it's really hot and humid, but usually only after 5 or 6 hours.

Overall, I'm really pleased with this liner and I'll probably buy more shades.

-Good pigmentation
-Not too pricey
-Nice smudger
-Goes on smooth
-Stays on well
-Soft and kind of creamy texture
-Doesn't smudge more than you want it to (unless you rub your eyes or something)

-Sometimes need touched up
-Doesn't sharpen as smoothly as higher end (but is better than some other drugstore liners)
-Needs sharpening a bit more frequently than my higher end liners

on 3/6/2015 8:26:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I'm really satisfied with this product. I picked it up at Target for around $2, in the bronze shade. The colour really makes my dark brown eyes pop. It glides on smooth and is long lasting. I am not really impressed with the smudging device though. It just doesn't really seem to work! I don't mind, this eyeliner looks amazing without smudging. I recommend you give it a shot for the price, you've got nothing to loose.

on 6/8/2014 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Having seen the overall rating for this product on MUA, I think I have the honour of being the only person who's batting hard for Maybelline's Line Express. I love the brownish black shade so much I'm onto my third pencil. Something that's never ever happened to me.

- price, seriously it's less than $9 AUD full price
- brownish black is perfect for me to use everyday at work, not as harsh as black but a bit more striking than browner shades
- blends impressively for the price point
- excellent colour pay off
- soft texture
- decent smudge tip at the other end of the pencil.

- does smudge and fade at the end of the day
- you do get through the pencils quickly as they need a good sharpen every third use.

All in all, I'm really happy with this product from Maybelline. I've been a long time fan of their mascaras and it's nice to see the drug store price point being represented by high performance products like this.

on 12/4/2013 9:21:00 PM

I absolutely adore this eyeliner, it has a creamy smooth texture unlike other kohl liners I've used so its so easy to apply and doesn't tug at your lids. It gives a lovely finish and I would definitely consider this eyeliner one of the best drug store kohl liners I've ever used.

Really nice colour range and goes on your face sooo smoothly that you hardly have to press. However it is super super smudgey. Do not combine with alcohol or you will become a hot eyelinery mess

on 3/22/2013 11:15:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried this product in black. It glides on well BUT it ran under my eyes within an hour or two and made me look like I had undereye circles. I could not remove it easily without a makeup remover. I did not like the product and would not recommend.

I have this eyeliner in blackened sapphire, which is a dark blue. The color is so gorgeous!! The liner is really great. It is the kind you sharpen and comes with a smudger on the opposite end. The smudger is really useful to get a smokey eye look with the eye liner. I love this stuff. It glides on easily and stays, plus it's pretty cheap. YAY.

on 2/12/2013 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I usually like Maybelline products but this was a disappointment for me. I bought this in Ebony Black and although the colour was awesome, halfway through the day I realized that I was sporting black smudges under both eyes. The pencil comes with a smudge stick on the opposite end but I didn't like the feel of the rough sponge on my sensitive lids, nor did I understand why it was there in the first place, considering this liner seemed to smudge itself. What can I say, I just didn't like it at all!

on 1/15/2013 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I bought these on a whim because I had lost all of my eyeliners on a trip. I bought them in brownish black and ebony black. I was pleasantly surprised :) the black eyeliner itself is really easy to work with and is that perfect creaminess so it dries down and doesn't move. I usually used the black as an upper water liner (tightliner) and it stayed decently well. The brown I used on the lower lash line, and I had no problems with it. It was a little stiffer than the black, but it works fine for the price. The only problem I have was that it only took about 2-3 months to use up the black, which I consider fast on my standards, even though I used it everyday. However, it is so cheap that to me, it doesn't matter too much :) I will most likely repurchase the black liner when I use up my other ones.

on 8/17/2012 8:06:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse

I've never really found an eyeliner I've loved yet this is the closest yet. Either the colour isn't right, it doesn't stay on, it smudges or is just plain hard to apply.

As I've become older I find the colours I used wear are too dark for me.

I purchased the brownish/black in this brand which gives me a softer more natural look.

It has eyeliner one end & a sponge applicator the other which helps with blending making the look even more natural.

The cost is reasonable & until I find something better, I will continue to purchase this one.

Edit - After purchasing the Urban Decay Grind House sharpener, this eyeliner is even better. After applying my liner to the lower lashes & blending it with the sponge applicator, I then use the applicator to add a little colour to my eyebrows. I'm happy with this product & want to try other colours.