Kinky Curly Curling Custard

botanical infusion of water, horsetail, chamomile, nettle and marshmallow, organic aloe vera juice, agave nectar extract, tocopheryl acetate (vitamin e), pectic, citric acid, potassium sorbate and natural fragrance

on 6/4/2015 9:19:00 PM

I actually found one of these on clearance at Rite Aid for $1 and liked the ingredients, since I don't like crunchy gels and hairsprays after OD-ing on them in the 1980s.
This product works well for me. I'm basically a white chick with frizzy-wavy-fine hair. It gives my hair nice definition without making the hair feel crispy or dried out. I've applied it both to wet hair to seal in some waves or added it to dry hair for definition or to tame some frizz and flyaways. I've even scooped some out of the tub and mixed it with water for a spray gel.
I'm very happy with this product, and I love the scent. Some have described is heavy with vanilla or like a vanilla cigar, which is probably the best way to describe it. A number of times I've just opened the tub and inhaled, I like it that much. I don't notice the scent lingers, though, like, for example, some Carol's Daughter products, which I also like, but I smell that product all day long.

on 5/27/2015 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love this gel on my waist length type 3b/3c curls. It has a slimy texture that makes it easy for me to run all the way through my hair and it has a strong hold which is great for the hot humid area I live in. I usually do my hair at night and let it dry then use a spray bottle to spritz water on my hair to break the gel caste in the morning. I like the smell and that it has all natural ingredients. The only thing I don't like it the price but cheaper gels like Ecco styler started to make my hair fall out so I came back to this. You get what you pay for I guess. Also the jar usually lasts me about 6 to 8 months which I like. I recently purchased a jar to take over seas with me while on vacation in order to keep my hair looking good while visiting humid coast lines. Will repurchase again and again. :)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I fell for the hype. After being natural two years ago and going back to processed hair, I once again decided to take the plunge and hack all of my hair off yet again. Dealing with my natural hair texture did intimidate me horribly in the past. This time around, I decided to take a different approach. A more patient approach ;) Im a type 4 coily and although I have teeny spirals (S shaped curls the size of a crochet needle) I also battle lots and lots of frizz :-( I needed something that would help with the frizz elimination and bring out my coils a bit more. I have used Eco Argan in the past and love the results BUT the protein in it and the hard crunch for days makes for awkward romantic moments with my mister so I wanted something with hold that allows hair to remain soft and does everything Eco does. This product is lovely... BUT you HAVE to know how to use it. Ive read so many mixed reviews, I almost didnt try it. A little goes a long way for my fine, densely packed coils. I use Giovanni Smooth as Silk conditioner underneath for added moisture and again, this is used in moderation. Diluted in a spray bottle with water and extra dark jamaican black castor oil. I get 4-5 day hair with just spritzing my hair with water in the morning to "wake it up". My honest opinion? KCCC is worth it IF you have the money to invest OR if you dont need to style your hair every single day AND youre in the type 4 category. I used this on my daughter with 3A-3B type hair and it was far too heavy unless you use a dime size and distribute only on the ends. I will only repurchase this once it runs out if I am within my financial means to do so. Otherwise, its back to Eco I go!

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This product tangles my hair and makes it cement hard. Not a repurchase for me. This is not for my 4c hair. Perhaps it's for type 3 hair.

on 5/5/2014 3:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It's an excellent product but their are other brands out their that are similar for a lot cheaper w/more product. It's like a jelly with conditioner in it, I think. I prefer shea moisture's curling soufflé or As I Am jelly. A jar of this was about $20. It lasts about a month. I like to apply it to my 3a hair on the ends then spray my root area with Shea moisture curl & hold. Keeps my hair frizz free & under control. This product is kind of heavy but rinses out easily. Never gave my sensitive acne prone skin any breakouts. If it was cheaper id buy it again.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I just finished my first container and about to head to target to get my second one. I love this stuff! Yes, there is a cloying vanilla smell but I actually kind of enjoy it.

I have 2b-3a (it's complicated) hair. I have used this product all year with the Knot Today conditioner with fabulous results. It's great during the scorchingly hot, (what feels like) 200% humidity summers and the dry, arid winters where I live. Given that during the winter time I have to diffuse because the idea of walking into 12F with wet hair is a no go, so my hair is not quite as bouncy as during the summer. But it's still beautifully curly, defined, not crunchy, and has a whole lot more body than if I used regular gels or mousse.

I highly recommend this product, but you have to buy it with the Knot Today detangling conditioner. I wasn't a fan of this at first because it seemed like a ploy by the company to get more money as I don't need a detangler... but layering the Knot Today under the custard on wet hair works wonders. For some reason these two products just work really well together. I have tried the custard by itself and got so-so results, probably would be better on a summer day. Yes, it's a lot of money to spend but these products are so potent that it took me a full YEAR to go through both a container of the custard and the Knot Today. So, a lot of money up front but you end up saving from having to buy other crappy products that won't perform nearly as well.

on 11/23/2013 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

I have 2c/3a curls and this product was great....except for the smell. It smells like vanilla cigars and gave me a migraine every time I tried to use it. (Note: I do not get migraines easily) If they'd come out with a choice of scent like Jessicurl does, I'd absolutely try it again. Until then, it was a costly expense for a product that I ultimately could not use.

on 11/18/2013 2:20:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have 3a curls, fine and somewhat porous hair. Getting the right amount of product is tricky with KCCC and I still need 2 other products in addition (my leave-in conditioner and an oil based finisher). I am not completely impressed by this product but I don't hate it either. It does seem to contain a good deal of frizz in the heat and humidity while maintaining curl definition but it doesn't honor my natural curl pattern - it either weighs it down a bit or makes it a little messier. It does end up taking a long time for hair to dry with this product so I use it at night and put my hair into a "pineapple mop top" to sleep in - the result is many dry, smooth curls in the morning but not as much definition as I would like. Overall, its ok - the ingredients are all natural and it has a very nice light smell which I like but I'm not sure the result warrants the price tag.

on 10/2/2013 6:50:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I use this for my daughter's 3c hair. I like it because it seems to moisturize and not leave her hair as tangled as just gel or mouse does after she washes it.
The best part is that we can stick to the "no-poo" method with this as it doesn't need shampoo to wash out.
Curl definition lasts a good 3 or 4 days as opposed to 1 with gel or mousse. She refreshes it with a spritz of water in the morning.
We haven't noticed drying time being a problem; I put this in around 6pm, when she goes to bed at around 8pm it's not dry yet, but not annoyingly wet either. The next morning she scrunches out any crunchiness, spritz if needed and is left with the most beautifully defined, soft , bouncy curls.
Wish the price was better, of course.
This does not work well for fine hair. I have fine hair and the one time I tried to use it I got zero curl definition. I had that heavy, oily, almost straight hair by the end of the day.

on 9/29/2013 12:56:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This product is a holy grail. A little goes a very long way! I have to admit it was a bit difficult to use in the beginning but this was due to user error (I am very heavy handed).

Top Rated Kinky Curly Products