August 2, 2014 | 991 users online

Styling Products - Kinky Curly - Curling Custard

rated 4 of 5 on 5/5/2014 3:02:00 AM More reviews by haynmama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

It's an excellent product but their are other brands out their that are similar for a lot cheaper w/more product. It's like a jelly with conditioner in it, I think. I prefer shea moisture's curling soufflé or As I Am jelly. A jar of this was about $20. It lasts about a month. I like to apply it to my 3a hair on the ends then spray my root area with Shea moisture curl & hold. Keeps my hair frizz free & under control. This product is kind of heavy but rinses out easily. Never gave my sensitive acne prone skin any breakouts. If it was cheaper id buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/2/2014 7:08:00 PM More reviews by auraborialis

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just finished my first container and about to head to target to get my second one. I love this stuff! Yes, there is a cloying vanilla smell but I actually kind of enjoy it.

I have 2b-3a (it's complicated) hair. I have used this product all year with the Knot Today conditioner with fabulous results. It's great during the scorchingly hot, (what feels like) 200% humidity summers and the dry, arid winters where I live. Given that during the winter time I have to diffuse because the idea of walking into 12F with wet hair is a no go, so my hair is not quite as bouncy as during the summer. But it's still beautifully curly, defined, not crunchy, and has a whole lot more body than if I used regular gels or mousse.

I highly recommend this product, but you have to buy it with the Knot Today detangling conditioner. I wasn't a fan of this at first because it seemed like a ploy by the company to get more money as I don't need a detangler... but layering the Knot Today under the custard on wet hair works wonders. For some reason these two products just work really well together. I have tried the custard by itself and got so-so results, probably would be better on a summer day. Yes, it's a lot of money to spend but these products are so potent that it took me a full YEAR to go through both a container of the custard and the Knot Today. So, a lot of money up front but you end up saving from having to buy other crappy products that won't perform nearly as well.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2013 11:22:00 PM More reviews by moptop712

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have 2c/3a curls and this product was great....except for the smell. It smells like vanilla cigars and gave me a migraine every time I tried to use it. (Note: I do not get migraines easily) If they'd come out with a choice of scent like Jessicurl does, I'd absolutely try it again. Until then, it was a costly expense for a product that I ultimately could not use.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2013 2:20:00 PM More reviews by elizsafox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have 3a curls, fine and somewhat porous hair. Getting the right amount of product is tricky with KCCC and I still need 2 other products in addition (my leave-in conditioner and an oil based finisher). I am not completely impressed by this product but I don't hate it either. It does seem to contain a good deal of frizz in the heat and humidity while maintaining curl definition but it doesn't honor my natural curl pattern - it either weighs it down a bit or makes it a little messier. It does end up taking a long time for hair to dry with this product so I use it at night and put my hair into a "pineapple mop top" to sleep in - the result is many dry, smooth curls in the morning but not as much definition as I would like. Overall, its ok - the ingredients are all natural and it has a very nice light smell which I like but I'm not sure the result warrants the price tag.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 6:50:00 PM More reviews by MyOwnBeat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use this for my daughter's 3c hair. I like it because it seems to moisturize and not leave her hair as tangled as just gel or mouse does after she washes it.
The best part is that we can stick to the "no-poo" method with this as it doesn't need shampoo to wash out.
Curl definition lasts a good 3 or 4 days as opposed to 1 with gel or mousse. She refreshes it with a spritz of water in the morning.
We haven't noticed drying time being a problem; I put this in around 6pm, when she goes to bed at around 8pm it's not dry yet, but not annoyingly wet either. The next morning she scrunches out any crunchiness, spritz if needed and is left with the most beautifully defined, soft , bouncy curls.
Wish the price was better, of course.
This does not work well for fine hair. I have fine hair and the one time I tried to use it I got zero curl definition. I had that heavy, oily, almost straight hair by the end of the day.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2013 12:56:00 AM More reviews by Safiyah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is a holy grail. A little goes a very long way! I have to admit it was a bit difficult to use in the beginning but this was due to user error (I am very heavy handed).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/25/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by akeelahb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

I always used the Argan Oil Eco Styler for my gel, but I wanted to try something new. My friend was telling me to try the KCCC, but that price tag scared me! (Like $17 at Target) After I got tired of my same hair routine, I decided to switch it up and try the KCCC...

giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirllllllllllllllll

Best decision I ever made! I would not call this a gel... curling custard is the more appropriate name. I wasn't sure how to use it... the directions say just apply to damp hair. I was scared that my hair would be dry and crunchy the next day, BUT ON THE CONTRARY it was soft and very curly. I used it on my bantu knots and when I took them out my hair felt sooooo supple. It could be because I sealed with JBCO and Sweet Almond oil, but I'm suprised the KCCC maintained so much moisture!!! Either way, my hair feels great and my curls are very very very very happy as I type. I will definitely be purchasing again!

This is probably the 5th time I've used my KCCC. My curls last until the second day. On the third day it tends to frizz so I'll have an update on how third day hair goes with just a touch up spritz of water and sweet almond oil.

**I'm a 3C/4A Kinky Coily Hair Texture... mainly coily =)

rated 3 of 5 on 9/8/2013 8:40:00 AM More reviews by carolina93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Pros:
-Gives good curl definition
-Great for styling
-Doesn't shrink the hair

Cons:
-After a few hours or If it was a windy day, my hair would frizz.
-I used this product for about a year and found that towards the last few months the product wasn't really working.
-The product has a slight unpleasant odor but when applied on to the hair it's not really noticeable.
-Takes a long time to dry

Suggested Alternative: Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie & styling milk, although these products do tend to shrink the hair.

Mixture of 3c/4a hair

rated 2 of 5 on 8/8/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by leemitchell

There is so much hype for this, and I totally fell for it for a while! But, if I wanted to spend all day with sopping wet hair, I'd just spend the day at the pool or the beach. The drying time on this is just as outrageous as the price. I don't use any heat on my hair, so I'm an air drying girl 100%!

The results, although they are decent sometimes, are not as great as other products I've tried. There is a learning curve to using this, so if you use too much, you're going to end up with limp, greasy hair. But, if you use the right amount correctly, you just might end up with something nice -- if it ever dries.

The bottom line is that this "curling custard" is glorified hair gel. Save your money and buy something from L.A. Looks or Eco Styler. Even Tresemme's maximum hold gel works about as good as this does for a fraction of the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2013 7:04:00 AM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I can't get this to work for me. If I apply too much I get dull, stringy hair that has no shine whatsoever. If I apply too little I get shiny but terribly stringy curls that have no bounce, they just look like ropes, not curls. I can't find the "right amount" and I'm beginning to doubt there is a right amount of this product for me! On wet hair it takes hours to dry. On dry hair I get tons of frizz. On slightly towel-dried hair it makes my hair feel kind of slippery and plasticky. What's more, after having worn this for a couple of days I can't wash it out of my hair! It takes several washes and my hair is dull for almost a week after one use. I don't know what it is in this product that my hair hates. I prefer the Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz, which works great for me now that I've figured out how to apply it correctly for my hair type.
EDITED 2013/07/30: I'm upping this to 4 lippies, because I've finally, finally found a way to make this work for my hair. I wash my hair at night, towel dry it in a turban for maybe 10 mins, then I remove the towel, shake my curls and then scrunch them into shape. Then I put my hair in a bun using a fabric scrunchie and sleep on it like that. In the morning I release my hair, which is a bit humid. Lovely, shiny curls! But instead of letting it dry completely, which only results in major frizz, I then take a pea sized dollop of KCCC, add some lukewarm water, mix in my palms and smooth over my curls. I then add some more water, mix what is left on my palms of the KCCC with it, bend over and scrunch my curls into shape. After letting my hair air dry like this, I get shiny curls with definition, no hold, good shine and no frizz! So I suppose the key for me is to use very little and only on almost dry hair.