November 22, 2014 | 1373 users online

Treatments (Face) - Retacnyl Tretinoin Cream 0.025%

rated 4 of 5 on 7/24/2014 12:05:00 AM More reviews by wishingoceans

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Previously I used this at 5% and in gel format. It did not work at all. As a lower percentage cream however, it's great! Within hours of having this on I can literally see acne disappear before my very eyes, it reduces inflammation and made my skin pretty much completely clear. I've only been using it for a week or two, so I haven't seen any noticeable difference in acne scars or my rosacea yet.

Take note: I love to use this during the day to make my skin extra acne-free, but it's nooot a good idea, especially if you have really sensitive dry skin like me. Overusing it has made my face start peeling a bit around the mouth area and it makes my skin burn a bit. Still, great product, just restrict it to night use.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2014 11:46:00 PM More reviews by Sonamchandi

Ive been using steiva cream for 4 months and i use the 0.025, it has made no difference yet i still get painful pimples on my forehead and chin. I have a very oily face and it kindof controls that but maybe i need to stick with it a bit longer

rated 3 of 5 on 3/14/2014 6:43:00 PM More reviews by Anavarrete

hello everyone,

this is not really a review, kinda just wanted some advice.
I've been on tretinoin creme 0.025% for 8 weeks now. Its actually
my second day into my 8th week and my cheeks and lower jaw will
not catch a break. I have red marks/scars in those places and
i'll wake up with white heads in those areas like every morning.
Not as many as before however. I do notice changes in my skin though.
Like, the texture is alot smoother and the pimples do go awa a lot quicker,
but the leave red marks everytime. I'm just wondering when the white heads will
stop and the redness wit go down as well. anyone?

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2013 2:42:00 PM More reviews by Caramel_Apples

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I tried a higher % of Tretinoin cream a few years ago, and it actually was the product that gave me lasting scars more than anything else. My skin became so red and painful in the middle of the break-out stage that I couldn't possibly continue using the product to heal the break-outs it caused. Not a fun time.

But I'm so glad I gave tretinoin a chance again, at a lower percentage. Ever since using this cream, my skin looks so smooth, and my scars are finally fading. I've tried so many other things for scars, from cheap Fair & Lovely cream, to lemon juice, to more expensive AHA/BHAs, and glycolic acid 5% and 10%. Even 15% TCA peels that leave you housebound for a week while the outer layer of your skin completely peels off. None of them made a visible difference, amazingly, and I view all of that as a waste of money.

I've been using Tretinoin 0.025% for about two months now. My skin was fine the first week, with some reduction in pores and a nicer skin tone. Then the purging started, which really only affected my chin (many whiteheads for about 2-2.5 weeks) and forehead (breakouts that lasted about a week). This past month, the only side effect I've had to deal with has been dryness and peeling. I had dry skin before using this, and even though my skin doesn't feel particularly dry, I still wake up to peeling around the chin and lip area. It's lessened a lot from the 2nd-3rd week, though.

The best thing about this cream might be that thanks to insurance, it costs about $1 for a month's supply.
I'll update if anything changes, but for now, this is easily HG. I can't possibly see any reason to waste money on anything else.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2013 11:59:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

I randomly had an incredibly severe breakout. Not sure what caused it, no new products, my face just went nuts. I've never suffered from acne before, but suddenly had cystic acne everywhere. It was painful and I was embarrassed to go out without tons of makeup on.

I got a tube of the tretinoin cream to try to clear it up and from the day I started using it onwards, no more zits. My partner suffers from severe scarring acne and he uses the same cream in the same concentration and it has completely eliminated the problem. It hasn't helped the pitted scars much on him, but has made any red scars completely invisible.

I noticed that my skin where I was applying the cream was much nicer than the rest of my face. The pores were smaller, the fine lines were getting less visible, and the oil production was more balanced. I expanded the area I was applying it to anywhere with large pores or lines, skipping dry areas and areas without those issues.

It's only 2 weeks in but I think this is the best thing I've done for my skin in a long time. My pores are nearly invisible, which gives my skin an incredible looking texture and glow. The small fine lines are gone on my forehead and around my mouth. And of course, NO zits whatsoever.

I apply this by washing with my clarisonic and moisturizing well, then waiting about an hour and applying this immediately before going to bed. I have a little mirror and the tube on my bedside table and just put it on while I'm reading or watching Hulu. I am diligent about my SPF, which I think also helps. My day cream has SPF, my primer has SPF, my foundation has SPF, my powder has SPF, and in addition to it I put on an SPF 50 before applying makeup.

This stuff is great! I highly recommend trying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2012 10:23:00 AM More reviews by tricia_g_c

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Other, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have Retisol-A 0.025% which may be what it is sold as in Canada.
I was referred to a dermatologist for my acne and sebaceous hyperplasia. Fortunately, benzaclin prescribed by my GP cleared up the acne. My derm prescribed the retisol to reduce the oil on my face which is does but as bonuses, my skin is smoother, brighter, the acne scars are fading and a little goes a long way. It spreads very nicely. I take my pea-sized amount, dot it on my forehead, cheeks, nose, chin and temples and rub it in from those dots.
I have NOT had any redness or irritation from it possibly because it's only 0.025%. I have even used it twice a day with no negative effects. Currently, I cut back to once a day at night. It's getting a little complicated to schedule all the product. This is how I do it, at least this week. Day 1, Boots MicroDerm Exfoliator in the morning followed by lots of moisturizer, retisol-a in the evening. Day 2, Benzaclin in the morning, retisol-a in the evening. Seems to be working.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/6/2011 5:19:00 AM More reviews by nidhaAzam

So maybe I can't write the BEST review yet, but i'd still like to share with everyone with acne-prone skin how this product has worked for me thus far. I just finished my 8th week on the tretinoin 0.025% cream and i've been using it every other night consistently. I would describe my acne as being mild to sometimes moderate? It has its days when it just freaks out and days when it looks totally normal. Literally as soon as I turned 20 I started to get the occasional under the skin red, hard pimple that doesn't seem to surface, but is totally painful for a couple of days. It was when they started occurring more frequently that I started freaking out! I was introduced to clarasonic, the "cleansing system" and for the first six months of its use, my skin seriously changed for the better. I wasn't getting the usual breakouts anymore and it became almost perfect again, with the very small hint of HP left behind. However, I developed these really tiny, hard pimples on my forehead that just WOULD NOT go away! I even switched my cleanser, but they persisted. They didn't look "bad" but in certain lighting they looked absolutely gross! Around this time my right cheek also broke out with a couple of really painful/hard pimples. So i ran to the derm and asked him about retin a. He seemed a little skeptical, but he prescribed it to me nonetheless. However, he made the MISTAKE of giving me the 0.05% strength. I have NO IDEA why he would think to start me on the medium strength. So for three days of using this product nightly, my skin was peeing in sheets. ugh. Not only that, but it was painful and sore to the touch so much so that it hurt to apply moisturizer. I knew I had to get the lower strength. So after a couple of calls to the derm and the pharmacy I got started on my retinoid journey. I automatically noticed a couple of new ugly additions to my face, but I reassured myself that it was the just the initial breakout. It was very mild and within days I noticed a clarity to my face. The hard/small pimples on my forehead were GONE and it was finally smooth! Previous scars began to fade and face took on almost a "porcelin-like" appearance. I did notice an increase in oil production. So after eight weeks, I can say that I still get breakouts, but they've become more minimal in size and they clear up faster. The downfall with this product is the HP that results after even the smallest of pimples and I know this is only because the skin becomes considerably thin. In addition, since I've been using it every other night, I feel as though I've avoided majority of the initial breakout. I did notice the few days in a row when I applied the cream, I had a new pimple the next day to deal with. So my message to the rest of the retin a world is to TOTALLY use this product (because it's amazing and makes you look fab) minimally. Every other day is perfect for me. I also feel as though the retinoid needs a couple of days to really kick in anyway. My skin always peels the second day after applications, never really the first, make of it what you will. I can't wait to hit the three month mark with this product. I look forward to seeing if my breakouts with subside completely or not. Btw, don't get me wrong, my skin is totally fine. It takes a few of dabs of concealer to perfectly hide a couple of the HP marks. I'm just paranoid and hate the thought of marks on my face, the same way we're all OBSESSED with our faces. I wish you all luck on this journey!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2009 8:08:00 AM More reviews by Aniger86

My derm. had initially wanted to prescribed me with Stieva-A, but later changed her mind and gave me Retacnyl instead as she said this is better. I have not heard of this product prior to using it. I use it only on my T-Zone as the skin on my cheeks are too sensitive for it. I would say it works better compared to Differin Gel (which I rated two lippies). My problems for T-Zone are- lots of small blemishes on forehead, alot of blackheads on the nose, and cluster of white heads on the chin. I have used Retacnyl for 10 weeks now and I can say the blemishes on my forehead are lesser and smaller, the blackheads on my nose still appear, but since using this, they are easier to squeeze out, and the white heads on my chin are a little less prominent. However, the results are not consistent, one week my T-Zone could look clearer, and the next week it could act up again. Method of usage- I apply nightly, waiting at least half hour for the skin to dry before application. I use it consecutively for a few days, and then let my skin take a break for another few days before I repeat the cycle so the skin doesn't get too dry and becoming too red. One point to note is I suspect Retacnyl is cheaper than Stieva-A. I paid USD11 for Retacnyl. I used Stieva-A a few years back and can't recall how much I paid, but I think it should be around USD18.