April 18, 2014 | 1013 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Givenchy - Mister Mat

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2014 10:25:00 AM More reviews by Kimboxx

Decent primer. When just applied my skin feels sooooo soft and my foundation glides on very smooth. I think this primer definately keeps me mat longer, and it doesn't break me out.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2013 12:20:00 AM More reviews by papierflora

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I got this primer for around SGD$50 at Sephora during a Givenchy event in November. I felt really pressure into buying this. I advise all to check any makeup you have tried on at any department store or specialty store under sunlight. Do NOT be fooled by the lighting in-store, or be pressured into buying a product even when it looks bad because the makeup artist told you that it would look that way under certain lights. To think I was sucked into buying this when the makeup artist told me that my makeup was meant to look cakey because only in that way, it would show up under the harsh camera lights during the photoshoot! Stupid, stupid me. Despite that experience, I had used this product for a week and I am ready to share my thoughts on it.

Pros:
-> Mister Mat has a lovely, velvety texture.
-> It does not clog my extremely sensitive skin (i.e. acne-prone - my skin reacts to quite a number of products and I have to be careful even if they are labelled as 'non-acnegenic' or 'non-comedogenic').
-> Gives a soft-focus effect when used alone.
-> Could be used for touch-ups after blotting the face. However, pat minute amounts of it into the areas of the visage where sebum production is more active. Do not rub it into your skin.

Cons:
-> I *think* it does help to keep my face feeling matte for longer although it could be an unconscious pyschological attempt to convince myself that I'm not wasting money on a $50 primer. I'm not too sure. Because of my uncertainty, I'm not convinced enough to want to purchase this product again and work around its cons.
-> It balls up very easily if I rub it in too much. It balls up almost *too* easily, I would say. I have to be careful to *smooth* it into my skin in a downward motion. It takes up quite a bit of time in the morning!
-> Foundation does *NOT* go over smoothly. I have tried it with Givenchy Eclat Matissime Foundation and Lancome Mat Miracle. I could only pat those products into my skin with my fingers. I could not blend and spread the foundation easily! The end result was unnatural and looked cakey, and I am the kind of person who is always very careful about using just enough foundation, and hate to go OTT on base makeup. I had to wash the makeup off and redo it again. That was the last straw, and the deal-breaker for me.

How I have decided to work with it:
Sigh. This product was such a waste of money. However, I will use it up because at the very least, Mister Mat does not clog my pores. Prior to applying it, I would spray some M.A.C. Fix+ onto my face for a little bit of hydration and pat it in -- it will also help the primer to blend in better. After that, I will skip liquid foundation and go straight to conceal any imperfections with M.A.C. Studio Finish Concealer in NC20. I would finish off the look with either M.A.C. Blot Powder in 'Light' or Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Powder Quartet in 'Delicate Beige'. I would not use a compact foundation as the final step as I fear a repeat of an unnatural everyday look.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/18/2012 9:18:00 PM More reviews by higgsj17

Mister Matt did nothing for my oily skin. I feel like it made me feel like a oil slick :( and it did not control oil or make me look Matt thre out the day. Would not waste my money buy purchasing again

rated 1 of 5 on 10/19/2011 7:41:00 PM More reviews by cosmic007

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I received a sample of this from a Sephora, MA, and I did absolutely nothing for my oily skin. I applied this after letting my mouisurizer soak in, and prior to applying foundation. I actually made my makeup slide off by mid-day.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2009 6:27:00 PM More reviews by maldiveslover

I bought this because I can't stand an oily T-zone and absolutely hate doing touch ups during the day. After I apply this my face feels so smooth almost like a baby's but! I also like it because the foundation sits really well on it and it also closes my pores which is a big plus. I use it everyday so yea I would definitely repurchase this.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/23/2009 2:01:00 PM More reviews by BeautyTakesTheCake

Received a sample of this at Sephora but was not wowed by it at all. The silicone texture feels heavy when applied felt like I was plastering it on - 2 lippie deduction. It did not glide on as easy as the Body Shop's Vitamin C Skin Boost which I've been using as a primer. Also it made me oily in somewhere between 3-4 hours so another lippie deducted.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/6/2009 4:37:00 PM More reviews by izzit

My main drawbacks about this product is that it was quite pricey- 18 for a tiny tube, and I feel it has lost its effectiveness as I have used it more. At first it was superrr effective in keeping my tzone oil free for the whole day, but now I need to keep blotting sheets with me. I think this may just be because my skin is becoming immune to the product. Many reviewers have said that it makes their skin become even more oily, however as I have found, the trick is definitely to use the minimal amount otherwise you really will look like an oil slick! The only reason why I wouldn't repurchase this is because my skin is becoming use to it, and therefore the product is becoming less effective. Apart from that, I do think it does its job in keeping your face matte.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2009 11:27:00 AM More reviews by Blondie4445

Love it Love it Love it!!!! this stuff makes my skin feel so soft, Holds my make up on ALL DAY!!!!! It is definitely worth every cent!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2009 7:27:00 PM More reviews by godsgirl619

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Made my skin oilier- really wanted to like it too...

rated 3 of 5 on 4/16/2009 4:04:00 AM More reviews by jxcouture

I do appreciate the clean packaging, and easy squeeze tube style dispension; however, with only .8 oz of primer... this is a bit pricey! I didn't try it out before buying, but I wasn't impressed or disappointed. It feels very velvety and soft to the touch, as a hint of color that fades as you smooth it onto your skin, and smells like some fruit+flower combo of some sort. It does remove oil upon contact onto skin, but I'm still oily at the same hour of day even with this... gah, I'm not buying this again. It's just like any other primer that says it will give you a matte finish. I have oily/combo skin and for me... primers like these means matte for a few hours and back to oily again.