November 23, 2014 | 947 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - #165 Contouring Brush [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2011 6:35:00 PM More reviews by jay4jazz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This brush, is so soft, so much softer than my other MAC goats hair brushes. I like the shape, and while I don't think it is a necessary brush, I think it can perform lots of handy trucks, such as applying blush, contour, highlighter on the cheeks, it can also apply powder under the eyes and around the nose and mouth, sometimes I also use it to do a quick blending of eyeshadows. Hopefully MAC repromotes or makes this permanent, it is a fabulous brush!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/16/2010 12:56:00 PM More reviews by jennnifer1911

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love most MAC brushes and this is no exception. The only reason I gave this a 4 instead of a 5 is because I feel that there is probably a dupe out there which could probably do the same job....with that said I still love this brush.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/19/2010 2:18:00 AM More reviews by meganmomoney

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this brush! My favorite use for it is highlighting my cheekbones, but I also like to use it for setting my under eye concealer with powder. I would recommend using a brush guard with this brush to help it keep its shape and stay nice and tapered because otherwise it can have a tendency to fluff out a bit. Other than that I think it's a very versatile brush. You can also use it for contouring and blush.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2010 4:35:00 PM More reviews by MiniHorsey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this brush. It's the perfect size for strategically applying highlighters, blushes, contouring powders. Hasn't shed at all so far, and it's incredibly soft. I'm glad I bought several of these, they are great for almost everything!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/12/2010 11:41:00 PM More reviews by starrysim

I'm not sure that this is an essential brush in my rather large brush collection, but OH MY GOD it's so soft! It's definitely one of my softest brushes. I compared it side by side with a brand new 109, and the 109 is downright scratchy compared to this one. I also remember finding the 129 way too scratchy as well (I'm talking about all full size brushes here). This brush works well for contouring and highlighting, but it's too small for blush even for someone with small features like me. I also find the handle way too long - every single time I use it, I poke the mirror with the end. Did I mention how soooooft it is?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2010 7:49:00 PM More reviews by mimifrenzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This brush is nice to have around but not a complete necessity. I only use it as a highlighter. I like the small size and the dome shape. I got it from my CCO for no more than $20. I don't think i would of purchased it at full price.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/15/2010 1:06:00 PM More reviews by blondejunkie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

If this was not LE I would have a few. This is the perfect shape to highlight the "C" area around the eye to the temple and on the cheek bone. It's the perfection. It has more control than a blush brush and puts the right amount of product down. I have never had an application that is too heavy using this. I also like it to darken some of the blushes on the apples of my cheeks as well. I can not emphasize how much easier it is to control this brush than a regular domed blush brush or a contoured blush brush.

If you are just learning to highlight this is a great brush to hunt down. As I said, I love it with my MSFs and other shimmery highlighters. I do not own NARS Albatross, but I can imagine that this brush would lay it down beautifully!

The brush itself is nice and soft with natural hair bristles. Just be sure when you wash it to wrap the bristles somewhat snug in a paper towel and lay flat to air dry. This will keep the brush from splaying and help it keep it's shape.

I can never remember the brush numbers, so I put a little clear nail polish over the number so I can recall it. As typical of many MAC brushes, the lettering does wear off.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2010 3:14:00 AM More reviews by MsAzNqTpRiNcEsS

i have been lusting after this brush for the longest time & was mad coz it was LE!!! i visited my local cco but they didnt have it so i called my local mac & to my surprise, the SA told me they had ONE LEFT!! of course i had to snatch it up!!! i am a contouring freak coz im not too fond of my uber round face & it gives me precise contouring!!! waaaay better than my 168 & 169 brushes!!!!!! pricey but worth it!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2010 12:13:00 AM More reviews by carmenci99

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Okay, I have had really bad luck with MAC brushes, but this one is simply AMAZING: the shape, the softness of the bristles, the size, I simply love this brush so much I used to own 3 of them (I've downsized to two :))! I use it on a daily basis to apply ANY blush, from the least pigmented to the most insanely pigmented ones (like R&R's). Mind you, I'm really fair (NW5-NW10) and with this brush I can make pretty much any blush work on me, even the crazy pigmented ones that terrify me at first sight :). I also use it with loose highlighters, pressed powders, it works great with almost everything. I haven't tried to apply liquid foundation yet because I wear it rarely, but maybe I'll give it a try next time. Also, I don't think I've ever seen it shed, maybe a hair or two occasionally in a wash.
    All in all, it's a pretty amazing brush; I'm not happy with the price, I think it's too much, but if I couldn't find a cheaper alternative, I would repurchase.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/22/2010 1:07:00 AM More reviews by simera2371

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is the softest mac brush ever. I missed out on this brush the first time it came out in a collection, but when it was re promoted again i went and bought it the first day. It is the best highlighting brush out there, and great for contouring.