April 16, 2014 | 1907 users online

Palettes - Smashbox - Master's Class Vol. 4 Rescue Beauty

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2009 12:55:00 PM More reviews by economista

I bought this product as a birthday treat for myself. Yes, we do get products late here in the Philippines :) Anyway, I disagree with the reviews here. I think most of the products here are a dream. I am an NC 30 with yellow undertones (im asian). Reviews on the ff products:

Illuminator Serum: I agree this does not show up on the skin on its own but I mix it with my foundation (MAC) and my skin gives me a luminous glow! I love it.

O Glow Blush: I love how natural mynatural my flush looks ( a little goes a long way!). I love this more than my Benetint or other gel/liquid based blush because this goes on smooth. The gel has a silicone consistency to it that fills up my pores and makes it flawless. I usually don't use tints because they settle in my pores but not in this case. So im extremely happy with it.

Fusion Lights in Stardust (?): Sorry if I got the name wrong. This showed up very lightly on my skin. Its a good highlighter but I m guessing this would show up great on lighter skin and can be used as a highlighter.

Eyeshadow Quad in Bright Eyed: I love this most of all. While the colors are very natural, I disagree that this does not show up at all. I love the subtleness of the Ivory shade and the flirtyness of the Peach shade. The chocolate brown shade makes a great, less harsh eyeliner!

Photo Op eyebrightener: Like the serum, this hardly shows up on me. I think this is not meant to be a concealer but more of a highlighter. Therefore I would advise Smashbox NOT to market it as a concealer ("for undereye circles). If taken into context as a highlighter, this is fabuoulus. I use this on my nose bridge and me being asian, it works wonders for my "flat" nose.

Overall, i think this is very very good value. Considering that 1 O glow + 1 Fusion Lights = cost of the entire kit makes this worthwhile. So if you manage to see one don't hesitate to grabe one!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2009 8:01:00 AM More reviews by charms09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this kit with the intentions of trying out some new Smashbox items. I have to admit, I am not very impressed. There is nothing in this kit I would be individually. The primer is okay but I prefer my Monistat. The illuminating serum is probably the item I use from this kit most frequently but I don't really notice a difference when I don't use it and the subtle change in my complexion can easily be duplicated with a decent highlighter. The under eye brighter is useless, my Touche Eclat puts it to shame. The bronzer is okay, not one I reach for frequently and I threw out the eye shadow palette because they barely showed up and faded quickly. The blush can create a pretty flush but takes a lot work and too much can easily make you look like a clown. The lip gloss is pretty but unremarkable. All in all, medicore products in an overpriced kit has inspired me never to buy anything else from Smashbox.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2009 12:52:00 AM More reviews by originalskin

Illuminating Serum
Fusion softlights in starburst
Eyeshadow quad in Bright Eye
Instructional DVD

Soooooo, opening this is sorta like Christmas morning, I have to admit. It is a lot of product for the price as the Fusion softlights, the eyeshadow quad and the lip gloss all seem to be full size and the others are close to full size or at least are very generously sized. So no complaints in that department. I lined up my loot and sat down and watched the DVD. The model on the DVD, while very beautiful, does not have the best skin. You would be incorrect to assume I think this is a bad thing. It is very exciting for me to see a pro apply makeup to someone with less than perfect skin. I certainly do not have perfect skin, so I am hoping to learn something here! Watching a pro put it on an already perfect model is just frustrating and not very educational or impressive, so I actually had a note pad ready to glean some fantastic nugget that would allow me to use these products, previously off limits to me, especially the shimmery ones, on my skin which resembles the models (orange peel like texture: it is not fun!) and does not take well to shimmer products. I am sure you can guess where all this is headed. She ended up looking like I look when I try to use these products, too shiny with the orange peely/open pored skin. Not flawless, not rescued, not good. I mean when they can't even fix it with lighting while they are shooting the DVD, it is a problem. I was only briefly cheered by the fact that I evidently had not been messing up in the past, these products just do not work with my skin type. But I decided that I needed to I gave it a shot myself, and while I liked the serum I do not think it adds much to the game here except starting things off with a slightly greasy layer. I had high hopes for the Photo finish light, and it was OK, but not any better than my less expensive Eraser. The O-glow is not a product I like at all, it was a harsh fushia pink, not a flushed look, and lands in all the pores giving me an intresting (though not attractive) speckled look. It may be better on someone much, much younger (I am guessing 2-4 yrs old would be best) and the gimick with the "individualized color change" is just a bunch of phoey, it will turn the same color on everyone. The Photo Op was a plesasant surprise and gave a nice glow without overdoing it under my eyes and along cheekbones. I would recommend this product as the best of the whole kit. The lip gloss is nice, pretty basic peachy pink, nice texture. The eyeshadow was not good at all. The colors did not blend well together, and the color payoff was lacking. I tried several different days, but I have better colors and better quality all over the place on my counter, and will not waste any more time with this. The bronzer is beautiful to look at, and if you have great skin already it I would recommend it, but if you have large pores like I do, the sheen from this product will cause people to wince and turn away from you. Overall, a generous bunch of products, only a few of which I would recommend at all, and then only if you already have great skin. If you have a less than perfect complexion, the shimmer of the products in this kit will only emphasize the problem and that sort of defeats the purpose.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2009 7:31:00 AM More reviews by codyeve

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Everything is AMAZING in this kit!!! Great buy for ur $$$. Almost everything is full sized. U will use everything in this kit, all the products are fantastic!