April 16, 2014 | 862 users online

Cleansers - Simple - Pure Soap for Sensitve Skin

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2012 5:31:00 PM More reviews by LailaE

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Was using Clinique mild soap for ages, but this is pretty much the same. A little more frothy and stripping (cleansing) but this is why I have now changed. It is great, simple, cheap and gets all dirt off my face. And at about $2 a bar it's only 10% of the price of Clinique soap. Happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2009 4:52:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm quite surprised that no-one has reviewed this yet, for its original purpose: as a facial cleanser. This is plain, basic, no-frills, mild soap. Bar soap. That thing we're supposed to fear: if your skin is OK with plain soap, or at least you've no known disagreements with it, give it a try. Obviously, if your skin doesn't like soap, or you have one of the conditions for which it is not advised, please don't!

Excellent for cleansing sensitive skin. Similar ingredients to Clinique's mild soap, but with more glycerin and less of the non-soapy stuff. Unfragranced. Same size bar (150 g), lasts as long, and like it, should be kept in a soap-dish with draining holes at the bottom, and keep covered when not in use.

My one issue - and hence 3 lippies (make it 3.5?) - is that is is a little drying; I prefer a creamier cleanser. Still a good thing to have around.

I've been through several cleansers recently, and am now back to My Old Trusty Favourites. I used the Simple for many years. Tried some other bars - Neutrogena, Clinique, Avene, Dr Bronner's, various baby soaps - and the Simple and Dr Bronner's are the two best, for my skin. Functional - but with irritable skin, that can be asking a lot: no reactions and properly clean.

Method of use might make a difference. I use a washcloth, and tepid water. Pat dry. A spritz of Avene water, then witch-hazel on a cotton-wool pad, then moisturiser (and sunscreen in the morning).

This is certainly enough to remove lighter-weight physical sunscreen (Clarins UV Plus 40 currently); I use a separate eye make-up remover (oil on a pad), and would pre-cleanse with oil if wearing more make-up on face.

There are two reviews for this under body > soaps/gels. I don't like this as a body cleanser - and Simple does good body washes. Meanwhile, it seems a little unfair that there are other soaps listed as facial cleansers, and Simple's liquid soaps listed there are not as good (for my skin) as this, and more expensive.

Costs somewhere around 1.50- 2.50 EUR/GBP for a 150 g. bar, and is readily available in Britain and Ireland. Also available in multi-packs of 2 or 4 (4 for EUR 3 or 4). There are similar soaps in the US - check ingredient lists - but the nearest similar effect I had was from Dr Bronner's baby/unscented bar soap (available in health food / "green" stores, and also inexpensive). Simple products have been on the UK market for a long time; no animal testing; and their old slogan - which they've always lived up to - was "no perfume, no colour, just kind." They also have an excellent Baby range and a rather good new Derma one, for very dry skin conditions.

INGREDIENTS: Sodium Tallowate, Sodium Cocoate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate, Sodium Chloride, Glycerin, Tetrasodium EDTA, Etidronic Acid
continued >>