Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in conditioner

4.1

organic Mango fruit extract, organic slippery elm, organic marshmallow root, organic lemongrass, cetyl alcohol, behentrimonium methosulfate, citric acid, phenoxyethanol and natural fragrance

on 6/9/2015 9:29:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other

This just doesn't have nearly enough moisture for my dry, porous, 2b-2c hair when used as a leave-in. The ingredients are CG but very minimal - just one or two very light moisturizers and a handful of fruit extracts that I suspect are there solely to impart fragrance and give it a "natural" aura. I've repurposed it as a second-day refresher, used in tiny dabs in places where my hair seems to need a little moisture boost, and it works OK for that purpose. But any thin conditioner would do so, so it doesn't make sense to pay 12 bucks for this when Suave Naturals and V05 conditioners are so much less expensive and more readily available at drugstores.

on 5/17/2015 4:39:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

Not sure why sooo many people rave about this product. I have 3b hair. I've tried it so many ways - as a leave in, as a styler, as a detangler, and it just doesn't work. It leaves the grossest filmy residue on my hair, and it does nothing for frizz. The only way I've found this product to work for me is as an edge control. I will use it to slick down my hair for buns and other updos, and it works great for that. I definitely would not purchase again.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I'm giving this review pretty early, but I've had this leave-in for about a week. I've used it 3 times, twice after washing and once on my dry ends.

My hair is fine, porous, 2b/2c waves/ringlets. The instructions say to rinse out this conditioner as a wavy, but this is an amazing leave-in, if it's used under styling products. I use maybe a nickel amount in my thin brastrap length hair after I use the Cantu For Natural Hair Moisturizing Curl Activator Cream. I rake this product through my hair and somehow my waves still clump. This has never happened with another conditioner, I usually have to squish in water to get clumps. I'm able to choose a part and then apply other products. My waves start higher when I use this as my leave-in (above my ears, close to the root instead of below my ears) even if I don't diffuse.

The con to this leave-in is that it has to be applied under styling cremes or gels, or the definition disappears after my hair dries. It doesn't work for wash and go for my hair type.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with this conditioner so far and will update my review if I change my mind.

on 4/18/2015 4:45:00 PM

I have confused hair, from baby fine waves to coarse spirals, all of it thick and prone to dryness. This leave in is one of the few products I've found that simply moisturizes my hair without leaving greasy spots (in the fine areas) or dry frizzy sections (in the coarse areas). A generous quarter size amount worked into everything below the shoulders makes my hair soft and workable.

Also used this as a deep conditioning treatment after another product left my hair looking like an unruly bale of hay. It turned prickly hay back into hair :)

on 2/20/2015 8:30:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I love this product!
I have hair that is wavy/curly (but mainly wavy) and I spent years of my life frying it with the GHDs. My hair hasn't been growing properly and I'm trying to embrace my natural waves and stop frying my hair in an attempt to make it healthy.
My hair is DRY. And i have tried every product out there to make it soft and moisturised again. You name it I've tried it. From high end products to high street.

I am trying to limit the silicones I use on my hair, and so came across this on a curly hair forum.

Its amazing. it detangles my hair like a dream- which is its main purpose, and leaves it with just enough moisture so as not to weigh down my hair! It also smells DIVINE.

I follow up with some curl cream and if I feel like i need it the Perfectly polished from the Kinky Curly range- which oh my god smells amazing too! The whole line is great!

My only complaint is that I wish it was easier to come by in the UK! Thank god for Curly Emporium!

on 1/4/2015 11:52:00 PM

This product is beloved in the curly hair communities, but after using it on and off for a few years, I'm really not seeing the appeal. I'll describe my hair and routine, then share my thoughts on the product.

I have a ton of hair, and it's composed of curls that are somewhere around 2c or 3a. I'm prone to frizz and poor curl definition (despite minimal shampooing and copious moisturizing), especially on the canopy. My current post-shower routine is Haus of Gloi's hair oil applied copiously, Kinky Curly Knot Today (maybe a nickel- or quarter-sized squirt?), then I finish off with Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I dry my hair in braids to minimize frizz and keep it from going "poof."

Knot Today is off-putting to me straight out of the bottle because it is moderately scented like a bright, fruity tropical drink (minus the booze, of course). A lot of people seem to like scented hair products, but personally, anything sickly sweet like this interferes with my perfume. Strike one. But more importantly, this product doesn't really seem to do... anything. Certainly not enough to justify the price. When I introduced it to my routine, I noticed my hair started feeling a little smoother, but that's about it. I didn't notice any real performance changes, improvement in my curl definition, or anything else. I'm delighted it works for a lot of people, but I'm not one of them.

on 11/18/2014 9:13:00 PM

LOVE IT. Always in the rotation. Years in the rotation. One of the best leave in conditioners I've ever tried and I've tried a LOT. Quarter size dollop in my curly hair when wet then comb through with a detangler, add styling cream and/or gel. Perfect every time. No learning curve like kccc

on 9/24/2014 11:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I logged on to makeupalley last night to write a very negative review of this product but changed my mind between last night and this morning!
I bought it as a pre-poo during the summer because the coconut oil I usually use was getting a bit heavy for my hair and not absorbing as it did during the colder months. I didn't like it as a detangler/pre-poo. For my preferences, it does not have enough slip, I don't feel like it gives my hair any added moisture and doesn't condition it. I do like the smell though. I started to use it to detangle in a spray bottle with water, and that worked a little better, but still wasn't great.

Last night I decided to finish the bottle and went to detangle again; diluted in water. Unfortunately I ran out of time and wasn't able to wash it out the way I usually do so I just tied it up and went to sleep. This morning when I woke up BAM!! Gorgeous curls! Looks just like my hair on wash day (5 hour process). So I think I will use it as a midweek curl refresher until I finish the bottle.I really wanted to loveeeee this product based on the amazing reviews. I find it odd that my hair didn't respond to it because my curls really aren't that picky and take to new product pretty easily. But for the price and my results I don't think I will repurchase (I'll stick to my first love)

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

I didn't like or dislike this product. First off, its definitely not a leave in conditioner, it doesn't have enough hold. I use it as a detangler because that is something it does pretty good, you can see a difference between detangling with this and without it. I like the smell and the smooth slip it gives. To make it last longer and double as a 2nd/3rd day refresher, I add a little over a quarter size to a spray bottle(cheap 99 cent ones from Target or walmart) and its a nice moisturizing mist.

on 8/2/2014 3:17:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure

Last year, I started going to a salon called Curl Ambassadors, one of the places that used Lorraine Massey's Curly Girl method. I'd never been to a hairdresser or salon that specialized in curly hair.
The hairdresser used Kinky Curly products on me, and after my first visit, my curls looked fantastic! On the next visit, I decided to buy the Curling Custard, and it worked great! Not excellent, 5/5, but still better than just about anything I'd bought before! Reading through these reviews, I decided to buy Knot Today to improve those results. I bought this online from iHerb because it retails in Canada for over $20!
I didn't use this as a conditioner at all. I'd use a different conditioner, rinse that out after a few minutes, then apply this and use a wide-tooth comb to evenly distribute it, get out of the shower, and apply the Curling Custard. I still didn't get the 5 star results I was expecting. I felt there wasn't much difference between using the Custard alone vs Knot Today+ Custard. Whatever difference there was, wasn't really worth it.
However, I'm looking through more reviews and video reviews, and I might be willing to try it again, because maybe I just didn't do it right (the bottle seems too small to be using as a conditioner alone!). If I do, I'll edit my review if the results are different. Hopefully they will be.

Video Reviews & Tutorials