Neutrogena Pure & Free Baby SPF 60

3.3

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%) Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, Arachidyl Alcohol, Arachidyl Glucoside, Ascorbic Acid, Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Extract, Beeswax, Behenyl Alcohol, Benzyl Alcohol, BHT, Bisobolol, Butylene Glycol, Butyloctyl Salicylate, Cetyl Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Dimethicone PEG 8 Laurate, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Disodium EDTA, Ethylhexylglycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Isohexadecane, Methicone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pantothenic Acid, PEG 100 Stearate, PEG 8, Polyaminopropyl Biguanide, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Polysorbate 60, Potassium Sorbate, Retinyl Palmitate, Silica, Stearic Acid, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Trisiloxane, Water, Xanthan Gum 5/21/09

on 8/25/2015 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Dear God, this burns like hellfire! I am finding that most Neutrogena sunscreens just hurt. Looking like I have a nasty sunburn before I even get out the door sucks.
I do have sensitive skin, and finding a good sunscreen is difficult. This, the Sensitive skin formula, and the Drytouch sunscreens were all a fail for me. The Sport version for faces hurt a bit less, but always managed to get in my eyes. However, even highly-rated La Roch Posay sunscreen resulted in a nasty chemical burn.
I am now using Blue Lizard sunscreen for faces. It is on the thick and goopy side, but it stays put and does its job.
I hated this, and while my mom and sister did not experience any adverse reactions, they weren't crazy about the greasy texture. The reason this only gets two lippies: My nephews really loathed it. It always managed to get in their eyes right away. Really, what child isn't going to rub their eyes or squirm around while you try to smear sunscreen on them? Chemical sunscreens just don't make sense for young children or infants.
For me and many others, mineral based sunscreens are a better option.
Otherwise, go for the Drytouch if you are not sensitive.

on 8/20/2015 6:22:00 PM

This product was pretty good on the beach and offered great protection. This cream was water-resistant, I used it for about 6 hours in and out of the water, and never had to reapply. I like that it uses mineral sunscreen as opposed to chemical sunscreens. This cream really sinks into the skin and does not wipe off easily or feel greasy. The formula leaves quite a lot to be desired in terms of the ingredients list, but for the price, this is a very reasonable sunscreen.

on 8/20/2015 4:23:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Barring individual skin sensitivities (jojoba oil does it for me), this is a top of the line sunscreen as far as protection & quality. I've been wearing zinc oxide &/or titanium dioxide for 20+ years, and the pics of my 43-44 yo skin are a testament of it. It's not for everyone, but the only alternative to blocking UVA & UVB rays is Avobenzone, which breaks down within two hours of sun exposure & requires frequent reapplication.

Words of advice:

1. Zinc oxide & titanium dioxide are PHYSICAL blockers, offering additional protection against pollutants. EXPECT A HEAVY FEEL--you are applying fine minerals to your skin. Zinc oxide has skin-healing properties, which is why you see it in diaper creams & creams used for wheelchair/bed bound people suffering or at risk for skin breakdown at pressure points (where the bone breaks down skin from the inside out due to how long they are sitting/laying down).

2. It does have a whitish cast unless it is tinted (try Paula's Choice Resist Super-light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF 30). Since it's a physical block, until you get used to it, expect an initial feeling that your skin can't breathe. That's the trade off: looking like you're in your 40's when you're in your 30's or taking hyper-vigilant care of your skin & looking like you're in your 30's in your 40's. I've met plenty of women ten years younger who I initially guessed were my age, all because of being slaves to sun & tanning beds. We all know someone who is more wrinkled than their years because of neglecting their skin.

3. It can be drying. I have very dry skin. I use an antioxidant serum, a thick cream in a tube (jars nullify any antioxidants as soon as you open them since oxygen is present), then sunscreen (and at night, it's the same but I put on a coat of Aquaphor or Vaseline to keep it all airtight). I think the dryness has more to do with the products formulation. If this is a problem, I recommend trying Alba Natural Very Emollient Sunscreen mineral protection SPF 20. It has a lovely array of antioxidants & emollients and I find the whitish cast is not as pronounced as Neutrogena's mineral-based sunscreens, which is in-part related to the milling of the zinc. But back to the dryness. It's easily cured: experiment and do your research, choosing scientific & medical studies rather than personal opinions as your guide. Ask for or buy samples when possible, or try generics of name brands that include the same ingredients--I usually do this. Walgreen's is a reliable favorite, if not preferred.

4. It is greasy & often never "dries," so I put on a dusting of powder (currently using Revlon Colorstay compact in medium, but Paula's Choice Healthy Finish SPF 15 is super with the extra sun protection, too). I don't care if I have a glow. I'll take any glow & get over any whitish cast, looking ten years younger instead of wrinkly with discolorations & permanent skin damage, not to mention skin cancer. That permanent damage is your DNA being changed, and once that permanently sets, those damaged cells then start changing other healthy cells into mutants--that's how cancer spreads & tumors grow, in simple terms.

Skin cancer warnings: skin cancer isn't the most common cancer, but it is THE DEADLIEST because it often isn't diagnosed until it has spread to and affected other organs (http://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-information/melanoma). Additionally, it STINKS. I once had a patient with a melanoma that had grown to 2 x 4" on the side of his face, and you could smell it from 6 feet away. That's also why they have dogs trained to sniff it out (no kidding), but don't count on a dermatologist keeping a dog on staff to catch it early for you.

Think about that when you dislike the "heavy" feel and crave laying out or a tanning bed. Wrinkles, blotchiness, stinking, & possible death, but if you're lucky they'll be able just to cut off the patch on your face & fix it with skin cut from the back of your arm. At least treatment has come a long way.

I'll stick to my daily zinc oxide sunscreen routine.

Check out my pics for proof that a vigilant skin care routine including heavy duty, mineral-based sunscreen and avoiding UVA/UVB exposure pays off. And hey! I live near & love the beach, so while you can't have it all, you can have enough to stay satisfied & look incredible.

on 6/21/2015 3:01:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Bottom line: Do. Not. Recommend.
Pros: Effective, broad spectrum sunscreen. Does not budge one bit, even while sweating profusely. Does not sting/irritate eyes. Doesn't irritate skin if you use a sensitizing medication (like Retin-A). Good price point.
****
Cons: Looks like white costume makeup for Halloween - even if you have extremely fair skin like I do, it is VERY NOTICEABLE. Never completely rubs in, even after several minutes. Not comfortable to wear; feels very sticky and heavy. Difficult to remove (plan to use a scrubby pad or Clarisonic and cleanse twice). Basically, this stuff looks and feels yucky. The only good thing about it is that it's an effective sunscreen and will shield your face from wrinkles and skin cancer. For the $10 I spent, I will at least try to use it up when I'm only going to be exercising outdoors and won't be doing other errands first (it really does look that bad on me). I only gave it 2 stars because it DOES work as intended and is truly non-irritating.

I broke out in a bright red rash!! I'm positive it was this stuff. I used my cortizone cream to clear it up, but if you have sensitive skin-- don't use this junk!!

on 8/8/2014 7:29:00 AM

lots of pros:
- fragrance free
- does not irritate my eyes or skin
- mineral based/ no chemical sunscreen ingredients
- broad spectrum (uva/uvb) protection
- dries matte most of the time
- seems to have more staying power than other (greasier) formulations

cons (why i can't personally recommend)
- formula can be gritty (gunks up around edges of bottle and often peels off in little white globs throughout the day, so it can get a little messy)
- leaves a blue-ish white cast on my warm/yellow toned skin (very odd and zombie-like-- though this might work fine if you have fair skin w/blue undertones)

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4.9%), Zinc Oxide (4.7%)

on 6/25/2014 12:49:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Ok, I am in week one of using this product. Let me start out by saying I've never worn sunscreen due to the fact that most of them are greasy, and have an all too familiar smell. Most of my life, I've stayed indoors, and left my time outside time to a minimum, being so fair and all. This product is Awesome!!! yes it may leave a very slight white cast but the pros weigh the cons for this product.

Pros: Does not smell like sunscreen. ( yay!)
Leaves a lovely matte finish.
Fills in your pores much like a primer.
Hydrates like a moisturizer
100% naturally sourced sunscreen ingredients.
Water resistant
And for the oily and acne prone......no breakouts!!!

Cons: If you are a darker skin tone, it may lighted the skin tone from the zinc and titanium dioxide ( but that's what bronzer is for).

So all in all its the best sunscreen I have ever used. Give it a try!

on 4/1/2014 3:50:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Cute packaging and the ingredients are very acne friendly however the white cast on this stuff is INSANE. In addition to ghost face, this stuff makes ALLLLL my foundation just slide off my face. I will be using this only for beach days. Would not recommend.

Cute packaging and good price for the protection you get. However this sits white on my skin, and it stains my black clothes like no other sunscreen I've used. I definitely don't recommend!

I broke out in an itchy rash all over my arms from this. I let it clear up and waited a couple weeks then used it again just on one arm, and it broke out in a rash again. I'm not sure what the ingredient is but I'm allergic to something in Pure & Free.