September 23, 2014 | 1831 users online

Toners - isopropyl alcohol

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by sallyso

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't understand why there is so much negative press out there about using rubbing alcohol to treat pimples. When I was a teens/college student, I tried retin-a, benzoyl peroxide, antibotics,salicyclic acid, sulfer, etc... and nothing worked. I ended up with very irritated skin and scarring on my cheeks. Now that I am a mother and my teen daughter and son have acne, we tried duac,differin, mario badescu drying lotion, pimple stickers, etc and these medications either did nothing or made things worse. We spot treat the pimples and they are usually completely gone in a week (no redness, no marks). As for back acne /focullitis, it is gone in a few days. For the life of me I can't understand why people complain that rubbing alcohol damages your skin and not to use it. Retina and other prescription medication also damage your skin more severely in my opinion after having used them. I'd rather use it and possibly have a little dryness but it is very very effective for getting rid of pimples then have it turn into a major infection with acne scars that are permanent.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 1:05:00 PM More reviews by moodieaf22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff has been a savior for my skin! When I was younger and started breaking out, I began to use ProActiv which completely cleared my face and for years, I would only have the occasional pimple. Recently I have heard that the Proactiv line is terrible for your skin in the long run. I never had completely clear skin, but it never bothered me and was never noticeable. Recently, my friend started selling Mary Kay and convinced me that the TimeWise product line would work wonders on the small, unnoticeable blemishes on my face.

Reluctantly, I tried it and my skin began to have more breakouts than usual, and more than just during my period. I thought that maybe my skin was adjusting to the product and the fact that I hadn't had a daily regimen for cleaning my face in years. After about a month, my face seemed horrible. I messaged my friend and she suggested I try their ClearProof line. In the beginning, I noticed immediate results, but after a week, my skin started breaking out the worst I have ever seen it. I began to get bright red and severely painful acne all over my cheeks and chin. They would look like they were getting better, only to have it become inflammed again. I had never seen my face in that state.

I started to become extremely self conscious about my skin. I didn't want to go out in public or even see my own family because of how embarrassed I was about my face. My friend suggested I try a mask on my face to deep clean my pores but I didn't want to ruin my skin any more than I already had. My boyfriend suggested two things to me: only wash my face with a hot washcloth in the morning and at night, and also to use 70% isopropyl alcohol on my face. I use the green kind, which has wintergreen.

I am not kidding when I say that I will NEVER use another "miracle product" on my face after starting this regimen. I applied the alcohol to my entire face with a cotton swab in the morning and at night. I am going to start limiting it to once a day, and then maybe even less because I don't want my skin to dry out and strip it of too many natural oils. I haven't even been using this product for A WEEK and already my skin is nearly clear. The redness greatly reduced within the first day and my acne has either gone down in size or has vanished. My pores, which were clogged with dirt and completely visible, now appear smaller and have no clogging.

I seriously recommend this for anyone who is suffering from terrible acne with no relief. Like I said, I wake up in the morning, run a washcloth under hot water and apply it to my face (I do this three times) and then run the washcloth under cold water and apply it to my face once to close up my pores so no new dirt can get in. I then put the alcohol on a cotton ball and wipe it all over my face, concentrating mostly on the areas that are affected with acne. I do the same process at night. Also, as I stated, I am going to cut it down to once a day because my skin has gotten so much better and I don't want to dry it out and create another problem.

I hope this helps! I have pictures on my page of a before and after of my skin (5 days apart).

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 4:03:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

How could you not love this. It is so inexpensive and you can purchase anywhere.

Just dab a little on a cotton ball and your face will clear up a little and get softer. Just don't overdo it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by StephKatz1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Very nice for the value. You can buy anywhere for under 5 dollars and you apply to a cotton ball then put on your face and you feel soft and my face looked very refreshed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2013 8:49:00 PM More reviews by NancyChance

YEP. I'm reviewing a bottle of Isopropyl Rubbing Alcohol. Why? Because I can't live without a bottle of this stuff. If I get a big zit, the first thing I do is rub it down with a cotton ball soaked in IA. By the next morning, it's always much smaller than it was the night before and by the next night, it's gone! This stuff is a miracle. Truly one of my HGs for cleaning my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 3:21:00 PM More reviews by TeeCube

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this almost all my life (am 39 now) for skin care. I use the 91% kind and I have no problems with it. Just straight out of the bottle onto a cotton ball or pad then wipe face and ears. I have oily skin so for me it is perfect. Isopropyl alcohol is a multi-use product, and I make the most of it. Straight out of the bottle for skin, mixed with vinegar and water as universal household cleaner, disinfectant. Yes it sounds strange to use something on skin that can also clean your home, but I have no problem with that. It's simple and it works beautifully. Very inexpensive too and easily found in drug and grocery stores. Love it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 9:47:00 PM More reviews by theurbanhippie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have had the same bottle of IA from Walgreen's since 2009 when my son was born. Being short on cash and my usual toner I decided in desperation to try IA as a toner.

Boy was I shocked! In less than a 10 minutes I had baby soft skin instead of the rough, orange peel feeling stuff I've been dousing with Retin A, Meclan, antibiotics, Clearasil, Cetaphil and every single thing under the sun since 1982.

The smell is rough and you should definitely use it in a well-ventilated area but I'm pretty impressed after 3 days of using it morning and night. The pores on my nose and cheeks are actually shrinking.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 5:22:00 AM More reviews by nubletta

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

A staple for any bathroom. I use this to disinfect everything. Wouldn't dare use it on my face though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2011 1:58:00 AM More reviews by janet1028

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

There is nothing good about using alcohol on your skin. It can really cause problems like over-stimulating the oil gland at the base of the pore.

That being said, I can't live without it. Everyone who has said they put it on blemishes and get overnight relief is so right!

All of those years of salicylic acid and cremes and gels and...I have a vague recollection of using this as a teen. Maybe it was witch hazel. But I like witch hazel, too!

The shame!

4 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2011 9:12:00 AM More reviews by MYCATSHADOW

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a miracle product for EVERYTHING... I buy 2 large bottles every week of the 70% concentration. I use it to wipe down my makeup compacts/bottles, use it to clean my hands b4 I touch my face or apply any type of cosmetic, use it to disinfect eyeglasses/sunglasses, & I use it on acne blemishes b4 applying any type of acne treatment. I think that I may even try it to "spot clean" my makeup brushes between shampoos instead of my usual expensive brush cleanser that I happen to go through 2 full bottles per week! (Can't keep up forking over $24.00 for 2 bottles of brush cleanser every week...) This might be a good money saving alternative to the brush cleanser. Can't be without this product!!! HG by all means. I feel weird when I have to go without using this product. This is my definite "security blanket product".

EDIT: I also now use this as a toner twice a day. ACNE & OIL ARE IN CHECK!!!! Don't listen to all the negativity about using alcohol on the face. Everyone's skin is different. If you are suffering from oily or acne prone skin, I seriously believe that isopropyl alcohol will be nothing less than completely beneficial to you. My skin has never felt cleaner...

Such a ridiculously cheap, everyday miracle worker. I wish I could give isopropyl alcohol 10 stars!!!

11 out of 19 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No