April 20, 2014 | 933 users online

Primer/ Corrector - Givenchy - Mister Mat Mattifying Foundation Primer

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2014 2:43:00 AM More reviews by kimmurs

I have combo skin which while quite dry at times does tend to get shiny very easily. This primer worked pretty good for me, one thing that turned me off is the price to quanity ratio! I don't mind paying a lot for makeup but the amount of product in this 0.8oz seemed a bit small to me (like at least do an ounce?!). Anyways, very smooth, soft feel. Key word here is velvety! Definitely helps makeup glide on and last. It is quite matifying but I still usually get a bit of shine after a very long day or after a night out, that being said I'm not disappointed because it definitely extends my non-shiny time quite a lot. Only real dislike about this is again, the price especially considering I would not describe this as a product where "a little goes a long way". I mean I don't go overboard but I do use a fairly normal amount each time and at that rate this isn't lasting very long.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/1/2014 9:29:00 PM More reviews by lumer00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This primer works well to smooth out my skin and help makes my pores look smaller around my nose. I only use it on my forehead, around my nose, and my chin, basically the tzone. I love the mousse texture of this, and compared to other primers with a similar texture, this one is a dream. I can easily put my foundation on over this and it doesn't look cakey. A little goes a long way, and the best way to out it on is by patting it gently. However, I get about average wear time with this as other primers. After two hours, I am slightly shiny, I have very oily skin so I usually blot around two-three hours after putting on makeup. Once I finish my bottle, I may try something new because I want something better for this price point.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/9/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by papierflora

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Black

I got this primer for around SGD$50 at Sephora during a Givenchy event in November. I felt really pressure into buying this. I advise all to check any makeup you have tried on at any department store or specialty store under sunlight. Do NOT be fooled by the lighting in-store, or be pressured into buying a product even when it looks bad because the makeup artist told you that it would look that way under certain lights. To think I was sucked into buying this when the makeup artist told me that my makeup was meant to look cakey because only in that way, it would show up under the harsh camera lights during the photoshoot! Stupid, stupid me. Despite that experience, I had used this product for a week and I am ready to share my thoughts on it.

Pros:
-> Mister Mat has a lovely, velvety texture.
-> It does not clog my extremely sensitive skin (i.e. acne-prone - my skin reacts to quite a number of products and I have to be careful even if they are labelled as 'non-acnegenic' or 'non-comedogenic').
-> Gives a soft-focus effect when used alone.
-> Could be used for touch-ups after blotting the face. However, pat minute amounts of it into the areas of the visage where sebum production is more active. Do not rub it into your skin.

Cons:
-> I *think* it does help to keep my face feeling matte for longer although it could be an unconscious pyschological attempt to convince myself that I'm not wasting money on a $50 primer. I'm not too sure. Because of my uncertainty, I'm not convinced enough to want to purchase this product again and work around its cons.
-> It balls up very easily if I rub it in too much. It balls up almost *too* easily, I would say. I have to be careful to *smooth* it into my skin in a downward motion. It takes up quite a bit of time in the morning!
-> Foundation does *NOT* go over smoothly. I have tried it with Givenchy Eclat Matissime Foundation and Lancome Mat Miracle. I could only pat those products into my skin with my fingers. I could not blend and spread the foundation easily! The end result was unnatural and looked cakey, and I am the kind of person who is always very careful about using just enough foundation, and hate to go OTT on base makeup. I had to wash the makeup off and redo it again. That was the last straw, and the deal-breaker for me.

How I have decided to work with it:
Sigh. This product was such a waste of money. However, I will use it up because at the very least, Mister Mat does not clog my pores. Prior to applying it, I would spray some M.A.C. Fix+ onto my face for a little bit of hydration and pat it in -- it will also help the primer to blend in better. After that, I will skip liquid foundation and go straight to conceal any imperfections with M.A.C. Studio Finish Concealer in NC20. I would finish off the look with either M.A.C. Blot Powder in 'Light' or Givenchy Prisme Libre Loose Powder Quartet in 'Delicate Beige'. I would not use a compact foundation as the final step as I fear a repeat of an unnatural everyday look.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/9/2013 2:03:00 PM More reviews by PhatRabbit

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very oily skin. This primer seems to go on matte, but within a HOUR my face is oily. Unacceptable for the price of this primer. Will never purchase this product again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by emilyhannelx3

LOVEEE. Not sure why it's getting such a bad rap! I have oily skin, and when I say I've tried every primer imaginable, I mean EVERY one. I love this primer, even better than the Smashbox, NARS, Sephora, and Tarte ones I've owned. When applied after a makeup setting spray, (Urban Decay's de-slick) my makeup looks flawless. No primer is a magician, but I get a beautiful matte finish from this Givenchy Mister Mat, and I don't find myself having to touch up or blot throughout the day. The packaging is sleek and tucks away neatly in my vanity. Would definitely recommend, maybe a good, matte setting spray is all it takes to get great results from this primer. Definitely worth the price !

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2012 2:15:00 AM More reviews by hrtbrkr78

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've been a sucker for HE products since I was an SA for YSL in my late teens. I haven't been as avid a product junkie as in my teens but I'm still looking for new products since my skin has changed a bit.

I was looking for a matte finish under makeup. Meghan at Sephora Ala Moana applied this on me on moisturized skin under my foundation w/ a sponge. I wasn't looking for a primer but after she sold me on the texture and look of this. It smells of roses, may be strong to some but not for me. I prefer fragrance in my skin care and cosmetics to mask the "unscented" scent; it just feels more luxurious to me plus my skin doesn't react to fragrance that in ways that I am aware of.

It applied very smoothly and does not flake like Smashbox. It feels like a silicone-based primer; didn't check ingredients. This just made my foundation go on like butter. It truly is a luxurious product but there are probably things that money is better spent on. You get very little and I'll probably go through this in a few months, maybe less. Nonetheless, I like the finish and fragrance enough for me to repurchase. Deducted a lippie for price and for not keeping me matte like it should; I was shiny in a few hours however, it could be due to the foundation or moisturizer I wore as well.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2011 3:28:00 AM More reviews by MakeupAddictLa

Smells very nice and makes my face super smooth for foundation application. It does help my makeup last a little longer (maybe an hour or two) but nothing drastic. Because of the scent, i feel like this might not be a good product for people with sensitive skin since it is obviously perfumed.

Everything about this product is just so-so. Does not set it apart from any other silicone primer out there. Feels exactly the same. No reason why you should choose this one over others.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/5/2011 12:58:00 AM More reviews by raytard

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This gave me awful CYSTIC ACNE. I am acne prone, so if you are lucky enough to have clear skin, then maybe it will work for you. But I had to return it, and I have probably never returned any cosmetics before. And yes, it's expensive. I would probably think that if you were to use any mattifying primer, only use a small amount and only use on the T zone or areas you need it.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by xoCarmina

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I kind of both love and hate this product. On the one hand it sets my foundation beautifully and I like the smell. But on the other hand, I think it's the culprit of skin aggravation, which leads to some nasty breakouts. I'm eager to try out the YSL Matte primer and Chanel Le Blanc. Still on the hunt for the HG primer...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/2/2010 4:43:00 PM More reviews by CleverRabbit

Givenchy's Mister Mat disappoints on the most disappointing of levels. This product made me break out. I used it for 3, maybe 4 days (I persevered) but I just couldn't take the congested pores any more. They got worse, and worse and worse. I'm not a happy bunny. It's been a couple of days since I last used it and my skin is still in crisis!

It just seems so wrong for a product that is meant to address the concerns of combination/oily skin to actually make things WORSE. It's just not on.

I have combination skin. It's winter at the moment so I find that my t-zone, although oilier than the rest of my face, is not as oily as it is in summer. So I can only comment on this product's performance based on a moderate shine problem and not an extreme shine problem. It went on smoothly, and did keep my skin matte and makeup looking good for most of the day.

However I can't see my self using this or repurchasing this ever again, the skin problems that follow using this aren't worth it!

My full review on this product and other product reviews are on my blog:
clever-rabbit.blogspot.com