Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15

3.8

Skin Foundation SPF 15 – (Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.50% and Titanium Dioxide 1.00%) Water, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Talc, Boron Nitride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Dimethicone, Lecithin, Aluminum Dimyristate, Tocopherol, Myristic Acid, Silica, Magnesim Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol. May contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

I used to use this foundation about 4 years ago and had no issues, but since moving away and coming back to it, either the formula has changed or my skin has as I can't use it anymore.

I ended up buying this and a couple of Bobbi Brown skin care products recently. I have pretty normal skin, nothing big to cover, just a bit of an oily t-zone.

After using the skincare (extra lotion + hydrating face cream) plus the foundation for a couple of days, my face just went really awful, dry and scaley.

I attributed the change to the skincare rather than the makeup as I'd used the foundation before with no issues, so returned the cream and lotion, only to find that my skin just wouldn't get better. The foundation highlighted the dry patches on my forehead and cheeks horribly while also slicking away from my oily t-zone. I looked an absolute mess!

The colour choice is amazing, I'm 'warm ivory' and it is the most accurate colour match I've ever found in a foundation, but I just can't use it.

After a couple of days off this product, my skin has more or less returned to normal, so it was, unfortunately, definitely the foundation!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I waited to review this foundation until I had gotten a lot of use out of it.

The biggest issue I had with this foundation is that prep is everything. As a sufferer of dry, flaky skin in the winter, it was nearly impossible to prep my skin enough. Even after exfoliating, moisturizing, priming, this foundation would never sit right. It has less coverage than a lot of tinted moisturizers (e.g. Bobbi Brown BB cream, or Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue). While I enjoy the light coverage (I like looking polished but natural), I had the hardest time buffing this in without a streaky, uneven, sort of dry result. I tried multiple brushes, sponges (including the beauty blender--which sheers it out too much) and multiple moisturizers and primers. The primers ranged from hydrating and water based to silicone based pore-fillers, and nothing worked. Aside from the initial sort of odd and patchy result, the foundation wouldn't last more than 6 or so hours.

And then.... I found the perfect combination. I typically use a hyaluronic acid serum in the morning, and on this particular morning I topped the serum with Estee Lauder DayWear Advanced Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant & UV Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (which I had hidden in my bathroom drawer, and which has a 4.4 star rating on MA). Then, I put the foundation on with Real Techniques expert face brush. Oh my goodness... I had the satin, glowing and even finish that I had always dreamed of!!! Powdered the T-zone a bit and it lasted all day. Repeated the steps the next day with the same result.

So... sorry for the long review, but the effectiveness of this foundation depends almost entirely on your prep and application method. It works better over EL's DayWear than it did over any moisturizer/primer combo I own, and applying it with a soft buffing brush with no harsh edges (much like Sephora's #56, or the Real Techniques one, or Morphe's G1) is key.

Can't give it a higher rating because having to buy other products to make the foundation work is inconvenient. I think this would do well on oilier skin types, because the foundation seems to need that slip that the EL DayWear gives. However, on oily skin it may not hold up during the day.

Rant over, hope this was useful for anyone trying to nail the application of this. With the right brush and moisturizer, this truly can look glowy/beautiful/your-skin-but-better.

This is a foundation with a beautiful finish.

It does give a stunning 'skin finish' after it dries down and blended out. I got compliments as if people would say 'You look good today!', which is pretty impressive as one of the foundations that people would compliment on my skin. However, I am not a fan.

It takes WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT for this foundation to work. First of all, it is very runny that feels very moisturising WHILE highlighting all dry patches. Even dry patches that I didn't know that they existed; despite having prepped my skin with macadamia+ intense moisturiser+moisturising primer. The result was so horrible in my first attempt that I got to wash it off, proceeded to redo my entire skincare routine this time prepping my skin with a more intense nighttime moisturiser. In my second attempt, those dry patches disappeared, yet when I applied this foundation it was still slightly streaky using the real techniques buffing brush. I needed to use my fingers, after using a brush, to help blend the foundation.

Secondly, the foundation looked extremely waxy until it dried down and was blended out to a decent finish...maybe after 5 minutes of ridiculous blending. However, this finish does not amount to decent coverage. I have decent skin, with no breakouts just a little bit of redness around the nose, yet my nose still looks kind of red after 2 layers. It is slightly disappointing.

I have tried numerous foundations from Chanel, Armani, YSL, MUFE face and body etc. and this foundation probably does provide slightly more coverage than MUFE, yet for MUFE it dries down much quicker without that waxy finish when I can quickly work on minimal concealing for a natural look. Don't get me wrong, this foundation is easily blendable due to its runny texture, however too much effort and time is needed.

After all these effort and powdering, it does give off that perfect skin-like finish which looks very natural and glowy. However, my nose started to get oily after 4 hours. I touched up with a handbag concealer after a 5-hour wear which wasn't like too terrible but thinking all the effort and a high price tag for this finish I am not sure if it's really worth it. For example using my YSL touche eclat foundation in my morning routine I will be able to finish both of my eyes, face makeup and get dressed in 20 minutes looking flawless and get compliments on my skin. Using Bobbi Brown skin I might have at least spent 15 minutes just working on my base.

Maybe I am just not a huge fan of 'zero coverage' foundation in general to begin with. I will still finish using this foundation because it is one of the fews that I will get compliments on, but I will only use it on holidays when I don't mind spending a ton of time in the morning. Two lippies.

on 4/1/2015 7:43:00 PM

The color range in this foundation line is excellent, which is why I gave it 3 stars. I just don't like the actual formula, though. I can't get even coverage & with or without primer this is cakey on my skin. Also, I don't feel like this ever sets & even with normal skin, the finish is too dewy for me.

on 3/29/2015 6:42:00 PM

I don't recommend this to people who have combination or oily skin. I tried it before buying and it stayed in my face all day long but at the end of the day, I was very disappointed because my t-zone were shining like a diamond.

on 3/22/2015 7:46:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am really disappointed with this foundation considering how much it costs. I have combination skin, with my nose being the oiliest- and this foundation starts to slide off within two hours, and that is with primer and powdering. I am sure it will be much worse in the upcoming summer months. I tried the Wayne Goss method of powdering first, and that does help a little.

The texture is nice, and it blends really nicely. I have a very freckled complexion, and one pump gives me nice coverage. It does not hide my freckles completely- but it does blur them nicely, covers my redness, and hides some of my dark circles. Looks natural and healthy.

I do really love the color. I am a hard woman to match as I am fair and neutral toned, yet leaning more towards warm. I got matched to Beige (3) and it is perfect. I will try the foundation stick next, hopefully that works out better for me.

Pro's:
- A very lightweight formula that looks like nothing on the skin.
- There is more then one light color to choose from.
- For me it covers old acne scarring beautifully, and I feel like I don't need as much concealer as i normally would with this kind of formula.
- Doesn't cling to dry pacthes.
- Doesn't break me out.

Cons:
- I really had to learn how to apply this product properly. You really need to take your time with it.
- It is quite expensive, and i do need two pumps to cover my entire face.

Application:
I use a stippling brush to apply and a buffing brush to blend it out. To set this foundation, I use a sponge covered with a tissue, and dab gently over my entire face. This absorbs the excess oil perfectly, and I don't need a setting powder. (see Wayne Goss' beauty channel for a tutorial on this technique)

All in all, I like this foundation a lot, but i'd love to find a similar product that applies a little quicker. I would however, repurchase.

on 2/11/2015 3:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I received this product only as a sample gift, and so I can't comment on the packaging, as mine was just in a little packet. Also, the color wasn't right, because the sample they sent out was a generic "natural." However, that being said, the sample did not inspire me to even try a color that might suit me. The texture was very similar to MAC's foundations, in that it was very oily, and thick. The greasiness covered everything and evened out my skin, but not in a natural way. It was VERY heavy. It felt like wearing a mask made out of cooking spray.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

NW13.

This is a fantastic formula if you have balanced skin. It does not grow oily on me until the end of the day. Looks very realistic, but has buildable coverage. I like the shade "Porcelain" although it is slightly yellow on me. This is was HG for a year or so. I now prefer shades that are pinker - Cinema Secrets 511, Make Up For Ever Face & Body 38.

This is a great "real skin" foundation, but it will still give coverage addicts what they want, more so that MAC F&B and MUFE F&B. I just can't wear it much anymore since I notice the shade difference.

on 2/1/2015 12:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I really wanted to love this foundation, as I have heard such great things about BB foundation and the reviews were good- but this just wasn't a win for me. After about 2 hours of wear on a normal day - my face was shiny in a few areas. I also felt the coverage was pretty light (I have pigmentation, uneven skin tone, freckles) and by the time I got medium coverage it felt a little thick to me. Disappointed. I may try the foundation stick next since it has more coverage and use it on only certain areas. This will be going back to Sephora.