April 18, 2014 | 1697 users online

Makeup Brushes - Shu Uemura - #10 Handy Sable Brush

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2014 7:39:00 AM More reviews by rillensora

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I bought this one dreary day because I wanted to cheer myself up with a splurge. I spent a couple days just stroking the head and admiring its softness. Now it sits in my brush holder, totally neglected, beweeping its lack of purpose in life, its potential (because it IS truly a beautifully made brush) wasted and overlooked. Now I feel like I have to go use it because I feel sorry for it. I constantly forget though, just because it there's nothing it does that my fingertips can't do just as well or more effectively - though I'm willing to submit that I simply haven't got over the learning curve required to use this brush to its fullest potential.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2012 10:16:00 AM More reviews by dddoxie

Yeah, I'm going to be "that girl" that doesn't absolutely love this brush to death.

Don't get me wrong, the brush is really nice quality and does a great job at applying and blending eyeshadow. It just hasn't made me go "WOW, how did I live without this brush?"

The bristles are firm and pack on lid color well. They pick up color nicely and there is minimal fall-out during application. I like that i can flip the brush sideways and use this to slighly blend out my crease without applying a lot of product.

It washes nicely and I've even got away with just wiping it off on a somewhat damp washcloth instead of spraying it with daily brush cleaner.

But for $68 dollars...I would not repurchase. I personally believe I have other brushes in my collection that do the same job for a fraction of the price.

Yes, I use this brush daily to apply my eyeshadow, but it's not the only brush I use. I still feel like I have to use a smaller/fluffy brush for the crease and other brushes to blend out the lower lashline. So I don't feel it's as versitile as others make it appear to be. Or, it could just be that my technique needs improvement.

Overall, is it a nice brush - yes. Is it worth $68 - not in my opinion. Would I recommend it to someone else - not really.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2012 12:57:00 PM More reviews by brandi9689

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was really skeptical about spending $68.00 on a brush but after using it just one time, I'm completely hooked. The brush is the perfect size and it just makes the application so easy. The bristles are so soft and it glides so easily against the eyelid.This is my first Shu brush purchase and I plan to purchase more.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/30/2010 11:49:00 PM More reviews by maggieyu

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

At first I didn't understand why anybody would spent so much on a brush but after trying it I changed my mind. This brush is amazing. I thought the MAC eyeshadow brush that I have been using for about 5 year was good but that is until I used this one. This brush puts the one from MAC to shame. My eyeshadow looks so different when applied by this brush. You have to try it to believe it. You won't regret getting this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2010 9:10:00 AM More reviews by ella343

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

At first glance, this is an unprepossessing brush, especially for the price it commands. Like all Shu Uemura brushes, the quality leaves nothing to be desired: the bristles hit the ideal balance between softness (gentle on delicate skin, no harsh edges) and firmness (glides evenly over every contour, lays down pigment both sheer and intense). Not once has it ever shed. It proves a versatile brush, regardless of eye shape or size, depending on how it's angled. tThe motivation behind my purchase was a makeover article from an In Style of twelve years ago, in which Collier Strong (currently of L'Oreal) relied on this brush for all five classic looks. It effortlessly manages washes of pigment (sheer, highlight, concentrated), contouring (crease or wedge), and blending (on the lid or smudging eyeliner). Consequent to its popularity with makeup artists and of makeup-artist brands, numerous copycats may be sourced for far cheaper, but they lack an equal attention to detail. Some are too fluffy to function as anything other than a wash brush, or not so meticulously tapered (Shu Uemura brushes disperse pigments very evenly and require little blending afterwards) that allow you to layer pigment for intensity, without lifting what's already been applied. Like most all-rounders, however, it is not suited for very specific effects, such as a very defined crease or precise eyelining. But if your needs are more basic, Natural 10 makes a truly worthy investment.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2009 5:18:00 AM More reviews by super77

I personally feel that Shu Uemura owns the best Eye brushes! Best quality and worth every cents. Just have to try it to believe it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/20/2005 7:01:00 PM More reviews by DianeL

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

A bit expensive at $67.00 but worth every cent. This by far the queen of all eyeshadow brushes if you do not want to slurge on the Kalinsky #11 or #15, which retail for $135.00 and $270.00. Nothing else begins to compare. It's versatility is fantastic. It is soft sable, but not too soft and perfectly shaped. It is perfect for eyeshadows and it is shaped so that I can actually use the tip as a push brush for lining if it's the only one I have with me. It's short so it is very easy to use and fits into most makeup bags that you carry in your purse. For applying powder eyeshadow, using in the crease...perfection. If I could have only one brush for eyes, this would be it. In a pinch, this one will work for almost everything.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2005 4:18:00 PM More reviews by signsoflife

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I got this in the travel size. When you first look at it, it's a very unassuming brush, and actually, I was kind of disappointed because I'd expected more--it's not a very fluffy brush, more flat (like Japonesque or Sonia Kashuk), so it doesn't have that poufy feeling some brushes have (L'Oreal's eyeshadow brush, for example, seems "fuller"). But after using the brush, I've become very impressed--even though it's not very fluffy, it's not scratchy at all. It's the softest eyeshadow brush I have, and I'd just bought the Paula Dorf Smart Eyes Brush Set. I'm glad I bought this brush and I'd buy it again if I ever lost it (or at least look into other Shu Uemura brushes), but my wallet would cry.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2005 9:32:00 PM More reviews by nlam

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

can't say enough about the shu uemura brushes. this one is great for applying eye shadows. the flat, curved shape is perfect for smoothing powder over the eyelids. wonderful quality bristles, so soft on the sensitive eye area. pricey but worth it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2002 1:44:00 AM More reviews by BEVERLYS

This is an *excellent* concealer brush! It's short handled, so it's easy to travel with. The brush itself spreads concealer perfectly and smoothly - giving a flawless coverage. I use it with Becca's concealer and it covers up my under eye circles well - definite rave from me!