Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation SPF 15

3.8

Skin Foundation SPF 15 – (Active ingredients: Octinoxate 7.50% and Titanium Dioxide 1.00%) Water, Methyl Trimethicone, Neopentyl Glycol Diethylhexanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Lauryl PEG-9 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone, HDI/Trimethylol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Talc, Boron Nitride, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Dimethicone, Lecithin, Aluminum Dimyristate, Tocopherol, Myristic Acid, Silica, Magnesim Ascorbyl Phosphate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Citrate, Sorbic Acid, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol. May contain: Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499).

on 7/27/2015 10:45:00 AM

I bought this product because I tried it from a friend of mine and I really like it. My skin looks naturally really good, so I don't need a lot of coverage. I use foundations only to even out my skin color. So this product is perfect for that. It has a really light coverage, evens out skin tone and you barely see it on your face. It is water based, so it blends really well with my skin. I really like it but I believe it's too expensive.

on 7/25/2015 3:39:00 PM

In love with this foundation! I use it on really hot summer days, because it doesn't melt off my face.

This foundation has a very light coverage, so it's best for people who spot-cover with concealer and just like to even their skin tone with foundation. The finish is quite dewy, and very natural. It has minimal creasing and great staying power, especially in the heat because it doesn't clog your pores. However, I would still recommend setting it with a small amount of powder. The pump applicator is really useful too!

I've had no problems applying this foundation, but I find less is more with it. I have really dry skin, so I apply a small amount of hemp oil to my face & allow it to soak it, then apply my moisturizer and primer before applying the foundation. Overall, this routine works great for me with this foundation.

Pros:
- great staying power
- very natural
- dewy
- wide range of shades
- applicator

Cons:
- pricey
- wish it has a bit more coverage

on 7/9/2015 9:35:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I've tried Bobbi Brown Skin twice. The first time, it didn't work because there was not a color match (the lightest shade is pink undertoned, whereas I'm yellow) and the second time, it broke me out.

The product itself is contained in a glass bottle with a nice weight. If you drop it, it will definitely break, but it comes with a pump and is hygienic. The pump dispenses an adequate amount of product in one go, but I found I needed 1.5 pumps to get the coverage I like. The foundation is very liquidy and will run if you put it on the back of your hand and tilt it at an angle.

The wear time on the product is OK, even for someone with dry skin. I find that it lasts about 7 hours before it starts wearing off. It clung to the hairs between my brows and my vellus hairs if I applied it with a brush or fingers, but it worked best with a Beautyblender (on top of my HG, Laura Mercier Hydrating primer) and didn't have this same issue with that.

It is a lighter weight foundation, but the second time I wore this (it was after getting a new medication that makes my skin more sensitive), I could feel right away it was going to break me out and the very next morning, I had two pimples along my chin line on waking up. It is a more natural looking foundation, but as the day goes on, I find that the coverage wears off and while it's not exactly greasy, a lot more of my natural redness comes through. I found I could really only build it to medium coverage and it just kind of tapers off.

I did test it for flashback as well, and found that it does give that infamous white cast (likely due to the SPF 15). It is my personal pet peeve to have SPF in foundation because it only causes problems in photography, and it's never enough to offer adequate coverage anyways because you would need a sizable portion of the bottle to get there.

Overall, I'd not buy this again for obvious reasons (broke me out, flashback, etc.), but it's not a bad foundation if you're someone that prefers lighter coverage foundations with a natural appearance, and don't need to wear it all day.

Pros:

- Lightweight
- Line tends to skew for yellow undertones, but does have some pink ones (for those with yellow undertones)
- Sturdy packaging
- Light-to-medium coverage (for those that prefer it)

Cons:

- Can break out those with sensitive skin
- Many yellow undertones, not as many pink (for those with pink undertones)
- Does not last through a full work day
- Can cause flashback
- Fussy to apply

on 5/10/2015 2:35:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

I was surprised to read so many mix reviews from people with dry skin or needing a lot of effort to make this foundation work. I recommend getting a sample first to test it out, as foundations and mascaras are so personal things - you'll often love or hate them.

I was looking for a new foundation for the longest time and ended up checking reviews on this Bobbi one. I've used BB creams at least a full year before going back to normal foundations, because I wanted to venture out an find something less oxidising and pink for my warm neutral skin tone. I have dry and sensitive skin, but it leans towards more to combination (thanks to my t-zone) in the evenings when I've worn sunscreens, makeup etc the whole day.

I find this Bobbi foundation very fresh and natural looking. And the best of all, it feels very light and doesn't break me out. It leaves my skin feeling glowy, but not oily or sticky at all. Only on very long or hot days I use a little bit of translucent powder on my t-zone to set it. I don't mind it gets little bit glowier towards the evening, because your skin does so naturally.

I usually use only one pump and with that amount I can build up the coverage to make my skin more even. I do need to apply concealer for my super dark under eyes and acne scars or blemishes. I have somewhat uneven texture on my cheeks where I've had blemishes and it doesn't really hide those. The foundation doesn't transfer much at all, but if there's any rubbing (like, kissing on the cheeks) there's not much product left at the end of the day. Because of these two minuses, I can't give full 5 lipsticks.

I can't blame the foundation if they don't have a perfectly matching shade, but I thought I might as well write about that: My shade doesn't match 100% as Alabaster was too light and Ivory very yellow on my warm/warm-neutral skin. Shade 0 Porcelain leans a bit too cool for me, but I can make it work by blending to my neck and finishing with Hourglass ALP in Diffused Light. I recommend Alabaster if you are lighter than NC15 and Ivory if you're looking for a foundation on more yellower side. All in all, I warmly recommend this foundation and will be repurchasing, but always try a sample first!

on 5/9/2015 9:39:00 PM

I have used this foundation for about 2 years. I have combination skin and the reason why I use it is because it's the first foundation I found that doesn't break me out. It doesn't have an overwhelming smell and the colors match my skin. I don't need a lot of coverage so it's perfect. If you have combination skin you will need to blot your skin or use a setting powder. I tried blotting and a setting powder and blotting during the day works just fine for me.

I used to use this foundation about 4 years ago and had no issues, but since moving away and coming back to it, either the formula has changed or my skin has as I can't use it anymore.

I ended up buying this and a couple of Bobbi Brown skin care products recently. I have pretty normal skin, nothing big to cover, just a bit of an oily t-zone.

After using the skincare (extra lotion + hydrating face cream) plus the foundation for a couple of days, my face just went really awful, dry and scaley.

I attributed the change to the skincare rather than the makeup as I'd used the foundation before with no issues, so returned the cream and lotion, only to find that my skin just wouldn't get better. The foundation highlighted the dry patches on my forehead and cheeks horribly while also slicking away from my oily t-zone. I looked an absolute mess!

The colour choice is amazing, I'm 'warm ivory' and it is the most accurate colour match I've ever found in a foundation, but I just can't use it.

After a couple of days off this product, my skin has more or less returned to normal, so it was, unfortunately, definitely the foundation!

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I waited to review this foundation until I had gotten a lot of use out of it.

The biggest issue I had with this foundation is that prep is everything. As a sufferer of dry, flaky skin in the winter, it was nearly impossible to prep my skin enough. Even after exfoliating, moisturizing, priming, this foundation would never sit right. It has less coverage than a lot of tinted moisturizers (e.g. Bobbi Brown BB cream, or Bare Minerals Complexion Rescue). While I enjoy the light coverage (I like looking polished but natural), I had the hardest time buffing this in without a streaky, uneven, sort of dry result. I tried multiple brushes, sponges (including the beauty blender--which sheers it out too much) and multiple moisturizers and primers. The primers ranged from hydrating and water based to silicone based pore-fillers, and nothing worked. Aside from the initial sort of odd and patchy result, the foundation wouldn't last more than 6 or so hours.

And then.... I found the perfect combination. I typically use a hyaluronic acid serum in the morning, and on this particular morning I topped the serum with Estee Lauder DayWear Advanced Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant & UV Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (which I had hidden in my bathroom drawer, and which has a 4.4 star rating on MA). Then, I put the foundation on with Real Techniques expert face brush. Oh my goodness... I had the satin, glowing and even finish that I had always dreamed of!!! Powdered the T-zone a bit and it lasted all day. Repeated the steps the next day with the same result.

So... sorry for the long review, but the effectiveness of this foundation depends almost entirely on your prep and application method. It works better over EL's DayWear than it did over any moisturizer/primer combo I own, and applying it with a soft buffing brush with no harsh edges (much like Sephora's #56, or the Real Techniques one, or Morphe's G1) is key.

Can't give it a higher rating because having to buy other products to make the foundation work is inconvenient. I think this would do well on oilier skin types, because the foundation seems to need that slip that the EL DayWear gives. However, on oily skin it may not hold up during the day.

Rant over, hope this was useful for anyone trying to nail the application of this. With the right brush and moisturizer, this truly can look glowy/beautiful/your-skin-but-better.

This is a foundation with a beautiful finish.

It does give a stunning 'skin finish' after it dries down and blended out. I got compliments as if people would say 'You look good today!', which is pretty impressive as one of the foundations that people would compliment on my skin. However, I am not a fan.

It takes WAY TOO MUCH EFFORT for this foundation to work. First of all, it is very runny that feels very moisturising WHILE highlighting all dry patches. Even dry patches that I didn't know that they existed; despite having prepped my skin with macadamia+ intense moisturiser+moisturising primer. The result was so horrible in my first attempt that I got to wash it off, proceeded to redo my entire skincare routine this time prepping my skin with a more intense nighttime moisturiser. In my second attempt, those dry patches disappeared, yet when I applied this foundation it was still slightly streaky using the real techniques buffing brush. I needed to use my fingers, after using a brush, to help blend the foundation.

Secondly, the foundation looked extremely waxy until it dried down and was blended out to a decent finish...maybe after 5 minutes of ridiculous blending. However, this finish does not amount to decent coverage. I have decent skin, with no breakouts just a little bit of redness around the nose, yet my nose still looks kind of red after 2 layers. It is slightly disappointing.

I have tried numerous foundations from Chanel, Armani, YSL, MUFE face and body etc. and this foundation probably does provide slightly more coverage than MUFE, yet for MUFE it dries down much quicker without that waxy finish when I can quickly work on minimal concealing for a natural look. Don't get me wrong, this foundation is easily blendable due to its runny texture, however too much effort and time is needed.

After all these effort and powdering, it does give off that perfect skin-like finish which looks very natural and glowy. However, my nose started to get oily after 4 hours. I touched up with a handbag concealer after a 5-hour wear which wasn't like too terrible but thinking all the effort and a high price tag for this finish I am not sure if it's really worth it. For example using my YSL touche eclat foundation in my morning routine I will be able to finish both of my eyes, face makeup and get dressed in 20 minutes looking flawless and get compliments on my skin. Using Bobbi Brown skin I might have at least spent 15 minutes just working on my base.

Maybe I am just not a huge fan of 'zero coverage' foundation in general to begin with. I will still finish using this foundation because it is one of the fews that I will get compliments on, but I will only use it on holidays when I don't mind spending a ton of time in the morning. Two lippies.

on 4/1/2015 7:43:00 PM

The color range in this foundation line is excellent, which is why I gave it 3 stars. I just don't like the actual formula, though. I can't get even coverage & with or without primer this is cakey on my skin. Also, I don't feel like this ever sets & even with normal skin, the finish is too dewy for me.

on 3/29/2015 6:42:00 PM

I don't recommend this to people who have combination or oily skin. I tried it before buying and it stayed in my face all day long but at the end of the day, I was very disappointed because my t-zone were shining like a diamond.