November 26, 2014 | 997 users online

Hair - Nioxin - Thinning Hair System 2

rated 1 of 5 on 7/27/2013 6:33:00 PM More reviews by StrangeLight

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

short version: NO. STAY AWAY. INCREASED HAIR LOSS DRAMATICALLY.

long version:

i have fine hair (the strands themselves are thin) and thin hair (fewer hairs per square inch). you can see my scalp through my hair. i was getting a pedicure at a salon and one of the stylists recommended i try nioxin. i didn't ask them about my hair... she just looked at me, said "your hair is really thin," and told me to try it. she said it really worked, and since they didn't sell it at their salon, i thought it was a genuine recommendation and not a sales pitch.

nightmare. this system completely dried out my hair. it also really, really tangled my hair. i have curly hair and never brush my hair, ever. i use a good detangler (bumble and bumble's tonic) and don't normally have any problems. however, with nioxin, it tangled my hair almost immediately. combing out the tangles caused major breakage. in addition to that, i was noticing MORE hair fall, not less. the mousse was pretty lousy too. just highlighted the thinness of my hair by making the strands clump together.

nioxin warns that you will get more hair fall at the beginning of using their product because it's prepping the scalp and "that hair would have fallen anyway." well... ALL of your hair is going to fall at some point in your lifetime. everyone loses 100-150 hairs a day. so losing 500+ hairs and hearing "it was going to fall out anyway" doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

nioxin also doesn't regrow hair. it claims to create a healthy scalp environment, and that in turn "promotes" hair regrowth, but here's what nioxin actually does: dry your hair, frizz it up, tangle it, add body (the only good point!), and accelerate hair fall.

i've stopped using it just one week shy of their 30-day trial period recommendation because the changes in my hair have been so noticeable and so BAD.

i will go back to my old regimen: bumble and bumble's thickening shampoo, conditioner, and hairspray. oh, and semi-related: the only thing that ever has actually worked to increase hair growth (i.e. more hairs per square inch) on my head has been 1L of drinking fresh-made kale juice every day. guess it's time to break out the juicer and try to repair the damage that nioxin has caused.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2013 10:37:00 AM More reviews by megsbergman

My feelings about this product are mixed - i think it really works ( my hair is stronger and visibly better ) but i don't like the smell, esp of the scalp revitalizer ( step 3 ) and it stays on your hair for days after washing... It is also very agressive, when i read it can cause reddness - i didn't expect that my face would simply EXPLODE after i once used the shampoo and conditioner in the shower!!!

But in the end, it works!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/28/2012 9:42:00 PM More reviews by SnowcLovers

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I noticed that my hair was really starting to thin and my side part made it look like I was balding on one side of my head and I had like a receding hairline. It got to the point where I was really desperate. So I decided to try this system out, although I was a bit skeptical. I did not experience any increase in hair loss when I first began to use it. The shampoo has a menthol-like/minty feel to it, though the cooling sensation wears away after multiple uses. I love the shampoo, but my only problem with it is that it doesn't foam unless you use A LOT....and at the price that it costs...I find myself using too little and it doesn't so obviously it doesn't clean well. I personally don't like the conditioner. I found that it made my hair very greasy quickly and weighed it down...but since I have it, I use it occasionally on the ends to help prevent knotting. The scalp therapy is amazing...kinda weird though. I only use a tiny bit (Since it's SO expensive) on the front part of my head. I use it before blow drying and I let it absorb for 1-4 mins. I find that this works better than putting it on dry hair, which makes it scrunchy like hairspray. At first I started to get disappointed because I did not notice any results. It has been 4 months (daily use) and I just started noticing a ton of shorter hairs sprouting by my receding hairline. My hair is noticeably thicker. In the past, I had to pull the hair from the way back and way side and cut them as bangs or else I'd seriously have like 4 pieces of hair for bangs. Now, I'm letting them grow back to where they should be because the shorter hairs are replacing them for bangs. I am so thrilled by the results! You won't notice drastic results, but this system really does help. I got it during Christmas from Ulta. They had a buy one get one free so I have 4 shampoos in the larger size and 2 conditioners. If you're worried about the cost, just look over the conditioner. I barely use it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2012 9:09:00 AM More reviews by ash_theoriginal

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I suffer from Androgenetic Alopecia and family and friends have been saying for years that they herad good things about Nioxin, I decided to give it a shot. I found the full starter kit on sale, so there was no better time to start. I was very skeptical that it would do anything. I've become so frustrated with my hair that I lost all hope. I used the shampoo and conditioner and loved the tingly feeling on my scalp. For some reason I equate tingling with it's gotta be working :) It left my hair so soft and smooth and free of tangles. I was easily able to comb through my hair. Next up was the foam scalp therapy. This stuff takes getting used to. If you use to much it makes your hair look like you've used to much moouse and becomes scrunchy and dry. With the right amount in the right spots and by combing through you avoid this altogether. When my hair is dry it does appear much thicker. I wlak out of the house a little more confident now knowing that my hair looks better. I don't think this is growing my hair back at all though. It's helping to appear thicker and slowing down the shedding rate, but that's it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/13/2011 8:27:00 PM More reviews by reneeadele

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My hair has thinned out over the past few months from telogen effluvium (possibly chronic). I was recommended Nioxin by my dermatologist, and i love it! Im not sure if it is helping grow my hair because I am using a few other products/supplements, but it definitely helped thicken my hair and give the illusion of full body hair. Before my hair was limp, dry and brittle and Nioxin helped make it healthy again. I use both the shampoo & conditioner (system 2), but I also have to use another conditioner - (switch between a moisturizer and volumizer conditioner) because the nioxin conditioner leaves my hair a bit tangled after...overall I am very happy with this product.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2009 1:22:00 AM More reviews by shorty87

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I am asian with naturally wavy-straight hair. I used to color my (former) thick hair every few months or so for about 5 years. I noticed my hair was beginning to thin out at the temples and on top of my head. I stopped coloring my hair and I switched to this system. I have been using Nioxin for about 8 months now. When I first started using this, I used the shampoo, conditioner and the foam scalp therapy. After the scalp therapy ran out in a few months, I didn't repurchase it because it make my hair all scrunchy looking. I continued using the shampoo and conditioner. My hair has not grown back but it did help reduce the amount of hair I lose in the shower. I am afraid this is a lost cause because my family members tend to have less hair. I have also noticed that other asian women tend to be thinner on top. Although it is not a big bald spot or anything, it's just less hair in general. This system also left my hair a bit dry so I use half nioxin conditioner and half Pantene hair mask which helped a bit. Maybe if I used all 3 parts of this system without adding in other products, it might help more? I don't know but I wouldn't count on it. This is probably as much as this product will do for me. This brand can get pretty expensive but occasionally I find it really cheap at outlet beauty stores. I guess it won't make my hair grow back but as long as Nioxin prevens me from losing obscene amounts of hair, I'll keep repurchasing it (only when I find good deals on it).

Update a few months later:
I have stopped using Nioxin because it was drying out my hair so bad :( It makes my hair brittle and tangled. I didn't really notice any improvement in my hair density so I don't think this is working for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/25/2009 8:06:00 PM More reviews by risa_topas

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I decided to give this a shot after noticing that I had been losing an unusual amount of hair for a few months. I used it for a few weeks (perhaps not long enough) before giving up. I didn't notice any decrease in hair loss after the initial (alarming) loss they warn you about, and the products made my hair dull and dry. The only volume I noticed came from the scalp treatment, which gives about the same volume as you'd expect from any light mousse. On the plus side, the products did make my scalp feel nice and healthier. Perhaps they are best for people with short hair??