Annick Goutal Musc Nomade

4.2

on 4/23/2015 10:25:00 PM

Gorgeous, just gorgeous. Annick Goutal is a beautiful melder of scents, so that the end result is much, much more then the sum of it's parts. Musc Nomade is slightly animalic, creamy, soft musk, woody, with just a touch of sweetness - enough to satisfy but not overwhelm. It doesn't follow the normal top notes, middle notes, base notes march, but stays grounded in it's base with everything else dancing around it. It's a unisex perfume and very feminine in it's right moments. The one thing to note is that I have found the EDT to smell pathetically weak compared to the EDP. I had a decant, but did not know if it was the EDT or EDP. On going to smell it in the store many months later, I was given the EDT and immediately thought "Why did they reformulate and ruin such an incredible scent?!" The EDT in the bottle smells like a weak musk. After wearing it for an hour it slowly evolves with a hint of the beauty of the EDP, then it disappears and becomes nothing again. (The Perfume House being my very reliable choice where I sampled this.) The EDP on the other hand bursts out with beautiful wholeness - creamy and rich from the start to the finish. Full Bottle worthy!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This beauty starts out very smoky but within an hour mellows out into a warm, creamy musk with amber and only a slight hint of smoke. It's not a clean musk or animalic, but something in between. I love to spray this on a scarf so I can catch whiffs of it throughout the day. It's just such a comforting, easy to wear scent.

on 11/17/2014 4:47:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I've been on a Goutal kick. Over eighteen months I've collected some that I had sampled and some bought blind. I first bought the Musc Nomade Body Cream when my skin was very dry and the cream was online discounted. I figured I couldn't go wrong, soothe the skin and smell good too, a bit of musk, sure to fade quickly, no problem. The jaded perfume critic fell in love. I use it on my neck, shoulders, dťcolletage and on dry elbows. I simply had to have the perfume too, but I was wary, I've got a lot of perfume, so I only bought a 15ml tester. I will be buying a full bottle, it's right up there in my constant favourites. Elena from Perfume Shrine comments on the quality of Musc Nomade, the expensive Muscone, the beautiful balance of a touch of rose, ambrette seed, the milkiness that others have noted. Simply divine for musk lovers. It's quite close to Narciso R Musc Intense EDP but a touch more animalic. It's quite similar to Khiels but with rose petal softness.To me it smells of something that money just can't buy, understated good taste and it's the favourite AG of Isabelle Doyen according to an interview I saw. This is an expensive mistake if your olfactory system doesn't register that large muscone molecule so perhaps excercise some caution.

on 1/17/2014 9:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Annick Goutal has become my favourite perfume house almost overnight, thanks to the Les Orientalistes collection. Musc Nomade is perhaps my favourite of that collection. Ethereal, aloof and almost longing. As though there are no top notes or middle notes I can put my finger on. From start to finish is base notes, but it is not at all linear. A remarkable feat to produce a skin scent which actually smells like it's been embedded in the softest silk scarf or the most delicate lace gloves before you even apply it. It has the presence to appear as though it has already been warmed by a previous wearing. As though, perhaps, the scarf was blown away in a light sea breeze, to a remote and wonderous place where it lay on ancient ruins, sunning itself like a lizard. And what were the elements of the fragrance before they were placed on the silk scarf and embarked on their adventure? I imagine blue musks (no such thing, I know, but it is so aloof and regal), early morning rose, a light handed touch with amber (ambrette seeds in this case) and a hint of something tangy, almost like natural yoghurt. By the time it's been rescued from it's remoteness and transformed into Musc Nomade, it can't help but wear with beautiful sheerness and seductive confidence. Quite elusive at times. In my top 3 favourite musks and maybe the best skin scent I own....

on 4/6/2013 11:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

This is a sad, sad day. After a long day at work, I arrived at home to find a delivered package containing Musc Nomade and Ambre Fetiche. With a wagging tail I tore open the package and eagerly applied Musc Nomade to my wrist and started huffing away. Snort. Snort. WTF? Snort. Oh no. I am not able to smell parts of this composition. The musc note is incredibly faint and I think Iím detecting ambrette, but otherwise only pale amber with a touch of chicken soup fades in and out. As such, I will refrain from rating Musc Nomade because, sob, I just canít smell it! Take my advice: do not blind buy Musc Nomade!!!!

Next day edit: OK, this is completely perplexing, but now I think I can smell the composition. The musc is almost a texture, not a discernable note. Iím finding the MN experience very subtle and almost spooky. Itís like the ghost of someoneís flesh lingers in the air, but it is difficult to really describe what that flesh smells like; itís sort of like a faded memory that keeps snuggling with you. This is hands down the creepiest review Iíve written and Iím going to stop typing now.

Two days later: Yes, I can definately smell blackberry-musc accord, but the problem is that I need to dump half the bottle on my head to detect the whole composition.

Final verdict: MN is a unique, comforting musc with an almost haunting beauty. It is, however, wimpy beyond belief.

on 4/4/2013 7:22:00 AM

I am really surprised at the reviews for this fragrance. I find myself using this even more often than Eau D'Hadrien and Nuit D'Hadrien. It smells like a Morroccan household.
I collect Annick Goutal perfumes, but cannot stand Petit Cherie nor Le Jasmine.

on 1/21/2013 12:29:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

A little powdery, a little almondy, a little animalic, and very snuggly-wuggly. If you like warm, cozy musks, this one's a winner.

on 3/30/2011 5:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

A pretty, floral musk with great longevity. Not remotely as dirty MKK.

What a sensuous and hypnotic musk. I fell so hard for this after swapping for some I ran out and bought a larger bottle. It isn't squeaky clean like some of the more soapy white musks out there, doesn't exactly have MKK's carnal, "been up to naughty things" personality, but rather smells more spiritual and earthy while still managing to be an extremely seductive musk that just is without even trying. It isn't TBS's White Musk or even Body Time's Egyptian Musk. Far from those, so if that's the sort of musk you prefer, definitely try before buying. But as a lover of many musks that vary from soapy sweet to earthy, this is absolutely perfect and I hope it never gets discontinued.

on 2/3/2011 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Lovely pearly musk. My husband wrinkled his nose and said, "It smells not quite clean," but he says that about any musk other than the starchiest white ones. On the dirty-to-clean musk spectrum (with 5 being filthiest and 1 the most immaculate), I'd give this a 2.

Popular Fragrances