December 22, 2014 | 1875 users online

Treatments (Face) - pH Advantage - Acne Treatment AM Clarifying Hydrator Gel

rated 2.0(1 review)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2009 9:23:00 PM More reviews by alisha_the_kitten

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is an acne cream gel that has lactic acid and 1% salicylic acid, among other ingredients. It comes in a squeeze tube (2.5 fl. oz.) with the cap on the bottom. A little bit of product always dries up in the cap, so the packaging tends to waste a tiny amount of product. I do like that the box and tube have the expiration date on them. It does also list the pH level, but I've never taken the time to understand that stuff.

I should mention that I only used the AM and PM acne serums, so my results might be different from someone who uses the whole pH Advantage acne line (cleanser, serums and spot treatment) at the same time. I also want to mention that the tube of the AM serum I bought from SkinStore.com expired before I finished using it, so their supply might be hit or miss in terms of how old your pH Advantage products will be. The AM and PM serums are both relatively large and will last you at least a few months.

I find that this stuff usually stings a tiny bit when I first apply it, which is probably due to the lactic acid. It doesn't seem to irritate my skin, though. It has a slight fresh scent, but it's not too noticeable. I think this product has helped fade some of the acne pigmentation marks on my skin. It's harder to tell if it helps get rid of blemishes, but I still broke out while using it. The majority of my breakouts were the stubborn hormonal chin pimples, though. It didn't seem to help the stubborn acne that I did get go away much faster. The rest of my face was relatively clear and smooth, possibly thanks to this product. My biggest problem with this product is that it leaves a (non-greasy) film over my skin that rubs off throughout the day. It could just be body chemistry or something since I've had slight problems with other products (Boscia Oil-Free Daily Hydration, Leaf & Rusher Acne Serum Tx, etc.) doing this before, though this product is much worse. If I want to apply makeup after applying this, I have to wait at least a half an hour and gently rub my skin with a dry washcloth to get the film off. It's also a bummer that the company didn't shorten the number of ingredients they used -- was it really necessary to put all those random extracts in there? And what about the tiny bit of dye?

I wouldn't repurchase at this point. It didn't seem to do a lot for my hormonal acne, and the film it left was really gross and annoying. I would recommend this to someone who likes the salicylic/lactic acid combination, especially since my bad results might be just because of body chemistry. I'd give this 2.5 lippies if I could.