September 30, 2014 | 1806 users online

Polishes - Essie - Sexy Divide

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2014 12:18:00 AM More reviews by emmiemc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a really nice deep purple. The color is about as close to black as you'll get, while still definitely being purple. As for the shimmer apparent in the bottle -- there's enough to add some dimension to the color, but it's certainly not emough to be noticeable.

The brush is thin, like all Essie brushes, and the formula is okay. It's a little streaky, but once opaque it's much better.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2013 4:53:00 AM More reviews by marieeve28

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

! beautiful color I love

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by redeyelinerjunkie

I reeeeallly wanted to like this color.

In the bottle, it looked like the royal purple version of Aruba Blue (one of my favorites -- not just in the Essie line, but of all time). Unfortunately, the shimmer in this one is less dense than in Aruba Blue, so the coverage isn't as good and the color doesn't have as much impact.

Shimmer nail polishes are usually impossible to apply unevenly, but this one was almost impossible to apply evenly (in two coats that is). Since the shimmer isn't very dense, it applies somewhat like a jelly, which is always awkward. Once on, it's a fairly nice color -- but not earth-shattering, like it would be if it lived up to its bottle color.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 11:19:00 AM More reviews by JaanBlack

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOOOOVE this purple and I am really not into shimmery colors...this is my HG deep purple and it pops on most skin tones

rated 2 of 5 on 12/31/2012 9:52:00 AM More reviews by 8erica8

Against my very pale skin it just looked too dark and cold. I hated it and gave it away.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/19/2012 2:10:00 PM More reviews by leavingthingsbehind

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Beautiful deep purple nail varnish with some pink, red and blue micro shimmer, one of my Essie's favourites. Two coats give opaque colour that with a topcoat lasts on me without any chipping for 5 days. The colour is actually amazing - almost foil like !

I bought it when my favourite purple from Inglot (no177) got a bit gloopy but it is not an exact dupe (Inglot has more red to it in the micro glitter as well as in the base colour also appears darker on nails than Essie).

I am very pale and my skintone has yellow undertones so on my hands, with short neat nails 'Sexy Divide' makes a striking statement that gets loads of compliments.

The formula and a new wide brush make the application easy and flawless in just two coats. Actually some of my nails when applied with a steady hand had a good, non streaky look with just one coat but a second coat gave them a real depth of colour.

The only minor fault imho is that the colour requires a very glossy topcoat applied every two days as it can go a bit too flat for me and I like my nails to be very very glossy.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by spyral

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a moody deep, dark purple. I prefer cream polishes so when I got the bottle in the mail, I was a bit skeptical because it's got a lot more shimmer in it than expected. However, on the nail it is elegant and refined. It darkens up a bit but I think that's what lends to its sophistication. If you love purple, I think Sexy Divide is pretty damn perfect.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 4:52:00 PM More reviews by smanha

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Just a beeeeeeeeeeet too dark for me, but I'm super pale. A slinky, shimmery dark purple that looks good with 3 coats. My roommate has OPI Ink, but I got this as a lighter alternative. Definitely recommended!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/15/2012 9:31:00 PM More reviews by PinkAfroQueen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like the color in the bottle but it falls short on my nails because....
It goes black against my dark skin. It did the same thing as OPI Ink just dark purple that looks almost black on me. I prefer OPI Grape Set Match for my dark purple nail polish because you can still tell it's purple.
Sexy Divide applied nicely and I can totally get how people with fair skin can like this but for those with dark skin steer clear of this purple.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by cloroxcowgirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

This polish is a shimmery Crown Royal purple, which looks great in the fall and winter. I feel like its a little dark for summertime but when September rolls around I will definitely be putting it back into my np rotation. The formula is great - I would classify it as a 'good' Essie (non-streaky with great staying power). The only reason I didn't rate this a 5 is that even though the color is gorgeous and well done, I feel like I've have seen it before. I guess that is a hazard of being a serious np collector lol. But I would still rec. this color if you are looking for a cool toned dark purple as it really is lovely :)