July 26, 2014 | 1581 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Generic Value Products-GVP 1'' Hair Straightener

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2012 1:06:00 AM More reviews by Tresha

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have replaced my Sedu flatiron every year for nine years, and got tired of spending big dollars, so I did some research and with a recommendation by a friend got this iron. I have to say for price...I really like this flatiron. It's a great value for the price. I like that I still have a little volume in my hair. I have very thick curly hair, and this does a nice job straightening. The plates are not as smooth as the Sedu iron, but I make sure to use adequate serum to protect my hair and help this iron slide through. I got this on sale for $49.99 at Sallys with two free GVP hair products of my choice. I highly recommend this if you don't want to spend too much on a flatiron. This gets super hot fast, and I love that it is so light weight. I can also get very close to my scalp without getting burned. I have it in pink. I am very happy with this flatiron. The Sedu works better at straightening for sure, but this is a nice change for me. I'm sure I will end up going back to a more highend flatiron when I feel like splurging and want stick straight hair in one swipe with 0 frizz. Update: Missing my Sedu because it really does a better job of straightening and hair looks straight morning until night and no frizz. With this iron my hair doesn't stay flawless until days end. Still a great value and a good backup flatiron, but not my holygrail flatiron.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/5/2012 10:04:00 PM More reviews by spartapantiz

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this straightener, it is better than or just as good as a chi! Its a lot cheaper too. My hair is naturally fine though and has a very slight wave in it and this product always does a perfect job straightening it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by ChristinaMarieT

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My boyfriend got me this straightener for Christmas, and at the time he bought it, it was on sale for about $50. It says it's comparable to a CHI, but since I've never owned one, I can't vouch for the authenticity in that.

The one I received is a metallic pink ceramic flat iron. The color is pink pastel, which is definitely word for word, but it includes glitter in it. It's very feminine and cute. It's sleek and light weight, which is a great improvement for me, since my last straightener was huge and bulky (it was a Remmington Wet 2 Straight straightener). It claims to eliminate frizz and create shiny, silky hair, and for the most part, this is true. It doesn't eliminate all frizz, but it does a good job at getting most of it. My hair is definitely shiny after using it. It's not exactly silky in texture, but it is softened. It has a curved plate designed to curl, straighten and flip. I wouldn't know how good it is for curling because I mainly use it just for straightening. What I love about how it straightens is that it manages to get my hair straight without leaving it flat. My last straightener killed the bits of volume I had in my hair (which isn't much to begin with because I have fine hair) and made my hair flat and pin-straight. With this GVP one from Sally's Beauty, I retain volume with straight hair. It has a 9 ft 360 swivel cord, which is really great. It has an adjustable temperature from 140F to 450F. Honestly, this is a great straightener, it's worth its price, and does most of what it claims to do.

The only cons I can find are really small things. I find it a bit too slow to heat up, but that is more likely due to me being picky and wanting something as quick as fast food service, lol. And like I've previously mentioned, the fact that it only eliminates most frizz, and not all. Otherwise, there is practically nothing wrong with this straightener. I absolutely love it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/9/2012 7:05:00 PM More reviews by Musique4DaSoul

(The only reason I will not buy this again is because it did not work for me the same way that it worked for some of my friends with different hair types)

Keep in mind this flat iron does have a swivel chord 8ft chord which is a plus.
AND you can adjust the heat settings.

I saw this at Sally's and it really caught my eye because I was in need of a new flat iron.
This item has REALLY GOOD ratings on the Sally's Beauty website.

Depending on your hair type, it MIGHT compare to a CHI....

However, consider that these plates are not completely smooth, they are a little gritty.

It works better when I use serums because my hair is course. Works well.

The first time I used this, I was some what disappointed, but if you use the right serums, and heat protectants for your hair type you could make it work quite well

If your hair is say.. Naturally straight, and fine, then this flat iron might work as well as a brand name flat iron.

But, in my opinion and from my experience, if you have naturally course dry hair like me, it doesn't quite compare.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 12:24:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

I have tried a lot of flat irons, from Conair to Solia. I have also owned a CHI for several years now. My CHI is 2 inches and make my hair pin straight, which is not necessarily what I want to achieve at times. So I bought this to compare with my CHI and how good it is to my hair. Honestly, this is a much better product than CHI. I do not use the 420 degree temp althought my hair is pretty stuborn. I use it at 306 degrees and with one swipe, my hair is silky smooth: no curls, waive or frizz. By tilting my hand, my hair gets body and shine. I use this along with Paul Mitchell Straight works. I wash my hair twice a week. I dry my hair completely and then go over the small sections with this iron. The styling time is within 15 minutes. Retouching my hair takes seconds. My hair has a tendency to break but it does not with this iron. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/23/2011 3:41:00 AM More reviews by gibby23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is my second time buying this flat iron since I broke mines on accident and didn't even have it for a month and I broke it.. Any who so now I got to really give it a try and I must say I LOVE it! It does the job for sure straight shiny hair etc, so many different colors to choose from! It sure does cuts the time of flat ironing my hair then before! I likey! :))

rated 5 of 5 on 1/16/2011 8:31:00 PM More reviews by espri

I love this straightener. I have pretty wavy/curly hair and this straightens my hair and smooths the cuticle so there's no frizz. I straighten my long-ish bangs every day, but only straighten all of my hair on occasion. In either case it works really well!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/5/2010 1:22:00 PM More reviews by meowberrypoptarts

I bought this product, even after reading mixed reviews, hoping that the actual product would prove them wrong. I paid about 60/70 dollars(i don't remember EXACTLY) for this product from a local Sally's store. A week later I returned the product extremely dissatisfied. My former 25 dollar straightener was a better deal than this one. My first problem is that the product snagged my hair. I assume this happens with most straighteners every once in a while, but it happened VERY often with this straightener. My hair would get caught in the plates and pulled out which is not a very fun experience and is damaging to hair. Second I wouldn't say that the straightening ability is all that great. It took me way longer to straighten my hair with this straightener than with any other. Another thing that scared me about this product is that when i took it out of the packaging there was a tag on it that said to wash your hands after use because the product contains LEAD. Not surprisingly this shocked me, that a company(especially in the U.S.) would knowingly distribute a product that you would have to wash your hands after because it contained lead. It also had another tag claiming the product could burn eyes. Very scary to say the least. I returned this product and got a different cheaper straightener from Target that I absolutely LOVE. It's the Conair Infiniti and it comes in cute colors too, the difference is there aren't reveiws saying that the color from the straightener will come off on your hands and hair like i have read for the GVP compare to CHI product. Do yourself a favor and do not buy this product, I would seriously recommend not doing so.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/29/2010 8:42:00 PM More reviews by mingaling88

So my 2 month old CHI flat iron decided to die on me this morning..not really sure why, but it seems like the CHI has a reputation for randomly dying on its users. So I decided to purchase the GVP (limited heart-breaker tattoo version) today. I've used it once already and I am pleased with the results. Mind you, I am asian and my hair is pretty straight...but the GVP makes it PIN straight. I can't wait to see how it curls my hair!

In my opinion the GVP is not as great as the CHI. My CHI glided through my hair so smoothly, the GVP glides nicely through my hair as well but not as well as my CHI did. But at the sale price of $80 at my local Sally store it is a far better deal than the $179 dollar CHI that I bought at a local salon!! I bet the GVP will last more than 2 months too.....

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2010 4:18:00 PM More reviews by bluestar21

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this after using a bulky, very cheap straightener for years. This one is so sleek and easy to handle in comparison. I bought this with Beyond the Zone - Turn up the Heat spray and it leaves my hair very soft, shiny, and straight. It also leaves the ends of my hair looking nice. The cord on this is super long too. My complaints about this is that sometimes hairs will get stuck in the plate and you end up yanking out a few hairs. Also, it is annoying that you can't tell exactly what temperature it is or when it is done heating up. I hope to use this straightener for years, I really like it!